Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's not purely psychological, and it's easily measurable.
    I've run the Battery Monitor app almost continuously from the day it
    was first released, so it's been very easy for me to quantify
    the battery behavior with each update. It improved slightly with 1.2.x
    It improved a lot with 1.3.x. It hasn't changed much, if at all with 1.4x.
    With the early WebOS releases I was happy to get 1 day of standby.
    Now I'm up to 2 1/2 days of standby, and a full day of fairly regular use.
    It used to idle at 3-5%/hr drain. Now it idles at < 1.5%/hr.

And yes, due to the way the phone protects the battery from overcharging
    the UI may indicate 100% when the actual battery level is anywhere between
    95-100%. If you run battery monitor and leave it on the charger you'll
    see the level on the graph go up and down in a regular wave pattern.
    There is a patch to display the actual % in the status area rather than the
    placebo %.

ian
    It maybe be easily measurable but that doesn't mean people making accusations are actually measuring it.

If my battery was drawing anymore than 5%/ per hour at idle I would look at what I'm doing with the phone.

Ask yourselves these questions:

Are you logged into IM?
    How many email accounts are constantly syncing?
    How often are those email accounts checking your email?
    Do I have apps open that constantly update?
    Have I installed some services from Homebrew that I didn't have previously?
    Have I dropped or damaged my battery?
    How is my reception where I'm at?
    Is there anything else syncing with the internet constantly?

If the answer to those are already favorable to battery life, then I would ruin a Webos Doctor, and go from there.
    another funny thing is people start suggesting all these settings changes. Well if they didn't have to change settings to get decent battery life in 1.3.5, then why should they have to in 1.4? If there was a sudden change in battery life after the update, the update is obviously doing something. Just like if you go to the complaints thread, not everyone has the same complaints and some don't see issues at all. Doesn't make them any less real. It should be more so treated as a glitch in 1.4 and how to solve it as opposed to providing workarounds which are fine for a quick fix, but the focus shouldn't be arguing about all the different settings, what works and what doesn't. It should be focused on why the sudden change after the update and how can it be fixed. Treat the problem, not the symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    .... for *some* people. My battery life was great in 1.3.5 and is still
    great in 1.4, and I've changed nothing between then and now.
    People keep making generalizations about 1.4 that in fact only apply
    to a minority of people.

ian
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    another funny thing is people start suggesting all these settings changes. Well if they didn't have to change settings to get decent battery life in 1.3.5, then why should they have to in 1.4? If there was a sudden change in battery life after the update, the update is obviously doing something. Just like if you go to the complaints thread, not everyone has the same complaints and some don't see issues at all. Doesn't make them any less real. It should be more so treated as a glitch in 1.4 and how to solve it as opposed to providing workarounds which are fine for a quick fix, but the focus shouldn't be arguing about all the different settings, what works and what doesn't. It should be focused on why the sudden change after the update and how can it be fixed. Treat the problem, not the symptoms.
    If settings changes aren't necessary, in your case, and the battery hasn't been damaged than I would strongly recommend a Webos Doctor.
    i'm not having problems, but the point is everyone is quick to treat symptoms and not address the problem. Just because not everyone has the symptoms doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. There are enough issues in general mentioned by multiple people that shows 1.4 created some issues whether people did a clean update w/the doctor or updated over 1.3.5. I've updated both ways and both have their own sets of problems. So just chalking it up to changing settings doesn't make a lot of sense because that would imply their problem existed prior to the update which isn't the case, which is the point of the thread. This isn't a general "battery life sucks" thread.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i'm not having problems, but the point is everyone is quick to treat symptoms and not address the problem. Just because not everyone has the symptoms doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. There are enough issues in general mentioned by multiple people that shows 1.4 created some issues whether people did a clean update w/the doctor or updated over 1.3.5. I've updated both ways and both have their own sets of problems. So just chalking it up to changing settings doesn't make a lot of sense because that would imply their problem existed prior to the update which isn't the case, which is the point of the thread. This isn't a general "battery life sucks" thread.
    I don't suggest there isn't a problem.
    http://forums.precentral.net/2295543-post114.html

I DO suggest there is a problem when people are claiming to lose significant battery at idle per hour while others don't use that much battery when they use the phone for an hour!
    You know, if Palm would just fix the frickin problem, we wouldn't have to turn stuff off, turn stuff on, add patches, stand on our heads, close one eye, tilt our heads to one side, hop on one foot, and pray in a Swahili dialect just to get the battery to last 'til lunch time.
    But ... I recently installed the 550 mhz patch, and not only is my Pre much faster, but the battery life has improved a little.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I didn't change anything after updating to 1.4 and my battery life has almost doubled. I went from being 30-50%% every night to somewhere between 60-70%.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    This isn't a general "battery life sucks" thread.
    Could have fooled me, since if you're unwilling to actually diagnose
    or change anything then it's just a gripe-fest.

There *is* real value to changing settings to see what will make the problem
    go away (we know it's possible to make the problem go away
    as many of us have no problem at all). It helps Palm and others understand
    the scope and nature of the problem itself, and ultimately create
    a fix or workaround for it. I can think of at least two recent examples,
    both related to battery drain where having a bunch of affected users mess
    with their settings helped Palm choose of how to deal with
    the problem in a subsequent release. One is the Wifi radio
    not-sleeping problem some people had in 1.3.5, the other
    is the fake "two way sync" option Palm implemented on POP accounts
    which caused lag and high battery drain on massive inboxes.
    In both cases it took users changing settings to define the problem.
    In both cases Palm eventually gave the users the option to set
    their desired behavior, because it works fine for some people the old way,
    and for some it only works the new way.

As for Dr'ed phones that still have issues. I think the Dr doesn't
    clean as much stuff up as it used to because the update files
    themselves don't overwrite everything. To really get back to a clean
    phone you have to tell it to erase everything manually, then Dr it.

ian
    Well, take this as it is, I don't stare at my phone watching the battery percentage, and the first thing I did when I got it activated was turn off wifi and location services. Used to that from the incredibly nasty battery life of my 800w. I've had three short-ish calls today, all around ten minutes, one email account going, those two services off (at my computer most of the day, no point in having wifi on, GPS is off 'cause I know where I'm going......) and after 11 hours, I'm down to 90%. All I can suggest is what I did, turn off services you don't need. There's really no need to have wifi on all the time, unless you need it for web surfing in a dead zone building, and do you really need GPS going 24/7 as well? Yes, it's a pain to poke a button if an app needs location services, but if I had to trade that inconveniencs for 25% or better battery, I'd keep the battery life, myself.

Everything needs tweaking for your needs. Unless your computer was perfect out of the box, and didn't need any software at all, beyond what Dell gave you. Good luck with that.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My battery life has utterly gone to hell since the update. I actually watched it drop straight from 92 to 88% while the phone was doing absolutely nothing. I'm about ready to throw this piece of crap at a brick wall! I can't keep a damn charger in my pocket 24/7. I've tried all the tips on I've read also.
    my runs better than ever. I am much happier with this phone after the update.
    i have noticed terrible battery life since 1.4.. no idea why though but makes me want to invest in a better battery
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    wifi = no battery life. If battery life is a concern turn wifi off.
    i tried this after you posted and in a day my battery life is vastly better so far. Now will it hold up but it's seems clear that turning on wife isn't helping even if you're right next to your router like i am.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    wifi = no battery life. If battery life is a concern turn wifi off.
    I run my Wifi every time I'm in my house and have NO issue with battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I run my Wifi every time I'm in my house and have NO issue with battery life.
    my battery has always sucked. i did the same as you and ran wifi all day at my house though. All i know is I cut it off wifi and all of a sudden my battery life sky rocketed. It's at 51% right now. hasn't been on the charger since around 8:30 PM last night. it's 6:20 PM the next day now. I don't know why. i don't expect it to last. But i'm not here to rip a phone for no reason. I sucked when i first posted. I took a shot. It's better for some reason so we'll see where it goes.

i never really paid attention to drain with wifi on or off cause some thread said it was better to have it on but it's working. so far.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 03/10/2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Battery life, not so great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by neo1980 View Post
    Battery life, not so great!!
    1-2 weeks into webOS 1.4 and I'm noticing battery life is improved back to 1.3.5 webos levels. I'm not sure what else I've done apart from usual. Brightness is always low, chat is off and GPS is on-demand. Perhaps the battery wasn't charging properly (hadn't equilibrated as many people have hypothesized?).

IT's at least as good as it was with 1.3.5 for me.
    I was having high current drain issues. I contacted Palm Support via the free chat line. They had me Doctor my phone to 1.4. I was assured that some (but not all) users have high current drain issues and that doctoring the phone fixes it. After doctoring and updating my PRL my Pre is drawing 4%/hour with typical usage. I'm currently at 53% after running off the charger for 12 hours. Before doctoring, I would have to recharge after about 6 hours.

I have a bunch of Patches, Wifi is always on, BT is off, GPS is on, Data is on, voice network is Sprint Only, PRL is 60662, 3 email accounts are set to check every 30 minutes, and battery monitor is continuously running at a 5 minute update rate.

I hope that this good performance continues - I think that I am back to or slightly better than 1.3.5. I will stop obsessing about this now.

Paul
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Well..Sorry to be another one of " them " but here is my results on 1.4.
    Well....since the new update....my battery life is HORRENDOUS!!! It used to be just fine....would be low at the end of the night...totally acceptable. Ever since the new update, my pre wont make it to 3pm!!! EVERY DAY! I sit in the same office, same building, same job, nothing has changed at all. I even turned off wifi that used to be on all the time. Still no change.

This is completely unacceptable that I have to go to my truck every day at 3pm to have my phone charge for an hour so it will work the rest of the day! I might use the phone for 2 phone calls and 5-6 text messages, NO INTERNET, no nothing else!!

And before anyone asks...no it has not been wet or dropped or anything...it was literally the update that ruined it. I have had nothing but trouble since the update, phone locking up, freezing at times, slower opening speed on cards, just overall makes the phone feel cheap and shytty now!!

Any suggestions?

I also do not feel that I should have to change/turn off things edit this or fix that......my phone is un"doctored" whatever the hell that is and I just want my old performance levels back I had 2 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Why do you need to receive an email at the second, whats the difference if you set it for 15 minutes?
    No offense, but you and many others on this forum really crack me up sometimes.

Push e-mail is an essential smartphone feature pretty much made mandatory by the success of RIM's Blackberry.

In my line of work, 15 minutes can make all the difference between SUCCESS and FAILURE.

I simply can't wait for e-mails. I need them to push to the device as they arrive. Instant communication is essential to my business and its success.

With that said, I have gmail and Exchange set to "as they arrive" and have not experienced the same drain in battery as the OP.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast