Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Not sure if anyone read my post last week. If not, here's a brief rundown.

Ive had my Pre since release day (Sprint). Back in October I couldnt take the horrible battery life and lag of the phone so I purchased a BB Tour Sprint.
    By the way, I had a 8330 Curve before the Pre and loved it! Anyway,
    I find myself missing the Pre (especially with Flash around the corner). I'd like to reactivate my Pre but a HUGE HUGE concern is the battery life. I was told it is much improved with 1.4 release.

I decided to do a test. I downloaded 1.4 via wifi (by the way, with wifi turned on my Pre can do everything (including downloading apps in the app catalog) except make phone calls.. Email works as well but not SMS. Anyway, I charged my Pre last night and took it off at 4:45am. Battery was at 100% and wifi OFF. And remember the phone is NOT activated (cant make/receive calls) When I came home at 6:30pm I had 92% battery left? I know this is crazy and shouldnt be like this. But WHY?? Does having an activated phone drain that much battery? Because Im pretty sure it shouldnt. Im on the verge of going to sprint.com to activate it Anyone have any ideas as to why I had such awesome battery life?

Thanks in advance.

R-
    Battery life is MUCH MUCH better with 1.4. That being said, I wouldn't expect it to make it that long using only 8% of the battery. Was airplane mode on by any chance?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    so it sat there without being used for 13 hours, and it went down 8%? My pre does that just sitting there not being used also. I can charge to 100% leave it alone come back several hours later and it still reads 100%. Not to sound mean, but I really don't think there's anything special about that...
    Yes, obtaining and maintaining a signal from the cell towers eats battery. Once you activate your Pre again, it will resume your old battery-draining tactics.
    battery life is better in 1.4
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Airplane Mode off. So maybe it's not special. But why does the Pre suck down battery life with normal usage? I mean, I'm reading posts of 10 hours/day before the phone dies. Which is what my pre gave me before I got the Tour.

R-
    I tend to be a heavy user and charge mine at any moment I can or swap out the battery but today after reading your post I notice something different. I am on vacation so I am not "Power" using the phone.
    I made 5 calls lasting about 35 mins total.
    Checked the App Cat (10 mins), Weather Bug twice ( in two cities), Made 4 text and checked email once.
    Phone is ALWAYS on WifI
    Pulled off TS about 10 hours ago and I have 71% left.

This has got to be better now with 1.4.
    Does that help you - OP?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I tend to be a heavy user and charge mine at any moment I can or swap out the battery but today after reading your post I notice something different. I am on vacation so I am not "Power" using the phone.
    I made 5 calls lasting about 35 mins total.
    Checked the App Cat (10 mins), Weather Bug twice ( in two cities), Made 4 text and checked email once.
    Phone is ALWAYS on WifI
    Pulled off TS about 10 hours ago and I have 71% left.

This has got to be better now with 1.4.
    Does that help you - OP?
    Sounds good. Im taking the plunge and activating my Pre again.

R-
    I took mine off the TS yesterday around 10:30 pm and left if overnight, did some emails, Preware, rebooted, Luna restarts and some messaging... Nothing heavy, but connected on EVDO the whole time. I still have 50% or so left now.
    mine varies but most often my battery life is garbage. i normally have to charge by 7PM. The other day it lasted a very long time without draining much. like 6 hours and it only dropped 15% on now use. The very next day though it died in 6 hours. a few days ago i took the charger at 1AM to check my facebook. Then went to bed with it at 100% on my nightstand. The phone was dead at 7:30 AM. So go figure. it's utterly frustrating but my battery life isn't any better. I just have to constantly plug it in and not forget.
    if your wifi was off and phone not activated, then it was basically like being on airplane mode. It couldn't do any data for email or anything. That is why your battery was so good. For me, after 1.4 I get around 1% or slightly less per hour, using wifi, just letting the phone sit there. No wifi is about the same, maybe a little worse if I'm getting a lot of email....
    For those who have battery life issues, run a search in these threads because I remember coming across dozens of posts in the past, of users describing how people saved tons of battery life by doing such things as:

- Turning down the brightness all the way
    - Don't set your emails to check as often. In fact, setting them to Manual gives the best life - only check when you need to.
    - If you're in an area where there is poor wifi signal, turn off wifi
    - There were previous issues with battery drain and yahoo mail (cannot recall what the resolution was)
    - There were issues with Instant Messaging draining as well - don't IM, use Texting instead, or alter one of the settings (again I can't recall)

There are a slew of helps for extending your battery life. Of course, if you need just a little more battery power, Seidio makes a 1350mAh (?) battery that fits in your pre slot without changing the back and offers about 10% more battery life. Not much, but if you're looking for more and are willing to sacrifice space, you can also get the over-sized batteries or even buy a second battery to carry with you.

I will add that I haven't noticed much difference battery life from the Pre as I have seen in my last Windows Mobile 6.1 device. I have similar battery life on my Pre and from the many people I speak with who use the iPhone 3GS, they all tell me the same thing - they can't get through a day without charging somewhere in the middle. I think many people who are used to non-smart phones are probably hurt the most as they're expecting days without charging. Smart phones just aren't going to offer that today. Sure, there are some other smart phones that have longer battery life but either the battery is larger or they're not online as much because we all know it also varies how much you're online. Only until the manufacturing process gets smaller and companies can squeeze in more cells, will we really see a significant increase in battery life.

My last comment regarding battery life, I think, is probably the most important. I know some people think that just because the battery says 100%, it must be fully charged. Actually, it's really not. The batteries (all cell phone batteries) need a good topping off - and I don't mean topping off like a gas station. What I mean is that you need to really charge your battery for a good 24 hours to really get the maximum life out of your battery. Again, I'm not suggesting everyone keep the phone on the charger for 24 hours between each use, but I will tell you that at least the first time you charge your battery, you really should let it sit on the charger for a good 24 hours. Every once in a while it's good to leave it on there as long as you can also. (remember the days of trickle charging?)

If you were to compare two identical phones - the first being charged and removed from the charger as soon as it hits 100% and the second sits on the charger an additional 12 hours after it hits 100%, I can guarantee you that the second phone's battery will outlast the first. I've been using smart phones/devices for quite a number of years and nothing beats a solid charge on the charger. Every once in a while, even if your phone's getting a good 8-12 hours charging each night, leave it on there for a solid 24. After a while, you'll notice the battery will retain it's charge a little more. I've noticed it with the pre as well....
    Why not purchase the seidio 2600Mah battery? I use it and I can use the phone all day (email, IM, txts, calls) and I still have on average 60% by the time I get home (9-10 hours later)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastLife2010 View Post
    Sounds good. Im taking the plunge and activating my Pre again.

R-
    I might add:
    My email is set to MANUAL check.
    May Brightness is at about 38 during the day when outside and 0-5 when inside or at night. I do have the brightness patches.
    I have not but you could always get the 1350mah battery and get 15-20% more life.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Did a Battery Monitor test the other night and with wifi on, email set to check every 30 min and GPS off my Pre is using .9% per hour.
    My battery life is much better. It lasts just about 12-14 hours with moderate use. My phone was just about left alone over the weekend (about 20 hours) and my battery was still at about 60%(without using it).

I will say its a little laggy after adding preware, but its still worth it. Its almost like I have a new phone.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I've had mine off the charger for 14 hours now, a couple of short calls (not a busy day, unfortunately), the usual, location services off, wifi off, just checked. 92%. Honestly, my battery life was fine before 1.4, but I did just get my Pre six weeks ago or so, dunno if that makes a difference. And I am coming off an 800w, which quite probably holds the record for the worst battery life ever in a smartphone (Centro battery FTW), so even 14 hours at 50% would be beyond awesome for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Battery life is MUCH MUCH better with 1.4. That being said, I wouldn't expect it to make it that long using only 8% of the battery. Was airplane mode on by any chance?
    He said that WiFi was off, and if it isn't activated the phone radio would also be off. I'm sure the display was off for all of that time. So, the device was basically asleep, and in the equivalent of airplane mode.

What he had was a Palm Pilot. That would give amazing battery life with no radios running.

I'm sure that explains it.
    Hey I misread.

That's not normal imo. 8% is a lot. Mine is about 2-3% at most if i am in airplane mode. Is it possible you had something running? Like maybe an app or two that kept waking the phone up?
    Do you have IM services off now, but had them on before??? Once I turned mine off I saw a CONSIDERABLE increase in battery life.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast