1.    #1  
    This past Thursday I was in my local sprint store exchanging my pre when I was able to observe a woman preparing to upgrade from a basic phone to her very first smart phone. As she approached the corner of the store reserved for smart phones I was pleasantly surprised when she was drawn straight towards a palm pixi.

Unfortunately for Palm, it was at this point when the sales rep that was helping through the transition stated that she should get a blackberry curve "Because they are really simple for a first smart phone user." Now, call me confused but last time I checked webOS was the simplest OS to use by far. You want to do something, you push it. There is no trackball, no menu based OS. I feel like I have observed the reason that the Palm family is performing so poorly. Sprint isn't pushing the line!

Overall I think this scene is a disturbing trend in the promotion of the Palm line. Here was a customer that the Pixi targets exactly and she was turned off of the phone b/c of a sprint rep calling it "too complicated." This makes me wonder if similar situations are happening at other sprint stores and I have to wonder what effect this is having on sales.

Just curious what everyone thinks of this.

BGSO
    lol and round and round we go....

the problem is that the stores work on commision #1 and 2 they tend to push what THEY know and Like.. so its a 2 part problem thats widespread accross any network
    I don't get the point of threads like this. Every phone Sprint, or any carrier, sells comes at the expense of another phone. WebOS is not "the" easiest smartphone for all people. In any case, it's not Sprint's job to help Palm. It's their job to sell contracts.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't get the point of threads like this. Every phone Sprint, or any carrier, sells comes at the expense of another phone. WebOS is not "the" easiest smartphone for all people. In any case, it's not Sprint's job to help Palm. It's their job to sell contracts.

Right, but when sprint gets kick back based on how many droid, blackberry or HTC devices they sell, that translates into sales people pushing whatever device that pays them the higher spiff.
    A normal customer doesn't want to buy a contract, they go into a cell phone store to find a phone that fits their needs. So for a sprint salesperson to be a "smart friend" to that customer, they need to be familiar with each device they sell. Plain and simple.
    So once any salesperson gets "familiar" with the Pre or Pixi, they would automatically recommend it? I've been an owner since launch day, and while there are some friends I would recommend it to, there are many, many others who I would steer away from it at all costs.
    I know we try not to push them anymore unless someone is interested even after hearing about the problems, they are nothing but a hassle to deal with not only for our sales guys but also me as a tech.I was a huge supporter when it launched. first phone I paid retail and got over a dozen buddies to buy one..NEVER again. Palm screwed up with the quality, hopefully they get bought up and a larger company can help improve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So once any salesperson gets "familiar" with the Pre or Pixi, they would automatically recommend it? I've been an owner since launch day, and while there are some friends I would recommend it to, there are many, many others who I would steer away from it at all costs.
    people generally are biased and tend to want everyone to believe they (A) know exactly what they are talking about and therefore you should get what I have, or (B) i know what i am talking about, you dont , thats why you came to me, i need to make money so take this....

sales people usually gravitate to (B) first than to (A) .... either way it doesnt mean anything.... believe me , i have been in sales for over 12 years in cell phones and there are very few that genuinely want you, Joe Customer, to have the best experience.

dont get me wrong they dont want you to be upset and bother them, but they will take the less complicated path ....or in the OP case the more complicated, since many customers dont want to admit that they cant figure something out, it makes them look stupid.
    It is also a sales tactic to sell only what you have in stock... Never sell them what they came in for if you don't have it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. J0E
    Palm is just about dead honestly. No one is pushing Palm phones from what I see. Best Buy even tried to get me to switch to the htc back in september when my pre broke within 30 days. The sales guy helping me swap out made it sound like the pre breaking was my lucky chance to switch while I still could and not make a big mistake lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It is also a sales tactic to sell only what you have in stock... Never sell them what they came in for if you don't have it.
    because you cant make money on what you May have tomorrow, only on what you DO have Today!!