Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Well I will through my .02 cents in . Battery life seems to be a mystery from phone to phone. Now with that said let me shed some light on how YouView works and what Palm states (just because they state it doesn't mean its so though).

YouView by default is set to wake up every 5 minutes and polls the YouMail server to see if there are any new messages. If there are new messages it will go ahead and grab them. If you have the Auto Download feature on it will also download them to your phone. The whole process with auto download turn off takes less than a few seconds. Palm states that that background apps doing this type of activity should have negligible impact to battery life. One thing you can do if you feel it is YouView draining your battery, is to turn the background processing off in the Preferences (it is the Notifications toggle) and use YouMails text or email option to alert you of new messages. You could then get an idea if it really is the app that is draining your battery.

I would be open to getting a small group to do a scientific study, if enough people are interested and willing to help I will write up a small test procedure for us all to work against so we are all doing the same tests and then compare the results. My guess is that they would still be all over the place. It would have to be something like a freshly doctored phone with no other non-stock apps and only YouView.

Let me know and we can arrange something.

PS I wouldn't be hurt if you changed the title of the post
    Thanks for your input and I would love to be part of a small study. Once again thanks for your work Joescan09 I think we are onto something with battery life. BTW if you can tell me how to change the title of the post I will but I can't find any edit tools for a thread title. Thanks
    Ok so the info has came in and it's what a lot of people expected. I'm getting my 1.53 an hour at idle without youview installed. compared to the 3.60ish I was getting with it installed. Take this information how ever you want but I'm certain youview is draining a little extra juice from the battery.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  3.    #23  
    A little extra juice according to your small independent study that's more then twice as much juice which is about what I figured. My battery has been draining about twice as fast since installing Youview. I'm going to send in a complaint to the company that made the program and ask if there's anything they can do on their end to help us out. Also I would still like to do a little bigger study if anyone else is interested. Thanks
    Yeah I said little juice because it's not effecting me as much seeing how I can still make it through a normal day. I know the dev said it wakes up every 5 mins to poll for updates I wonder if he can make an option that lets us change that to something longer. I know for me I never get voice mail maybe 1 or 2 a week. If I could get a setting that lets me hit the sever every couple of hours I would be good.

Follow Me On Twitter
    I've been testing, too.

Elsewhere, someone posted that their battery life improved when they stopped Backup, deleted the profile, then restarted Backup. I did that, along with shutting down and pulling the battery. After the restart, I turned off Notifications in YouView and left Text Alerts on. Then I started up Battery Monitor.

After 90 minutes, I'm seeing an average battery drain of 8-9% per hour. Granted, I have weak signal in my office building, but this rapid drain is new since the 1.4 update.

I think I'll delete YouView and see if the drain changes. Just to make sure, I'll be able to re-install YouView free of charge, but I'll lose the contacts I've created, right?
    Yes you will loose the contacts until you re sync from the server. All your contacts should now be on youview website and once you re sync they will come back but without the pics.

Follow Me On Twitter
  7.    #27  
    I'm going to run the battery monitor for a few hours with and without Youview installed and see what results I get.
    One hour after deleting YouView and my battery drain rate is down to just under 6%/hour. Better than the 8-9% I experienced this morning but still worse than it should be.
    My battery life has been worse since I installed youview. Im going to turn off notifications and auto downloading. I work downtown and always have perfect signal here.
    Right now you just have the options of polling versus off, having a longer poll time doesn't do much good as you might as well use the text or email notifications as many people just turn off the text and email and use the app notification system. This weekend I'll run some testing, but not much from a dev point of view that we can do. We wake up go any new messages if the count is greater than 0 then we do more otherwise we go back to sleep. I'll write up a test plan and maybe over the weekend we can organize a small test.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Arcticus I understand what you are saying and appreciate you looking into this.

Follow Me On Twitter
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    Right now you just have the options of polling versus off, having a longer poll time doesn't do much good as you might as well use the text or email notifications as many people just turn off the text and email and use the app notification system. This weekend I'll run some testing, but not much from a dev point of view that we can do. We wake up go any new messages if the count is greater than 0 then we do more otherwise we go back to sleep. I'll write up a test plan and maybe over the weekend we can organize a small test.
    Arcticus I hear what you are saying and appreciate your feedback. Please don't get me wrong I love the app and really want it to work without draining my battery (if that's indeed what's happening). I would also love to be part of your small test group.

I've been running a little test of my own just to get some numbers for myself. I ran Battery Monitor with Youview and notifications all on for 2 hours. I tried to control as many factors as I could including:

1. Leaving the phone in the same room with full coverage.
    2. I did not use the phone in anyway not even for a phone call. Luckily I didn't receive any phone calls.
    3. All apps are closed.
    4. Started with a completely charged battery.
    5. Turned email notifications off.
    6. Turned txt messaging off.
    7. Turned instant messaging off.

In this scenario I received a 3.16 per hr. drain on my batter. I'm now in the process of testing this with Youview removed. I removed Youview, reset the phone, and charged it back to 100%. I'm now in the middle of the 2 hour test and will post the results in 1 hour.
  13.    #33  
    After running this second test I found that with Youview installed I had 3.16% drain on my battery and without Youview I had 2.89%. Not as much as I thought it was nor is it as much as Joescan09 tested. So I guess the jury is still out.
    I just did another test also without youview installed it was a three hour test at idle I pulled 0.93 per hour. I'm going to reinstall youview and do the same three hour test.

Follow Me On Twitter
    Updating my testing...

I did more testing at home where I have a more consistent signal. Battery drain was around 2.8% per hour. I re-installed YouView, left notifications on, and had drain of around 5% per hour.

It's clear from my typical drain that something else is not right with my Pre, but the drain after re-installing is noticeable. I like the program so I'll keep it...I keep a charger handy all day anyway.
    bump for updates.... I haven't installed youview and just been using the e-mail feature from the website.

Follow Me On Twitter
    Just wanted to add to this thread. I too had good battery life prior to installing youmail. After youmail was installed battery life took a big hit!!!. I read this thread and disabled the notifications and now only receive the text telling me of new voicemails. Since doing this, battery life is back to normal. At least I didn't have to uninstall youmail altogether so this is a good workaround. Peace!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12