1.    #1  
    Okay, so, now Palm's given us something new to speculate about. Just how long will we wait for the udpate that will allow PDK apps to be distributed?

From the PDK FAQs:

Q: Is the webOS PDK available now?

As Palm announced at GDC, developers can download a public beta of the PDK at the Palm Developer Center and begin developing today. Distribution of apps built with the public beta will require functionality provided in an upcoming Palm webOS update, to be released within the first half of this year.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2.    #2  
    Okay, I don't usually reply to my own posts, and I'm really not just trying to bump this. I'm just curious: doesn't anyone else find it a bit of a bummer that all those beta PDK apps can't be distributed until this upcoming webOS update is released?

I kind of expected all the doom-and-gloomers to be all over this one. I'm a little doomish-and-gloomish about it myself. I anticipate much wailing and gnashing of teeth when folks understand that they can't get all those shiny new apps until sometime "within the first half of this year."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, I don't usually reply to my own posts, and I'm really not just trying to bump this. I'm just curious: doesn't anyone else find it a bit of a bummer that all those beta PDK apps can't be distributed until this upcoming webOS update is released?

I kind of expected all the doom-and-gloomers to be all over this one. I'm a little doomish-and-gloomish about it myself. I anticipate much wailing and gnashing of teeth when folks understand that they can't get all those shiny new apps until sometime "within the first half of this year."
    People don't know what those shiny new apps are so I suppose most will just go about doing what they do until the apps are released.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I am hoping for a fast update. There are some pretty major bugs in 1.4 that need fixed and hopefully whatever they have for the PDK is already fleshed out and pretty much ready to go for the fix update.
    i hope we can get some apps that can only b make on webos, than i can go suck it iphone.
    as long as people start posting 'em en mass to the homebrew catalog i'll be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by clonzelda View Post
    i hope we can get some apps that can only b make on webos, than i can go suck it iphone.
    +1 I'm tired of seeing ported games and want some games and apps made for WebOS not some hand-me-downs..
    --Marvin
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    as long as people start posting 'em en mass to the homebrew catalog i'll be happy.
    It sounds like there need to be some custom code written by Palm to allow the current PDK-games to run at all on webOS. So, I'm taking this to mean there's simply no way a beta PDK game written and not customized by Palm to run--whether through the App Catalog or homebrew. The components just won't be there.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    +1 I'm tired of seeing ported games and want some games and apps made for WebOS not some hand-me-downs..
    Well, this is a brilliant strategy for Palm because it makes writing apps for webOS cost effective given the lackluster sales of webOS devices. Without the PDK, we won't see the kinds of apps that we've seen (with Gameloft being the best example) simply because developers won't see a return on investment.

So, until there's a critical mass of webOS devices out there, we simply won't see as many webOS exclusives. We should be happy for the PDK and the ports we'll (eventually) be getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Good luck with that wish. I'd love it too but the PDK is squarely aimed at porting apps. I doubt any big name developers are going to be making exclusives for webOS, it's more economical to make one game for the iphone (biggest market share and what not) and then to port it over to us. Just my opinion of course, and I really do hope I'm wrong.
    The main issue is releasing PDK apps from non-substantial partners(IE not so trusted sources). The software that currently runs on the PDK framework runs as root. In layman's terms this means the app has administrator access over your device. Which can do some SERIOUS damage. This has been a topic for discussion with some people at WebOS-Internals. Until this is fixed by Palm it's completely understandable if they restrict the releases of PDK based applications.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    The main issue is releasing PDK apps from non-substantial partners(IE not so trusted sources). The software that currently runs on the PDK framework runs as root. In layman's terms this means the app has administrator access over your device. Which can do some SERIOUS damage. This has been a topic for discussion with some people at WebOS-Internals. Until this is fixed by Palm it's completely understandable if they restrict the releases of PDK based applications.
    So, how hard or how easy is it for Palm to work whatever voodoo they're working on preview PDK apps? Could they selectively release new apps as they move forward, or is there something specific to the beta PDK that makes this impossible?
    So, how hard or how easy is it for Palm to work whatever voodoo they're working on preview PDK apps? Could they selectively release new apps as they move forward, or is there something specific to the beta PDK that makes this impossible?
    Essentially if the developer is a big name like EA or Gameloft and has been in close contact with Palm, the PDK apps will most likely have a decent chance of getting to the app catalog. Otherwise you'll have to wait for Palm to push an update where the PDK-based software isn't running as root, to protect the device itself from malicious code that could be run without the control of the user.
  14.    #14  
    Essentially if the developer is a big name like EA or Gameloft and has been in close contact with Palm, the PDK apps will most likely have a decent chance of getting to the app catalog. Otherwise you'll have to wait for Palm to push an update where the PDK-based software isn't running as root, to protect the device itself from malicious code that could be run without the control of the user.
    Hence, we're back to where we started: it'll be awhile before all of these new PDK apps start hitting the App Catalog. I wonder how log it will be before people start complaining about it, and speculating as to when the required update will be released...
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I don't remember, is it possible to run apps such as doom as an unprivileged user that would have been created in optware setup? If that is the case it may not be that difficult. They would need to add an account to the OS that has minimal privileges and have the app be run by that account. If they are being really slick it can run like a webserver, launch as root and then give up privileges and run as nobody. It would need various hooks, including code to prevent being run as root (if launching it basically does su -c ...). So, really, this may not be that difficult and they may have just wanted to release the beta before adding the functionality, which could conceivably be 90% complete.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Hence, we're back to where we started: it'll be awhile before all of these new PDK apps start hitting the App Catalog. I wonder how log it will be before people start complaining about it, and speculating as to when the required update will be released...
    Well, they did say first half of the year. And this isn't Adobe, so they probably mean it!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    forgive me for beign a newb, but isnt the pdk the way homebrew apps are made?
    Yes and no, depending how big the company is we could see some titles.(it's all a matter of liability, you know?) We do need another update before PDK software can be completely safe. If PDK developers are interested they could talk to webos-internals crew with making their beta software available to Preware users. PDK software for the most part should be installable on Pre, the framework is there and exists. It's just a bit too liberal iteration of it for the app catalog to be flooded with it.

Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I don't remember, is it possible to run apps such as doom as an unprivileged user that would have been created in optware setup? If that is the case it may not be that difficult. They would need to add an account to the OS that has minimal privileges and have the app be run by that account. If they are being really slick it can run like a webserver, launch as root and then give up privileges and run as nobody. It would need various hooks, including code to prevent being run as root (if launching it basically does su -c ...). So, really, this may not be that difficult and they may have just wanted to release the beta before adding the functionality, which could conceivably be 90% complete.
    Via optware I can't say for sure, but anything using type:game has root access. Also from my understanding there's really no user account for other frameworks, it's all root, :P
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts

Via optware I can't say for sure, but anything using type:game has root access. Also from my understanding there's really no user account for other frameworks, it's all root, :P

That's what I said, they need to add a new account.