1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

Just wondering for those who had sprint for your pre and switched to the verizon pre, what are your thoughts about the switch? was it worth the extra ram and memory. Is Verizon's customer service better. Do you feel the rates are fair or too expensive and how is your reception on your device? What does verizon cover in their insurance plans?

I am thinking of making the switch because where I live, the service sucks and I keep getting dropped calls. Never used to happen with my other sprint phones as much. Also with the online price at $40 on amazon it sounds like a good deal. Lastly, how much was the termination fee? Thanks!!
    I made the move to verizon and so far im happy with my new device. I wish the rates were better but it is what it is to get unlimited web, voice, data, etc. As far as dropped calls look into wheather or not your inside the sprint coverage area. I for one was outside the coverage area by 1 mile and was able to cancel with no cacelation fees. I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricoberto View Post
    I made the move to verizon and so far im happy with my new device. I wish the rates were better but it is what it is to get unlimited web, voice, data, etc. As far as dropped calls look into wheather or not your inside the sprint coverage area. I for one was outside the coverage area by 1 mile and was able to cancel with no cacelation fees. I hope this helps.
    I guess that has kept me from switching back to Verizon.. the rates.
    The big thing is the Sprint wireless to wireless calls are all free with the lowest phone/data plan, which I have. And for me the service is just as good as Verizon's in the Washington DC area. The Airave also was a big bonus too, to be able to have it in my house where I didn't have good coverage by either Sprint or Verizon because I was in a low spot, so calls don't get dropped anymore and I don't get charged a nickel for the calls to or from anyone, when in Airave coverage.
    Honestly, service with Sprint has been good for me in the past 8 years that I've been a customer. I've never had an issue with them. Not to mention the low priced family plans with unlimited data. For those of you who are getting 1 - 2 dropped calls a day: is it really THAT annoying that you are willing to pay almost $30.00 extra a month for similar services with Verizon? I'm sorry, but I have better things to spend my money on.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Who drops 1-2 calls a day??? I might get one dropped like once a month or something, and thats a maaaaybe.
    iDont see the point in switching especially since Sprint is cheaper
    My husband has Verizon and I have Sprint. We both have the Pres.

He pays about $20 more than I do and I get more service than he does. I get GPS and he would have to pay extra for that. Verizon doesn't have their TV on the Pres (nor Droids for that matter) and I get that on Sprint. There was one other thing he doesn't get that I get with Sprint.

I also in the 8 years or so I've been with Nextel/Sprint have never had bad customer service. DH has been with Verizon for about 5 years and says the customer service is horrid.
    Switching plans depends on how much you travel. I have had VZN for a long time and I can honestly say my coverage has been excellent almost everywhere. I was once in the middle of farm county in upstate NY and I had many bars. My wife's T-mobile was dead and a real estate broker we met had a dead AT&T. I met a builder on the site the next day who had Sprint and he was dead also. The broker was shocked VZN had coverage.

You can not argue VZN has broader coverage. Sure it is not worth paying for it if you do not need it, but if you travel those couple of hundred dollars a year are well worth it.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Sprint users can roam on Verizon free so coverage is no issue.
    Yep. I love the roam only patch.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm liking Vz and my Pre+ though i do miss unltd cell to cell. i don't miss free roaming as if you don't have a Vz signal no other carrier will have one either.
    Last edited by KJ78; 03/09/2010 at 05:59 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks Guys!! I appreciate your input and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

As far as dropped calls look into wheather or not your inside the sprint coverage area.
    Yeah, I checked my coverage map and I'm in the green (which is great service area) and I still have plenty of dropped calls. I will be moving soon to an another apartment so I will see if my reception is better. The rates are pretty steep on verizon.

The big thing is the Sprint wireless to wireless calls are all free with the lowest phone/data plan, which I have. And for me the service is just as good as Verizon's in the Washington DC area. The Airave also was a big bonus too, to be able to have it in my house where I didn't have good coverage by either Sprint or Verizon because I was in a low spot, so calls don't get dropped anymore and I don't get charged a nickel for the calls to or from anyone, when in Airave coverage.
    I do agree! Sprint is great for free mobile calls to any provider. I have the simply everything plan. The reason why I upgraded to this plan is because I tend to call a lot of lan lines because I call a lot of businesses and where I live, Santa Cruz, CA, I do not get service so my phone roams to a Verizon tower and that would take up mins if I were to have any other plans that has mins. I tend to make a lot of phone calls. hah!!

For those of you who are getting 1 - 2 dropped calls a day: is it really THAT annoying that you are willing to pay almost $30.00 extra a month for similar services with Verizon?
    1-2 dropped calls is not that bad, but I get over 10! No B.S. That's why I am frustrated. I tend to lose a lot of deals with my film gigs with those dropped calls too. So sometimes I think I can lose $30 a month than let's say at least $1000 a shoot.

Who drops 1-2 calls a day???
    Hah I do!!!!!!!!!

I get GPS and he would have to pay extra for that. Verizon doesn't have their TV on the Pres (nor Droids for that matter) and I get that on Sprint. There was one other thing he doesn't get that I get with Sprint.
    Oh wow I had no idea you had to pay extra for those features. +1 to sprint for that. I would hate to pay extra for gps. Thanks for that info!!

Switching plans for a phone is really dumb especially when one cost a lot more than the other.
    I would argue with that because if you wanted quality and better service you would pay the extra amount for it. I'm not saying that I will make the switch, I just like to hear people's thoughts on theirs or their thoughts on this topic.

I was once in the middle of farm county in upstate NY and I had many bars.
    That's great! Yea I do film shoots in the middle of nowhere and it's disappointing at times because I cannot use my phone because there is no service, especially if you need to contact your crew or actors.

Sprint users can roam on Verizon free so coverage is no issue.
    I was told by sprint that if we roam that uses up our mins.

Sorry for the long entry, I was out and about the whole day. Thanks for sharing again and if there is more to add I'd love to hear it!!!
    Never had a problem with sprint coverage in santa cruz. might be a hardware problem.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I've been with Sprint for 12 years now and have been happiest with them by far (granted I had a lemon in my brief Nextel ic902 experiment) than AT&T which I had first when well . . it was all analog still, then I went to Verizon and was happy with them in the NY area for some time until they started hammering me with bs overcharges, hidden fees from outta nowhere and my bills went from an average of like $50 a month to $200 a month for no reason. Even Verizon admitted something was wrong but still demanded I pay, so I demanded they put their phone in their ****.
    Then there was T-Mobile who lied out their **** to me saying they had service and showed me a map, however it was all lies heh. They still han't fully leeched off the AT&T towers yet so I returned it. I actually felt defeated and gave my last hope to Sprint and bam! Coverage was great in NYC northern burbs where I was, and since moving to Vegas years ago it's been fantastic with the exception of a few homeowner association co--blocking of towers which affected all the carriers until these days it's just fine. I still even kept my old 914 area code and bought another line being my Pre with what has to be the best friggin number I ever had that even a stoner like myself can never forget it.

Anyhow my point is, I have Verizon as they are thievin basta*** and Sprint has been great to me at every turn, even with the worst phone ever made in that Motorola ic 902. My only dead spot in the home is my bathroom which is fine with me because that's my private throne and hold no audience there :P
    In the end, I think you get what you pay for. My observations, having all 3 carriers in the past 3-4 years.

T-Mobile (cheapest) - Really bad data coverage and many dropped calls, even in the NYC-metro area. I have a T-Mobile account for my business.

Sprint - Great voice and data coverage, but many issues with SMS and MMS. I would sometimes have delays of up to 45mins on SMS messages, which was a deal-breaker for me. I'd also have several instances when callers tell me that calls go straight to voicemail, even when I had full coverage, and while using different phones. Their customer service was also super super horrendous. I hear they are getting better, but the stuff I went through with them is unexusable. Their online chat is a real asset though...you can actually get things done and change through chat...not just sales.

AT&T - Unusable in the NYC area. Constant dropped calls, shoddy data service. Outside of NYC service was stellar...too bad I live and work in the NYC area.

Verizon (most expensive) - I have them now for my personal line. 1) Customer service is great...on the phone and in-person. I've had reps discuss the weather and sports with me when I was on hold...cheesey, I know, but I appreciate it. 2) They have corporate stores everywhere in the Northeast...very easy to just bring your phone in for a warranty exchange, buy accessories, or get help. 3) I've had Verizon for a year now and can honestly, 100% tell you that I've NEVER had a dropped call. I know some of you probably won't beleive me, but I've never had any issue with either Voice, Data, or SMS/MMS.

I know Verizon's the most expensive, but I'll gladly pay the extra money when that hot date is texting me back confirming our plans, or when the call for a job interview goes through without any problems. It's mostly piece of mind for me, based on my experience with other providers.

I'm sure that everyone's experience is different based on their location, coverage, phone, and usage, but for me it's Verizon or nothing.