Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I know, countless threads. I just need to rant.
    From 8am to 9:50am battery went from 100% to 80% and I wasn't using it. I received about 6-7 emails (as they arrive) and that was it. It's been idle and sucking energy like a black hole.
    I have full bars and no wi-fi in my office. Yes, I can turn data off and save a ton of battery but if I do that, what's the point of having a smartphone?
    Turning off GPS, Data, etc everytime I'm not using it to then have to turn everything on when I'm in a hurry is not what I expect from a smart phone.

/rant>
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    From 8am to 9:50am battery went from 100% to 80% and I wasn't using it. I received about 6-7 emails (as they arrive) and that was it. It's been idle and sucking energy like a black hole.
    I have full bars and no wi-fi in my office. Yes, I can turn data off and save a ton of battery but if I do that, what's the point of having a smartphone?
    Turning off GPS, Data, etc everytime I'm not using it to then have to turn everything on when I'm in a hurry is not what I expect from a smart phone.

/rant>
    How many email accounts? Do you have any apps that just sit open updating?

Also, running at as they arrive is probably causing it.

I don't even understand that.
    Why do you need to receive an email at the second, whats the difference if you set it for 15 minutes?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    No apps running. I receive emails as they arrive. 2 accounts - Gmail & Exchange.
    Running IM apps in the background are a big battery drainers too.
    you mentioned no wifi, but did you turn WIFI off?

I find by turning wifi off, I get a lot more battery juice
    No apps running. I receive emails as they arrive. 2 accounts - Gmail & Exchange.
    That's the problem.

Two emails checking CONSTANTLY.

Why not just set them for 5 or 15 minutes? Whats the difference?
    that's certainly not theprobelm

I have 6 emails pushing as item received, and turning wifi off helps a lot.

note however 1.4 DOES drain a bit more than 1.3.5.1...but not as havy as the OP makes it sound
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    you mentioned no wifi, but did you turn WIFI off?
    yes, wi-fi is off, i mentioned it to make the point that it's not an option

That's the problem.

Two emails checking CONSTANTLY.

Why not just set them for 5 or 15 minutes? Whats the difference?
    that's debatable, i've read countless times that when you set it to "as they arrive" it's not constantly checking for email they just get pushed whenever you receive one.
    that's debatable, i've read countless times that when you set it to "as they arrive" it's not constantly checking for email they just get pushed whenever you receive one.
    Change them both to 15 minutes, come back in 2 hours and see how much battery you burnt in comparison to the last two hours.
    I have my email set to check every 30 min., wifi set to on (when I have wifi signal, wifi off when I leave my house, and my Pre uses about 1% per hour at idle.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Change them both to 15 minutes, come back in 2 hours and see how much battery you burnt in comparison to the last two hours.
    i have done this before and there was no noticeable difference. i'll give it another go as it can't hurt.
    what's your signal like? If you're in a bad area where the signal is weak, yes the battery will drain quickly because the radios will draw more power. I've had that happen to me when I forgot to shut off my phone while in a datacenter located in the basement. Battery almost died after 4 hours.... (and that was a windows mobile phone).
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    The other peice that affects my battery a TON is the strength of signal. If I am downtown, I get a full day and then some. If I am in the suburbs with low signal I get half a day.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    what's your signal like? If you're in a bad area where the signal is weak, yes the battery will drain quickly because the radios will draw more power. I've had that happen to me when I forgot to shut off my phone while in a datacenter located in the basement. Battery almost died after 4 hours.... (and that was a windows mobile phone).
    Full bars.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    /rant>

Also, a quick tip on GPS is to install the patch where it put's a toggle GPS in the menu. I keep it off, but it is really easy to turn on when located there.
    yes, wi-fi is off, i mentioned it to make the point that it's not an option

It actually does drain more battery keeping them on as they arrive. That option actually keeps an open pathway to the server that it has to resync upon time outs. That's just the way imap/exchange work. I have found that on exchange (I have two accounts installed) if I set them to check every 30 minutes I get about an extra 4-6% more battery per hour.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Also, a quick tip on GPS is to install the patch where it put's a toggle GPS in the menu. I keep it off, but it is really easy to turn on when located there.
    Yes, I have this as well. I just find it extremely annoying to have to turn everything on in a time sensitive circumstance. I've had instances where I need to look up an address on the fly, turning Data - which sometimes might take a minute depending on reception - then GPS and pulling up Google Maps has taken me 2-3 minutes, no joke.
    I keep my GPS set to "off", if an app such as Google Maps or Sprint Nav or other app that needs to use GPS, a script will appear asking you to turn on GPS.

GPS does not use very much battery, I have tested it with Battery Monitor overnight and the difference is .25% per hour.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat... I feel like I can barely use me phone anymore.. I have everythin set the exact way it was before the update and my battery has gone to hell.. I only use one email.. I can't look at 2 websites before a 10% drop.. They need to fix this asap.. I have great data coverage too.. No wifi use, email every 15... This sucks.. Still love my phone but I have to constantly charge it while browsin the web (like I am as I'm typin) or if I text for a bit cause it's drainin to quickly..
    One other trick you may try...it really helped me! Someone posted in another thread to turn off the online backup and to delete the current backup. Reboot the phone, and re-enable the online backup and do a backup to get a new online copy.

When I got 1.4, my battery was dead in 4 hours with light to no usage. But after deleting my backup and creating a new one, I am usually still at 60% after HEAVY usage 10 hours later!!! Not sure why this worked...someone suggested a corrupted backup was causing the phone to constantly try to update something that was no longer there, but whatever the reason it made such a HUGE difference that it is like a completely different phone!

Worth a try, nothing really harmed in giving this fix a shot.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast