Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Hello-

    Is there anything I should know before traveling with my phone abroad? If I set the phone to only allow Sprint's network and turn off roaming, would I be safe to assume that I will not get charged? I was hoping to be able to use the WiFi when I am wandering around from cafe to cafe.

    Has anyone traveled with the device to Europe? thoughts?

    I appreciate it.

    Jim
  2. #2  
    you would be better off to put it in airplane mode with wifi on
    Last edited by 063_xobx; 03/08/2010 at 05:56 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I was under the impression once Airplane mode is on, all antennas are off? Or is this a homebrew patch?
  4. #4  
    i think that it leaves the wifi antenna on but if not im sure its a doable patch
  5. #5  
    airplane mode will turn off all radios. Then you can turn WiFi back on. No patches necessary.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  6. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #6  
    Once you put it in airplane mode, you can then turn on wi-fi while leaving the phone radio off. I'm also traveling to France for the latter part of this year. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for a phone, but I'm tempted to try to buy a GSM Pre from SFR to use while there, and then e-bay it when I come back to my Sprint Pre. Have a good trip!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  7. santos's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #7  
    I used my Sprint Pre in Germany and Austria last year with great success. I turned airplane mode on then just toggled wifi on or off to check email and browse the web. It worked great.
  8. #8  
    i used my sprint palm pre in mexico...i need data so i paid the 40 dollar a month data unlimited world data plan and had unlimited data...i was a mobile hot spot pretty much...i was there for 2 weeks so it was all worth it...but if u can live without data then just turn on airplane mode on but if u need wifi u can just turn it on and it wont turn on the other radios
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. #9  
    best thing to do is pick up a used clamshell motorola gsm quad band phone and just buy a sim card there for about $20 and you can buy charge cards just about everywhere.. I bought a used moto clamshell and a new battery for $50 on ebay and take it greece when i go in the summers.

    all incoming calls are free.. so if you have vonage at home. they can call you whenever you want. Also if you have internet where you are at...maybee a "magic jack" hooked up to your laptop that has internet. This way it's a local call for whoever is calling you.. i borrowed a friends magic jack when i went to the bahamas and it actually worked great! called everyone i knew to let them know where i was at.

    And you can use the phone when you have wifi to check emails and stuff like that..

    i don't think there are any cdma carriers in paris...
    Last edited by antonio3; 03/08/2010 at 08:36 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmitek View Post
    Hello-

    Is there anything I should know before traveling with my phone abroad? If I set the phone to only allow Sprint's network and turn off roaming, would I be safe to assume that I will not get charged? I was hoping to be able to use the WiFi when I am wandering around from cafe to cafe.

    Has anyone traveled with the device to Europe? thoughts?

    I appreciate it.

    Jim
    The Sprint Pre isn't going to roam in Europe so it doesn't matter what settings you change. Airplane mode will save batteries though.
  11. #11  
    depending on the plan you have everything should be fine... i have the full unlimited everything and have been to italy and paris and have had no issues with anything. roaming worked fine so i am not sure of the comments above.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    depending on the plan you have everything should be fine... i have the full unlimited everything and have been to italy and paris and have had no issues with anything. roaming worked fine so i am not sure of the comments above.
    what Pre do you have ? GSM or CDMA?
  13. #13  
    if u have a cdma pre and dont add an international plan and u go on the internet...be prepared to pay 2 dollars a megabyte....phone calls r the same no matter wut plan u get 2 dollars a minute
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    if u have a cdma pre and dont add an international plan and u go on the internet...be prepared to pay 2 dollars a megabyte....phone calls r the same no matter wut plan u get 2 dollars a minute
    Not so....If you have a CDMA pre in France there is no way to rack up a bill.....you will have no service.

    WiFi will not cost you anything unless you're asked for a CC #
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Not so....If you have a CDMA pre in France there is no way to rack up a bill.....you will have no service.

    WiFi will not cost you anything unless you're asked for a CC #
    tru if u have no service ur right...but bc i called sprint about if there was service in mexico where i went...they told me they have partners so i would need to get the world wide data plan if i chose so thats y...so if u have roaming parters where u r then put the plan or airplane mode...if theres no service then dont worry about it but better to put on airplane mode so the phone doesnt keep on searching for signal
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    what Pre do you have ? GSM or CDMA?
    its the sprint palm pre i believe gsm.
  17. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    its the sprint palm pre i believe gsm.
    All Sprint Palm Pres are CDMA.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    its the sprint palm pre i believe gsm.
    if i remember correctly...sprint has cdma not gsm
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    if i remember correctly...sprint has cdma not gsm
    whatever it is, it worked fine for me in both paris, france and from northern to southern italy.
  20. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    whatever it is, it worked fine for me in both paris, france and from northern to southern italy.
    As far as I know, the only GSM versions of the Palm Pre are available from O2 and Movistar. SFR is getting it soon as well. Sprint and Verizon's versions of the Palm Pre are both CDMA, and would not work in France. Although I'm not sure how you could have a Pre and not be sure of what network you have it on...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions