Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Finally have purchased a Pre and thinking about leaving the Palm OS which I've used happily for many years......

I need to find an effective way to transfer a huge amount of contact and calendar data from my Palm OS Desktop (which is an old version 4.1.4). Is the CampionLink a one-transfer to get the data into Google so then I can use the cloud method of syncing with the Pre?

If so, why would you need to use it more than the 14 day free trial?

Any information or suggestions or experience with an old Palm OS Desktop would be very helpful.

Thanks JC
    Last edited by jccomo; 03/13/2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: clarity
    If you have your data in Palm Desktop or Outlook, use the Palm Migration Assistant for a one-time export to the "cloud." :

Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows

If you have your contacts/calender in Outlook, do a sync with CompanionLink to get it into Google and then, it will sync with your Pre automatically.

If you want to continue to use Outlook as your PIM, buy CompanionLink and it will automatically sync Outlook with Google. Google really only works well with contacts and calender right now.

The advantage of CL over Chapura is that CL will sync the subfolders of Outlook. However, Chapura will sync wirelessly with Outlook (contacts, calender, tasks, memo) if you want to keep your stuff off the cloud. And you can use Chapura Echo to sync with Palm Desktop if you want to really keep that.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    If you have your data in Palm Desktop or Outlook, use the Palm Migration Assistant for a one-time export to the "cloud." :

Palm - Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows

If you have your contacts/calender in Outlook, do a sync with CompanionLink to get it into Google and then, it will sync with your Pre automatically.

If you want to continue to use Outlook as your PIM, buy CompanionLink and it will automatically sync Outlook with Google. Google really only works well with contacts and calender right now.

The advantage of CL over Chapura is that CL will sync the subfolders of Outlook. However, Chapura will sync wirelessly with Outlook (contacts, calender, tasks, memo) if you want to keep your stuff off the cloud. And you can use Chapura Echo to sync with Palm Desktop if you want to really keep that.
    Thanks Gapost. I see that if you have more than 500 contacts, you are directed here:
    Palm - Moving a lot of info out of a desktop organizer

2 questions:

1. Even though my Treo is a Palm OS system, is the Palm Desktop-- WebOs?

2. Which is better to sync with the Pre: Google or Outlook? I don't use either for my contacts or calendar now so I would transfer the Palm Desktop data into the one that works best for the transfer and subsequent syncing. I do use Outlook for my email if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help. JC
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo View Post
    Thanks Gapost. I see that if you have more than 500 contacts, you are directed here:
    Palm - Moving a lot of info out of a desktop organizer

2 questions:

1. Even though my Treo is a Palm OS system, is the Palm Desktop-- WebOs?

2. Which is better to sync with the Pre: Google or Outlook? I don't use either for my contacts or calendar now so I would transfer the Palm Desktop data into the one that works best for the transfer and subsequent syncing. I do use Outlook for my email if that makes a difference?

Thanks for your help. JC
    1. palm desktop is not webos...
    2. personally i use google... i think you still need to export outlook to the "cloud" for it to go to your pre... unless of course your outlook is in a network from work
    As my signature points, out I've also come from a Treo and Centro. One thing that you haven't asked about, but will probably find incredibly frustrating is the speed difference between PalmOS and WebOS. PalmOS was instant. When you tapped an application, it started up immediately. But with WebOS, it's a *LOT* slower. I mean a metric ton slower by comparison. I've had my Pre since June 5 (sprint's release day) and I'm still not quite used to how slow it is.

This speed difference shows up in lots of places, not just starting up an application. Here are the areas that I find the lag of the device to be the most infuriating
    1. Answering a call
    2. Switching days on the calendar
    3. Starting the Phone app

Now, that said, I can't go back to the Centro. I've gotten too used to some of the benefits that come w/my Pre:
    • A real web browser
    • Pandora
    • Multitasking
    • Twee (my favorite twitter app)

But boy howdy, do I miss the speed of PalmOS.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I need to find an effective way to transfer a huge amount of contact and calendar data from my Palm OS Desktop (which is an old version 4.1.4). Is the CampionLink a one-transfer to get the data into Google so then I can use the cloud method of syncing with the Pre?
    When I migrated all of my data to my Pre, I used a free tool provided by palm: Palm Data Transfer Assistant

It worked OK. I had to play with it several times to get it to work the exact way I wanted. But it did work. And it's free. But of course, it's a one-time deal. It's not a sync solution. The assumption is that when you're done with it, you'll simply stop using Palm Desktop or Outlook or whatever you used to use.

Edit: Oops. I see someone already answered this.

Which is better to sync with the Pre: Google or Outlook? I don't use either for my contacts or calendar now so I would transfer the Palm Desktop data into the one that works best for the transfer and subsequent syncing. I do use Outlook for my email if that makes a difference?
    I know of no way to sync to outlook directly from the Pre. I know that there are add on solutions like companionlink or markspace that do it. But I don't use them because I'm to cheap to buy the software. I had all of my data in Outlook. For me to get it into my Pre, I had to first sync my centro to Palm Desktop so that the above Data Transfer Assistant could then sync it to google.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 03/12/2010 at 09:09 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Companion Link is intended for ongoing two way sync for people that don't want to use the "cloud".

If you use Palm's Data Transfer Assistant, you'll have to upgrade your Palm OS desktop to 6.2.2 before moving forward. The DTA won't recognize 4.1.4. Doesn't take long to do the upgrade.

Thanks for your help. JC
    This depends on a couple things. If you are using Outlook with an Exchange server (as most do), and if you are able to connect to it from your Pre (set up your email account as an EAS account and see if its able to retrieve email), and if you don't have any issue with having your contacts on your work server.

Assuming all of the above, getting your contacts into Outlook is probably the better solution. It will sync with your email, its integrated and you'll be surprised how quickly you start using the calendar and to do task list since all of them will sync together.

If the earlier conditions have any "NO" answers, then use Google. Either way, the syncing becomes totally transparent (no plugging in the cable or hotsyncing..its all done "autmagically").
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    Companion Link is intended for ongoing two way sync for people that don't want to use the "cloud".

If you use Palm's Data Transfer Assistant, you'll have to upgrade your Palm OS desktop to 6.2.2 before moving forward. The DTA won't recognize 4.1.4. Doesn't take long to do the upgrade.

This depends on a couple things. If you are using Outlook with an Exchange server (as most do), and if you are able to connect to it from your Pre (set up your email account as an EAS account and see if its able to retrieve email), and if you don't have any issue with having your contacts on your work server.

Assuming all of the above, getting your contacts into Outlook is probably the better solution. It will sync with your email, its integrated and you'll be surprised how quickly you start using the calendar and to do task list since all of them will sync together.

If the earlier conditions have any "NO" answers, then use Google. Either way, the syncing becomes totally transparent (no plugging in the cable or hotsyncing..its all done "autmagically").
    Starbuckk,
    Are there any issues in updating the Palm Desktop to the 6.2.2 version ...I have lots of data in calendar and contacts. I think there were some features missing in the 6.2.2 version which is why I never updated so I am wondering if I'll lose date when I update now.

Sounds like Outlook will work and be a good solution....but I'll miss the Palm Desktop which I've had for so many years...JC
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    1. palm desktop is not webos...
    2. personally i use google... i think you still need to export outlook to the "cloud" for it to go to your pre... unless of course your outlook is in a network from work
    Thanks John.

Actually in my question #1 above...I meant to ask...is my Palm Desktop Windows--even though the Treo 700p that it syncs with has Palm OS? Want to be sure that transfer procedures outlined in the link Palm - Moving a lot of info out of a desktop organizer will work for this onetime transfer of the huge amount of data I have in both calendar and contacts function.

#2 My Outlook isn't in a network at work...so I could use either Google or Outlook for calendar & contact desktop function and to sync with cloud and Pre

Thanks for clarifying #1... JC
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    jccomo - no issues at all updating Palm Desktop to current version. I had to too.

Not sure I understood your question (#1) clearly, but your Palm Desktop is Windows, if you're on a Windows PC.

Good luck!
    I've been using Evernote (free) for all my memos. Imported all my notes into Evernote which has a desktop as well as mobile client. In addition, if neither my desktop or my phone is available, I can access all my notes & memos via any internet browser. Plus, I can attach pdfs, pictures, web pages, etc.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    jccomo - no issues at all updating Palm Desktop to current version. I had to too.

Not sure I understood your question (#1) clearly, but your Palm Desktop is Windows, if you're on a Windows PC.

Good luck!
    Thanks TheMacs....you did answer my question in #1....wasn't sure if there were different Palm Desktop versions depending on whether you had a Treo on Palm OS or WebOS....

So now all I have to do is update the Desktop and make the leap to the cloud!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Ok...I'd like to take advantage of experience in this thread and ask 2 more transfer questions:

1. Splash ID--is there a Pre version of this application? And can the data from my 700p version be transferred somehow?

2. File Z-- is there an equivalent of this file manager software..and is it needed? I used it to transfer files to and from my SD card.

Thanks for the new information. JC
    Ok...I'd like to take advantage of experience in this thread and ask 2 more transfer questions:

1. Splash ID--is there a Pre version of this application? And can the data from my 700p version be transferred somehow?

2. File Z-- is there an equivalent of this file manager software..and is it needed? I used it to transfer files to and from my SD card.

Thanks for the new information. JC
    1. Yes, and the newest version is working very well and fast. You can get the old data in there. I think I imported my old SplashID data into the new desktop version, then exported a .vid file and imported into the WebOS SplashID. All my data went in and like I said, the newest WebOS version is working well.

2. There is a program called Internalz, but you can use your Pre just like a USB mass storage drive. Plug it in to your computer and the screen will pop up a button called USB mode, and then you just drag and drop. It's fast, USB. 2.0.

Oh, and CL can sync Outlook data to directly to your Pre via a cable. OR, it will automatically sync the Outlook data to Google (Contacts and Calender), so that Google can sync to your Pre over the cloud.
    Last edited by gapost; 03/13/2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added info
    1. Yes, and the newest version is working very well and fast. You can get the old data in there. I think I imported my old SplashID data into the new desktop version, then exported a .vid file and imported into the WebOS SplashID. All my data went in and like I said, the newest WebOS version is working well.
    I did not think there was a desktop version for WebOS of SplashID. They did announce a (rather crude, it seems to me) way of backing up data onto your computer (but not doing a sync) -- I'd love to be wrong about this.
    Last edited by mgabel_pi; 03/13/2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgabel_pi View Post
    I did not think there was a desktop version for WebOS of SplashID. They did announce a (rather crude, it seems to me) way of backing up data onto your computer (but not doing a sync) -- I'd love to be wrong about this.
    It looks like you are right. This is the response I received from SplashData Customer Service:

If you use the native (webOS) version of SplashID, there is no sync yet, but you can backup the data.

* If you buy and install Classic for webOS, which is a Palm OS Emulator for the Pre, you can install SplashID for Palm OS and HotSync it.

* To get SplashID for webOS, buy it from the App Catalog.
    If you decide to use that version, you need to export your data from SplashID Desktop for Palm to a non-password protected vID file. Then put the file on the Pre, then run SplashID on the Pre and follow the in-app help to import the data.

Does anyone have a convenient way to make SplashID work with the Desktop? Does Classic work well?

Thanks. JC
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I have spent hours with Palm tech support and tried all their various methods to move 13 years of data from Palm Desktop to Pre:

1. Data Transfer- this system didn't work...only moved my repeating events.

2. Synced Treo to Microsoft Outlook to Google. Data transferred to Google but only repeating events transferred to Pre.

3. Companion Link--used it to transfer 2 different ways first from Outlook and then from Desktop. In both cases data successfully transferred to Google but only 6 months of current data transferred to Pre.

My data had been stored in the 4.1.4 version of Desktop which I converted to 6.2 to transfer through Companion Link to Google.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS????

Thanks. JC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDRock View Post
    2. Memos- I know the Pre has a memo function, but is there any way I can cateogirze my memos?
    There is a webOS app called Classic Memo which is pretty good.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    CompanionLink works great to get contacts and calender to Google. It even does sub-folders, which Chapura PocketMirror doesn't do. Memos will be transferred with CL, but they will go in the Google contacts. It's just the way Google is. There are some pretty nice memo apps in the app catalog, but you might have to work to get your old ones there. If you don't have sub-folders to worry about, PocketMirror should do a good job. It syncs over wireless with Outlook on your computer and will do memos and tasks too.

Personally, I am trying to use the "cloud" as much as possible because it seems to be the future.
    How Gappost, I see that my notes from my Treo have been set up as memos on the Pre but I don't see them in Contacts? Are they stored anywhere in Google?

Thanks JC
    New Pre
    Desktop 6.2.2
    How do I migrate contacts to Outlook? I have 5 "catagories" in Access. Do I have to make 5 different Outlook Contact pages? Will all the data go (home addresses, work addresses, other addresses?
    I tried exporting one category with 13 contacts. When I marked "all" before export, it only exported one contact. I have 1800+ contacts.
    thanks.
    Bob
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast