Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had decent battery life until recently and the only thing I've changed is adding Youview. Does anyone have any suggestions I love the app but I can't make it through the day on a single charge anymore.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I haven't noticed too big a hit in battery life since I started running it. But then again, I only get 1 or two voicemails a day so I'm not really using it all that much.

I don't think there is an option to change how often the app checks the server for new voicemails. Slowing that down might help, but then again, you'd have a longer lag in getting a voicemail.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I also recently started using YouView and have some issues with battery life, but I my battery life wasn't the best before YouView. You have a good question though, is YouView the problem?
    Did you also update the phone to 1.4 in the same time period? I know that I did both at the same time, youview and 1.4 within the same day I believe. For me it is tough to judge where the battery drain is resulting from. I may webos doctor my phone tonight, so I may delay updating to 1.4 and just use youview to double check this theory.
    I just download youview couple of days ago. I thought I noticed a little extra juice being used but didn't really effect my day to day.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I am a new user to YouView as well... I disagree about the battery life issue, and I have it automatically download my voicemails, so I know it's using at least some battery life which wasn't being used before. Since 1.4 my phone has had significantly better battery life and actually will make it to the end of the day without charge.

It's awfully hard to blame an app when your simply making an assumption.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  7.    #7  
    I'm not blaming the app just asking other opinions. I simply stated that it's the only thing i've changed on my phone since having the batter problem. I know it's not 1.4 because i updated at least a week before installing Youview and actually noticed better battery life.
    I'm going to run battery monitor to see what numbers I get. But I'm fine as of now with the battery life but I do know what I was getting before youview and we will see what is youview is pulling from the battery.

Follow Me On Twitter
    I use it but I don't need it open, i get a text from GV telling me that I have a vm, then I open it and listen to the message and close it.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwade View Post
    I'm not blaming the app just asking other opinions. I simply stated that it's the only thing i've changed on my phone since having the batter problem. I know it's not 1.4 because i updated at least a week before installing Youview and actually noticed better battery life.
    I think the other poster was implying your thread title is quite misleading. Your original post is a good one, asking for other opinions. Your thread title is a statement, supported with multiple exclamation points.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-app-reviews/

Maybe try contacting the maker if others share your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think the other poster was implying your thread title is quite misleading. Your original post is a good one, asking for other opinions. Your thread title is a statement, supported with multiple exclamation points.
    ^^Bingo^^

I have the app, and didnt see a difference....the batt just plain out SUCK for us and I kinda wish folks would stop rehashing the same ole same ole, post after post, thread after thread while knowing the real culprit lies at the foot of Palm.
    Ok so after an hour test with the settings with auto download off and on the results are in with 3.73 with auto update and 3.53 with the setting turned off. I'm going to run another test thats not in my basement because my ev jumps in and out. I'm going to run that same test in the better coverage area in my house and see what happens. Before youview I was getting 1.53 an hour in my better coverage area I'll let everyone know in an hour what happens.

Follow Me On Twitter
    Update I was getting 3.00 an hour with the better coverage. Thats almost double the battery drain I'm getting without youview app. The apps settings were with auto download off. I'm going to do one more test with wifi off and see whats happens.

Follow Me On Twitter
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Joescan09 I really appreciate the work you've put into this. Those numbers are about what I expected. I'm getting about 50% of the battery life I was getting prior to Youview. I love the app but can't afford a 50% drop in battery life.

Sorry to everyone if I mislead you with my title it wasn't my attention. I really just wanted to get to the bottom of this. I'm not one that bashes the battery life of the Pre. It is what it is and I bought the phone fully expecting to barely make it through a day on the battery.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Because that might be productive, and we don't want that.
    Well I will through my .02 cents in . Battery life seems to be a mystery from phone to phone. Now with that said let me shed some light on how YouView works and what Palm states (just because they state it doesn't mean its so though).

YouView by default is set to wake up every 5 minutes and polls the YouMail server to see if there are any new messages. If there are new messages it will go ahead and grab them. If you have the Auto Download feature on it will also download them to your phone. The whole process with auto download turn off takes less than a few seconds. Palm states that that background apps doing this type of activity should have negligible impact to battery life. One thing you can do if you feel it is YouView draining your battery, is to turn the background processing off in the Preferences (it is the Notifications toggle) and use YouMails text or email option to alert you of new messages. You could then get an idea if it really is the app that is draining your battery.

I would be open to getting a small group to do a scientific study, if enough people are interested and willing to help I will write up a small test procedure for us all to work against so we are all doing the same tests and then compare the results. My guess is that they would still be all over the place. It would have to be something like a freshly doctored phone with no other non-stock apps and only YouView.

Let me know and we can arrange something.

PS I wouldn't be hurt if you changed the title of the post
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Just to throw in my experience...

I began using YouView right before it came out of beta. At the time, I didn't notice a battery drain problem. I then purchased the paid version in the Catalog and, again, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I have Notifications on, by the way.

After the 1.4 update, I noticed significant drain. In another thread, someone suggested letting the battery go through a couple of drain/recharge cycles and I did notice improved battery life because of that...for a short time. Right now, I'm seeing around 10% drain per hour even when I don't touch the Pre. (Push is on for Gmail, other emails check every 30 minutes, IM is turned off.) I've had my Pre for 8 months but never experienced this kind of battery drain.

I say all this to suggest that there may be something besides YouMail at fault.
    So I did another test with just EV and I'm still getting between 3 - 4 percent an hour. I just deleted youview and now going to run the same test again. I was getting seriously 1-1.50 and hour right after 1.4 update and haven't done much with apps since then. Give me an hour and I'll report back.

Follow Me On Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast