Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    This may be heresy here, but I have been considering Android as another possible route. As much as I am a Palm loyalist, I am not convinced Palm will make the needed comeback.

Android is likely to take off--it has very strong companies behind it. Problems include different versions of the OS offered by different companies.

Anyway, the Backflip is available now on AT&T. I have to say that I have been spending my time reading up the WebOS and the Pre, so I don't get the Android thing so much.

Can someone give me some thoughts?

Key features for me (currently using Treo 680):

-- Physical keyboard
    -- Sync with Lotus Notes (corporate)
    -- Sync with Mac
    -- Pimlico Software's (CESD) DateBK6 or Pimlical
    -- 3G
    -- Bells and whistles

The calendar issue is MAJOR. This is +1 for WebOS, because I can use the Motion Apps emulator to run DateBK6.

Development on Android is more open than any other platform, though--much like the old Palm OS. Apple is locked down--can't even access the Calendar database. Palm does not allow Java development (only Javascript).

So, what should I do?

~aviduser
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    First of all the backflip doesn't even run the latest version of Android so you aren't even getting all that Android offers. The screen isn't as good and I've read that it is laggy. If you decide to go the Android route I'd wait for ATT to get some better devices. Other than that I'd say it is personal preference as to which OS you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    please dont repost bump your old thread

You are quite possibly the most annoying person on this message board. Congratulations.
    More importantly Id wait for ATT to fix their bandwidth issues. Sprint is blowing ATT away with 3g speeds in my area.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    oh god. if this is even a hard decision, I have just lost more confidence in Palms survival.

Palm vs Backflip? How in the world have we fallen so far?
    well backflip is slow to get updates due to the blur skin moto put over android 1.5 (the current up to date version would be 2.1), has a gimmick for a design that i dont see working well, the design puts the keyboard on the bottom making me think that it might get damaged with all the going in/out of pocket or sitting on a table, and it has overall weak internals the only advantage i see is apps wise but pdk is coming soon

while the pre has instant updates directly from palm, a design that has weak hardware but works very well, and excellent internals but again flimsy hardware
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Sorry for reposting . . . the GSM forum does not get as much traffic and I wanted a broader range of comments . . . and there is no way to move the post.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I wish that companies would make the perfect device. In fact, wouldn't it be great if you could have a completely user-configurable device? Check off the options (screen size, processor speed, memory, SD slot, physical keyboard, etc) and they build to order.

Until then, I have to bug people.

As it is, only the Pre has the options I want . . . as long as I run classic with legacy PalmOS applications. Maybe I have answered my own question!

Cheers,

aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    oh god. if this is even a hard decision, I have just lost more confidence in Palms survival.

Palm vs Backflip? How in the world have we fallen so far?
    Also consider the fact that AT&T might have a WebOS phone in May . . . . I have already been waiting to upgrade my Treo 680 for a LONG time.

The Backflip will have the latest Android OS . . . once it's released for that phone. And it seems to have some cool features. And the OS seems to have growing interest from the developer community. If Palm opened up full java development, there would be a more robust interest from developers (at least I have been led to believe that by some in the know--which I am not).

I want Palm to be the go-to source for years to come. You can see the devices I have had in my sig. But, the Pre seems to be less than perfect and Palm's future is . . . far from secured.

I will probably hold out a few more months for the Pre Plus, but I want to make sure I am not overlooking something else. And there are lots on this site who have owned iPhones and Android phones, so I want to tap into those experiences.

Cheers,

aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    ummm .... Wouldn't the correct comparison be the pixi??

at&t locks down Android. What about iphone?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Very interesting article. I hope that AT&T does not pull the same crap with the Pre and/or Pixi.

Maybe we should all be looking for unlocked phones that don't have any of the carriers' crapware on them.

Thanks for the heads-up.

aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Do not buy a Backflip. Do not Do not Do not. I'm equal when it comes to OS love, but the hardware for the Backflip is just horrible (as well as some of the management decisions on software and functionality). It is a very locked down Android device.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    Sorry for reposting . . . the GSM forum does not get as much traffic and I wanted a broader range of comments . . . and there is no way to move the post.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

I wish that companies would make the perfect device. In fact, wouldn't it be great if you could have a completely user-configurable device? Check off the options (screen size, processor speed, memory, SD slot, physical keyboard, etc) and they build to order.

Until then, I have to bug people.

As it is, only the Pre has the options I want . . . as long as I run classic with legacy PalmOS applications. Maybe I have answered my own question!

Cheers,

aviduser
    well heres a concept phone thats sorta like what you want

In this fast moving era, the needs of the modern cellphone consumers keep changing with each passing day. Fulfilling the varied needs of all the members of a family, the “Mod” by designer Benjamin Guthrie is a modular phone that includes different screen and keypad modules, which can be used either separately or in combination, depending on the preferred interface. Designed in collaboration with T-Mobile, the device keeps evolving according to the altering needs of the modern users. Featuring a stand, trackpad and a keypad, the device generates power from a built-in battery.

Designer Benjamin Guthrie created the interesting Mod concept phone, in collaboration with T-Mobile and the device can be checked out in the images below. We’re dealing with a modular handset that features different display and keyboard modules, used either separately or in combos.

The device evolves according to the user’s needs and it also comes with a stand, trackpad and a keypad, plus a built-in battery, providing the needed juice. I don’t know why, but the Mod concept phone looks like something Helio would design, with a touch HTC and Sidekick also felt in its design.

What do you think?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    What if I changed the question to the Milestone (GSM version of the Droid)?

It seems you can get the Telus (canada) version and use it at full 3g on AT&T.

Thoughts on that phone?
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Quote Originally Posted by aviduser View Post
    What if I changed the question to the Milestone (GSM version of the Droid)?

It seems you can get the Telus (canada) version and use it at full 3g on AT&T.

Thoughts on that phone?
    Guy, ask the question in the cross platform forum. Your posts asking about phones that aren't the Pre just seem like trolling when you post in this forum. And the Milestone is essentially the Droid. If you want to try one out go to Verizon and play around with it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Guy, ask the question in the cross platform forum. Your posts asking about phones that aren't the Pre just seem like trolling when you post in this forum. And the Milestone is essentially the Droid. If you want to try one out go to Verizon and play around with it.
    I don't think he's trolling, he's just loyal to Palm but swayed by Android at the moment. He's looking for someone to convince him to stick with Palm. Sounds like he's with AT&T so he's kind of limited as far as selection without having to jump through hoops. I have a friend going through the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I don't think he's trolling, he's just loyal to Palm but swayed by Android at the moment. He's looking for someone to convince him to stick with Palm. Sounds like he's with AT&T so he's kind of limited as far as selection without having to jump through hoops. I have a friend going through the same thing.
    But how does that preclude what I wrote? He/she started the thread with ATT Pre versus ATT Moto Backflip. The cross platform forum is there for questions such as the one the OP posed. That is why the mods move threads such as this to the CP forum. He didn't say anything about wanting to be swayed one way or the other. Again, if that is what the OP wants the best place for that is the cross platform forum.

And I understand that he/she is with ATT, but how does going to a Milestone not require him/her to jump through any hoops? He would have to jump through more hoops by getting a Milestone instead of a Pre.

And I mentioned that he play with a Droid at a V store; not buy one b/c I assumed that he wants to go Android but wants to stay with ATT and he was asking how is the Milestone. Again, if you want to know how the Milestone is, he/she is likely to get more responses from the CP forum or he/she can just go to V and play with one.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Definitely not trolling. Have been using Palm devices since 1998 or 99. Really want Palm to succeed. But the market has changed a lot in the past 5 years. Plus, as much as I love the latest toys, changing smartphones is a major PITA--even Treo to Treo meant spending a lot of time making sure everything transferred properly. Changing OSes will be an even bigger PITA.

I have no experience with other devices--strictly Palm. Many on these boards do, however, and can make good comparisons between other phones and the Pre. That's all I am asking for.

By the way, I came over from TreoCentral and have been a long time member of PalmInfocenter. And I have never been accused of being a troll.

So . . . if you have helpful comments, I would love to hear them. If you don't, then don't post.

And thanks,

aviduser
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But how does that preclude what I wrote? He/she started the thread with ATT Pre versus ATT Moto Backflip. The cross platform forum is there for questions such as the one the OP posed. That is why the mods move threads such as this to the CP forum. He didn't say anything about wanting to be swayed one way or the other. Again, if that is what the OP wants the best place for that is the cross platform forum.
    I just disagreed about the trolling part. I fully agree it's posted in the wrong forum, but I didn't think it was necessary to repeat that since you already addressed it.