Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    So I was messing around with the GPS today on my Pre. Just so you know, I have never gotten a lock on GPS through the interactive tests and have never gotten anything but an estimated location on Google Maps. Today I finally got a lock on both! Here is what I did. Let me know if it works for you!

    First I went into location services and turned off the Locate Me using Google Services. I then turned it back on but turned off the option for Background Data Collection.

    After that I got a lock for the first time! Seems weird and I don't know if it is only me. Please give this a try and let me know if it works for you!
  2. #2  
    Was this on a regular Pre or Pre+?
  3.    #3  
    This is on a Pre Plus.

    I am trying it on my roomates Pre Plus right now. May have an update in a few...
  4.    #4  
    I am still working on my roomates Pre Plus. I was able to get it to make a lock on Google Maps but didn't lock on the interactive tests. Trying to walk through what I did to see if I can get his going...will let you know.
  5. #5  
    sometimes if i toggle the GPS on and off it will start to work -- it is random at best but then it will go back to sleep -- i think this is an energy saving deal and that APS like google maps - intersection -- or where is my pre need to be updated to somehow wake up the GPS when they need to access the hardware.

    i may be wrong but that is what it seems to me is happening -- every worked fine on my phone pre 1.4 and now GPS is worthless


    thanks
    Rob
  6.    #6  
    Interesting. Mine is still working perfectly, even after a restart. It's iffy with my roomtes. However, I turned GPS off completely and then turned just the GPS back on and it locked both on Google Maps and on the interactive test. Turned Google Services back on but turned off the data collection and seems to be working...

    I urge you guys to try this! His seems to be working fine now also.

    Turn GPS off all together, then turn it back on. Also turn on Google Services but leave background data collection off. Then try Google Maps and the interactive test. Let me know!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpyoung83 View Post
    Interesting. Mine is still working perfectly, even after a restart. It's iffy with my roomtes. However, I turned GPS off completely and then turned just the GPS back on and it locked both on Google Maps and on the interactive test. Turned Google Services back on but turned off the data collection and seems to be working...

    I urge you guys to try this! His seems to be working fine now also.

    Turn GPS off all together, then turn it back on. Also turn on Google Services but leave background data collection off. Then try Google Maps and the interactive test. Let me know!
    Try this go inside where the GPS loses signal wait awhile for the GPS to "go to sleep" then go outside and try to connect to google maps
  8. #8  
    I found before the 1.4 update that if I put my phone into airplane mode and then turn it off it resets the gps and then it works. I haven't had a problem since 1.4 but it might work for those times you don't want to do a full restart.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I found before the 1.4 update that if I put my phone into airplane mode and then turn it off it resets the gps and then it works. I haven't had a problem since 1.4 but it might work for those times you don't want to do a full restart.

    love the avatar -- -Jack rules -- I have my phone go into airplane mode every night and what ever i try GPS is sluggish to wake up again either after a reset or into out of airplane mode -- even when i toggle GPS off then back on -- the one thing that works well is the ##477# on the phone -- this works -- not quickly but works -- then once i have the gps connected it works fine -- until i go inside out of range -- the GPS will sleep and nothing wakes it -- I find this particularly frustrating because i like the program where is my pre a lot it was fun to use it to track my day and it was working great before but now it won't report at all/ oh well some one with more brains and time than me will figure it out
  10.    #10  
    This is pretty frustrating. Mespiff, you were right. After I didn't use my phone for a bit it would no longer get a lock on the GPS. I hope this is something Palm fixes soon in an update.

    From what I understand, this is only on the Verizon Pre Plus, correct?
  11. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #11  
    i've tried a lot of these combinations without much luck. airplane mode, luna restart, gps off/on, google services off/on. i did have some luck with the background data collection idea but the gps fix went away after awhile. although it did have me about 0.5 miles away from my real location instead of 420000 meters.
  12. #12  
    i don't think it's isolated to Pre Plus.

    I'm on a GSM Pre, and sometimes when i fire up foursquare it registers me as being in my previous location though i'm miles away.
    i then have to load google maps to get a fix, before rerunning foursquare again to get an accurate read on my location. so there must be something preventing foursquare and other 3rd-party apps from properly accessing the GPS.
  13. #13  
    ok - i started another thread about the same time this one started -- i was complaining about Where is my Pre not being able to access the GPS hardware. I think i might have a slight answer -- a day before i upgraded to 1.4 i was reading a thread and it suggested that i turn off the use google service to locate me to get a more accurate reading -- then i upgraded to 1.4 and assumed that this was the root of all my problems -- i have turned google services back on and i believe that during the day when i am down in the crypt at work this will allow my 3rd party programs to still get a location lock -- not nearly as acurate but it will still work -- we will see if this helps

    rob
  14. #14  
    Has anyone tried installing the GPS toggle patch in device menu to use it to turn on GPS and then try google map or ##477#?

    I would do this but my gps does work but my issue is its way off post 1.4
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Has anyone tried installing the GPS toggle patch in device menu to use it to turn on GPS and then try google map or ##477#?

    I would do this but my gps does work but my issue is its way off post 1.4
    i have tried both -- i still think the problem is that 1.4 puts the GPS into a sleep mode when not in use or connection with satalites -- i think that GPS then has a hard time waking up -- both of these will wake the GPS -- after awhile
  16. #16  
    try turning on your wifi even though there is no wifi around.
    mine seems to lock up almost immediately if i do this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i have tried both -- i still think the problem is that 1.4 puts the GPS into a sleep mode when not in use or connection with satalites -- i think that GPS then has a hard time waking up -- both of these will wake the GPS -- after awhile
    Hmm how about opening VZ Navigation app and leave it open and then open google maps or whichever LBS app a min later to see if you get a fix.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions