Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I came across this article...

Motorola Backflip doesn't allow non-Market apps, proves AT&T doesn't get Android -- Engadget

If they can do this to Android, what will they to to webOS? Rather concerned here since I'm planning to get one then unlock for use in Canada...

But I guess on webOS, help is just a doctor away, hopefully I can fully debrand it using the Doctor.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    silly at&t
    is he really that ignorant or am i missing something
    This is my read on the links posted, as a company, AT&T try to shield themselves from unnecessary exposure to customer issues, i.e. to keep stability, you make sure all to apps are tested and certified.

Customization from 3rd party apps are not always the best thing but there are gems out there. AT&T has taken the approach by saying: If you choose to install apps other than the one we certify, you may break this device, in which case it voids any possibility of replacement claims.
    Ronbo I agree with your take on ATT risks assessment. With Android's Marketplace (App Store) apps that Google didn't approve can be added to the Marketplace. I think Palm has enabled something like this for WebOs as well.

Can downloading such apps potentially cause harm to your device b/c it hasn't been approved? Sure. But is it ATT's place to say what apps one can download? In my opinion, no.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    They are just getting money from those who create apps that can appear in their phones
    The question is how much you want to allocate on support. If a company like AT&T finds that more users get into device issues because of uncertified 3rd party software, then it make sense, however, they will not share that type of information.

So to theflyingsquirrel258 point, is it all about the money?

iPhone users are well locked in, you see them all over the place, contributing to the AT&T coffers. That business model guarantees continues revenue for AT&T and Apple. I have about 10 members in my family that has iPhone each one of them paying data and voice. If the plan cost $50/month (assumption only), that is at least $500 a month of revenue.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    If they hadn't switched the search client to Yahoo I might have believed they were merely being altruistic and overprotective, but it looks like AT&T is trying to copy Verizon's old playbook from what I can see.
    I just got this device 2nd hand(never buy from AT&T directly, too much control over your account). It's basically consumer version Android, very casual and social. And Yahoo sucks as the default search IMO. But they did allow all other Google Apps from what I can see. Plus the official Android market isn't exactly horrible. I found many of my iPhone apps in Android form.

But all of AT&T's stuff that can't be removed is a drawback. I don't use many AT&T apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #11  
    I guess now that AT&T reps have their hands on the actual devices, I guess we can find out if anything's crippled on them:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - ATT Rep: Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

I think it'd be a bad move for Palm to sell crippled devices on any carrier these days. Let's hope not and that they stood up to AT&T! Of course, AT&T can bully them but crippled firmware is NOT what Palm needs right now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    all they have to do is disable dev mode
  13.    #14  
    We can still hold down the Volume Up, connect the USB then run webOS Doctor for SFR as a last resort.

Although I somewhat doubt that. Don't forget Palm themselves sell dev devices at full price + 20% off directly as well. If dev mode is disabled, what's the point of a "dev" device?

Anyhow, one rep responded in the thread and will try dev mode for us.

I just read over there that devmode works...so it's all good for you in the US of A...
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    I just read over there that devmode works...so it's all good for you in the US of A...
    And possibly Canada too, since there's a working unlock although not confirmed for the Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And possibly Canada too, since there's a working unlock although not confirmed for the Plus.
    Disregard post
    Last edited by kjb86; 04/15/2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Any hints for the AT&T release date? I may still try one out if I can get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Any hints for the AT&T release date? I may still try one out if I can get my hands on one.
    Stopped by the AT&T store a couple of days ago...the rep was still expecting beginning of May...He also seemed to be a big fan of the Pre, which is nice. Didn't try to convince me that an iPhone is better...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewakaMJ View Post
    Stopped by the AT&T store a couple of days ago...the rep was still expecting beginning of May...He also seemed to be a big fan of the Pre, which is nice. Didn't try to convince me that an iPhone is better...
    Sure hope this is the case--I'm eligible for an upgrade and am patiently trying to wait until beginning of May to get my Pre + on AT&T.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast