Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thinking of moving from Treo to Palm Pre Plus, and had some questions:

1. Desktop- I understand that the Pre doesn't offer a desktop version. I am willing to purchase CompanionLink, but it doesn't transfer memos b/w my CompanionLink desktop and Pre. Thus, do I need to type in all my memos into my Pre?

2. Memos- I know the Pre has a memo function, but is there any way I can cateogirze my memos?

3. Is CompanionLink worth it? Are there other third-party software I should consider?
    CompanionLink works great to get contacts and calender to Google. It even does sub-folders, which Chapura PocketMirror doesn't do. Memos will be transferred with CL, but they will go in the Google contacts. It's just the way Google is. There are some pretty nice memo apps in the app catalog, but you might have to work to get your old ones there. If you don't have sub-folders to worry about, PocketMirror should do a good job. It syncs over wireless with Outlook on your computer and will do memos and tasks too.

Personally, I am trying to use the "cloud" as much as possible because it seems to be the future.
    I moved from a Centro, and I was quite irritated for the first month or so that I couldn't continue to use my Palm desktop. I have reluctantly migrated to Outlook and Google Calendar, and they work well; it's just a hassle to lose a perfectly good program.

Outlook and Google are easier (and free) to use, so unless you are absolutely set upon continuing to use Palm desktop, just bite the bullet and move on. Sorry I can't give you better advice; I think Palm should have made sure that there was still backward compatibility.
    i came from a treo too before going to web OS.

what i did.

1. exported the contacts, calendars to google

2. for my hundreds of memos, i exported them as a txt file. they will all be a txt file per entry. i created a folder in the pre (ie memos) and placed all the memos there. it will be alphabetically arranged but not categorized. this will open with doc view.

3. purchased classic (or do the trial) it makes the transition easier.

In my few weeks with the pre plus, i have unlearned the "hotsync" mentality of the old palm OS. my calendar and contacts sync with google now. which is really convenient

apps and other data sync with the back up app in the pre.

synergy is "hotsync" in steroids
  5.    #5  
    Thanks- What is the "cloud"? Also- I don't use/have Outlook, so is worth getting? Or should I just stick with CL?
  6.    #6  
    Outlook- so did you replace your Palm Desktop with Outlook? How do you like Outlook? If I did switch to Outlook, maybe I need to just switch to Chapura (and not CompanionLink)? Or do I need both?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDRock View Post
    Thanks- What is the "cloud"? Also- I don't use/have Outlook, so is worth getting? Or should I just stick with CL?
    the cloud is synergy...

IMHO i dont think you need companion link. if you are just trying to migrate data, there are free alternatives/ways (ie exporting to google)

i know you have palm desktop. just export to google
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    the cloud is synergy...

IMHO i dont think you need companion link. if you are just trying to migrate data, there are free alternatives/ways (ie exporting to google)

i know you have palm desktop. just export to google
    I am so reluctant to move to the Pre b/c:
    a) Tasks- My BF has the Pre, and he can't seem to sync his tasks (on his Pre) onto his google desktop. Is this doable?
    b) Memos- I know the Pre has a memo function, but I can't categorize them

Would moving to Outlook be like a "psuedo" Palm desktop?
    a) Tasks- My BF has the Pre, and he can't seem to sync his tasks (on his Pre) onto his google desktop. Is this doable?

BTW the "cloud" simply means accessing your stored data 'over the internet' and is synonymous with Palm's Synergy functionality.

No one can sync with Google tasks. This isnt a limitation with the Pre, it's with Google. Google does not have APIs to interface with their tasks yet.

Memos do not have the ability to be catogorized. I would recommend looking into something like Evernote (or it's competitors) and importing your memos...they'll be avaialble on your Pre or computer once you log onto Evernote.

As another post suggested, look into Classic for all the PalmOS itmes you need to preserve. Don't give up hope. New apps and and newer solutions are being developed that may bee even a better fit for what/how you conduct business. You also need to realize that there are new concepts and ways of acomplishing your tasks that come with new technologies. You will need to embrase this or stay stuck forever in PalmOS land.
    You may not know it, but Classic can hotsync with your desktop. So you can either use Classic for your old PIM data and applications, or create some hybrid using Classic/Hotsync, desktop/google sync, third party software like Missing Sync or Companion Link, and Synchronization to tie it all together.

I gave up and did the Google route. Works, except for Memos, and all your data is in cloud... I'm hoping someone creates some good PIM/sync solutions soon.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    BTW the "cloud" simply means accessing your stored data 'over the internet' and is synonymous with Palm's Synergy functionality.

No one can sync with Google tasks. This isnt a limitation with the Pre, it's with Google. Google does not have APIs to interface with their tasks yet.

Memos do not have the ability to be catogorized. I would recommend looking into something like Evernote (or it's competitors) and importing your memos...they'll be avaialble on your Pre or computer once you log onto Evernote.

As another post suggested, look into Classic for all the PalmOS itmes you need to preserve. Don't give up hope. New apps and and newer solutions are being developed that may bee even a better fit for what/how you conduct business. You also need to realize that there are new concepts and ways of acomplishing your tasks that come with new technologies. You will need to embrase this or stay stuck forever in PalmOS land.
    Thanks for your note.... but what is "Classic"? Sorry, I am such a newbie.
    Classic is the PalmOS emulator for the Pre. It allows you to run many of the old PalmOS applications.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Classic is the PalmOS emulator for the Pre. It allows you to run many of the old PalmOS applications.
    Is this something I can obtain in the Pre Apps program? Is this a third-party software?
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    CompanionLink works great to get contacts and calender to Google. It even does sub-folders, which Chapura PocketMirror doesn't do. Memos will be transferred with CL, but they will go in the Google contacts. It's just the way Google is. There are some pretty nice memo apps in the app catalog, but you might have to work to get your old ones there. If you don't have sub-folders to worry about, PocketMirror should do a good job. It syncs over wireless with Outlook on your computer and will do memos and tasks too.

Personally, I am trying to use the "cloud" as much as possible because it seems to be the future.
    I am trying to avoid the cloud. My contacts are considered company-confidential, and there is no way I am going to put them in "the cloud".

I am using PocketMirror to sync with Outlook on my local PC, and that solves all of my issues perfectly. They have another product that will sync with the last version of Palm Desktop, as well.

It's a shame that you have to spend some money to get a 3rd party product, but they work great and it will allow you to continue with the local sync paradigm that PalmOS users like me are so comfortable.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 03/08/2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    You may not know it, but Classic can hotsync with your desktop. So you can either use Classic for your old PIM data and applications, or create some hybrid using Classic/Hotsync, desktop/google sync, third party software like Missing Sync or Companion Link, and Synchronization to tie it all together.

I gave up and did the Google route. Works, except for Memos, and all your data is in cloud... I'm hoping someone creates some good PIM/sync solutions soon.
    PocketMirror and CompanionLink both have excellent PIM/Sync options today.

You can get them in the App Catalog. Quick and easy.

Both allow 15 day trial so you can experiment. Just remember that your Palm will see contacts from each product as different. WebOS groups them together but you will see two of each number under the person's name. It's better if you experiment with one, then remove those names (or reset your phone) and then experiment with the other. That's how I did it.

If you ever reset your phone, you just resynch with PocketMirror or CompanionLink. They also have a product that will sync with Palm Desktop in case you want to keep using that. I still think Palm Desktop is a pretty good PIM for those that haven't been forced to use Outlook by their employer...

...but I'm not bitter about having to give up Palm Desktop. Really, I'm not. Really.

Yes, as stated in my previous post, there are third-party apps that will let you sync with Palm Desktop and Outlook. Both will be much more like what PalmOS (Palm, Treo, Centro, etc) are used to. That's what I am doing.
    Outlook- so did you replace your Palm Desktop with Outlook? How do you like Outlook? If I did switch to Outlook, maybe I need to just switch to Chapura (and not CompanionLink)? Or do I need both?
    You only need one of them. Choose based on which PIM they sync with (which ever PIM you prefer). If you don't own Outlook, that makes it easy to choose the Palm Desktop you already have.

The other choice is sync method. Chapura syncs over wifi, CompanionLink syncs over USB. Both have good and bad points. Neither supports both methods, so it depends on whether you have regular access to wifi...
    Is this something I can obtain in the Pre Apps program? Is this a third-party software?
    Classic is an application for the Pre. It's a PalmOS emulator. It turns your Pre into a PalmOS device and you can run many programs that were written for the PalmOS Treo...even your Memos I believe.

Link: Motion Apps Classic for the Pre
    By the way, the PocketMirror tasks and memos applications both support categories.
    try ECHO its from chapura, developer of pocketmirror (Palm Pre Outlook Sync Solution - Sync Notes, Tasks and More - PocketMirror Standard by Chapura)

i think it would sync all PIMs (calendar, contacts, tasks and notes) straight from palm desktop by access... check it out!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast