1.    #1  
    was in line for an event in nyc the other day, was taking a picture with the pre and the person behind me struck up a convo about the phone (she had just purchased it from verizon)

we discussed the plus and original version differences, then she went into how the customer rep in verizon was so bothered by the fact she wanted the pre he almost refused to sell it to her. saying things like " you don't want that phone, everyone hates that phone", "the droid is better, purchase the droid"

the lady was there specifically to buy the pre, she had to argrue with the guy just to purchase it.
    Wow. But again, these stories about Verizon are nothing new. That is why Palm is trying to work with Verizon to correct these known issues.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Its awfully difficult to change the attitude of reps like that though. I suspect that attitude has its roots in the known flaws, issues and returns we all know about involving the pre. not built well = not pushed well.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Its awfully difficult to change the attitude of reps like that though. I suspect that attitude has its roots in the known flaws, issues and returns we all know about involving the pre. not built well = not pushed well.
    Maybe. But again, V pushing the Droid doesn't seem too strange b/c of the money they've thrown at it. However, actively discouraging someone from a purchase is wrong.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    tisk tisk, i think someone on here said it best before, they don't push it because they don't know how to use it and they are not well informed. How can they sell something they don't know....

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I bought mine on Verizon launch day...although, from the look of things, this launch was light years ahead of the military on it's stealth mode! There was no sign visible from outside the store. DROID was advertised, and 'smartphones' in general since they had a smartphone sale going on at the time. But the Pre was absent from the available pictures of example smartphones. Inside the store there were 2 pres and 2 pixis available for inspection. I think they were getting ready to put up some instore display...not sure about that.

There were 3 of us from my office there to get the Pre+. We were the first 3 the sales rep sold. She knew precious little about the Pre...we were schooling her, and she appreciated the help! All in all, she was honest and fine to deal with.

A week later, I was back in the store helping my daughter upgrade her phone (env2 to env3...she didn't think she needed to spend $29.99 a month for a smartphone data plan...so stuck with the 3g $9.99 on the env3...she has an iPod touch which she can use for wireless access when available, works for her). The sales rep (different person) was pretty helpful, but when the topic of Pre and Droid came up (fellow next to us asking questions on DROID), I offered my 2 cents. I have a DROID with me at times (company after hours emergency call phone) and told what I liked about each (Pre+ and DROID) and didn't like. The sales rep wrinkled her nose at the Pre, surprised I liked it better than the DROID because her boyfriend said the DROID is great...she admitted she had little to no time with the Pre+ though.

So, there is a lack of education bias against the pre...but the new efforts being pushed by Palm onto Verizon might help. I'm hopeful.

Unfortunately, I tend to pick devices that disappear. After receiving the Palm IIIe as a gift...I went on to the HandERA 330...a groundbreaking device...GONE! Then I went to the Tapwave Zodiac 2...even more groundbreaking...GONE! I'm a little scared...
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 03/26/2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: It's "Lack" not "Lake"...can't spell..."Lake of education"...where's that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I bought mine on Verizon launch day...although, from the look of things, this launch was light years ahead of the military on it's stealth mode! ...

ha ha ha that made my day lol... too funny.. yet true

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Its about time for PALM commercials comparing it with Droid, iPhone and BB.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I cannot overstate it enough....marketing marketing marketing. Sony Reader was the first to book mass market Ebook readers out. A year later Amazon released the Kindle, marketed it smart, and now it is to Ebook readers what iPod is to MP3 players, most people don't even know Sony has Ebook readers. They are marketing them now....but too little too late.

The interesting thing to me about all this is I understand they had some issues with the original Sprint Pre, but they fixed many of those issues with Pre Plus. I don't hear nearly as many complaints about Pre Plus hardware as you hear about Sprint's Pre, particularly when initially released.

Please, as a long time Palm customer, and as an investor, PLEEEEEASE step it up Palm
    Well I bought my Pre+ yesterday at the Verizon Store. And at that store they have 2 Pre+ and 2 Pixie's on display. They were actually very nice about it - I had my mind set on the Pre+ and told them I wanted a Pre+ the Manager of the store said "NO Problem" and called one of his reps to assist me. So while he was activating and setting it up - I asked him how was the Palm Pre sales doing at that store - and he indicated they were selling very well and he himself even had a Palm Pixie. So, it was nice to hear that my store sells the Palm very well - and hopefully the rest will too!
    Yes I agree I have 3 sotres in about a 7 miles range and the closest sells the heck out of the Pre and Pixi Pluses. The other 2 are not knowledgeable on the Pre
    I'll give the stores here credit, both Sprint and Verizon. They both got the Pre when it hit, learned it, tried hard to sell it, but the fact here is that we've got a high unemployment rate and low pay for the jobs you can get. When average family income is under $30k a year, and housing costs are atrocious (my apartment is $700 a month, nothing included.....I have to save $1800 just for heat, and that's a good price), expensive smartphones just aren't on the list of must-haves. Everybody here, aside from the few management level folks, rock cheap low-end phones. It's rare to even see a slider qwerty dumphone here, let alone a Droid or Pre. That's why I waited so long to get mine, I definitely wanted it, no question, but no way could I justify $550 on a phone. Had to wait until annual discount time.
  13.    #13  
    I agree on the marketing just from the attitude of my friends.
    When the pre came out i was excited about it, being more into tech gadgets then them. With no hip commercial or ad campaign they just immediately dismiss the product as another iphone knock off and get on with their day.
    Fast fwd 6 months later, the same friends are coming to ME with excitement over the droid, all because they see the cool hip add on TV about its release. They are telling ME what the droid does and how its going to be a great phone. meanwhile 99% of what the droid does is what the pre was doing first 6 months ago.

its all about marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    .....I have to save $1800 just for heat, and that's a good price), expensive smartphones just aren't on the list of must-haves...
    I have an idea...run your pre at 800MHz and you can save on your heat bill! Multi-tasking just took on a whole new meaning!

Disclaimer: I know I have read that the new 800MHz overclocking set up doesn't result in much increase in heat generation...I was just foolin' around with the concept...small attempt at humor...nothing to see here...moving along...won't quit my day job.
    Can hardly wait to see what the AT&T reps do when they get the PrPrPr&#$275$;.
    I went in to Best Buy this weekend to grab a HDD enclosure and just happened to see their mobile phone guide sitting on the stand in the store. I grabbed it just out of curiosity. I discovered there was a whole BB section, a whole Android section and then a section for each major carrier spotlighting their hot phones. There was no mention of the palm devices for Verizon. Now, I don't know if you have to pay to advertise in these publications or what. One thing is clear though, palm's salvation will not come from Verizon in any way, shape or form. If you weren't paying attention, you wouldn't even know there was a palm device available from them.
    it's going to be a crowded market if verizon does get the iphone this summer.

WSJ: Apple 'developing new iPhone,' plus another for Verizon -- Engadget
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    One thing is clear though, palm's salvation will not come from Verizon in any way, shape or form.
    Forget PALM's salvation, any phone manufacture's salvation will not come from Verizon.

Its just a tool for them to sell their "Can you hear me" service. They pushed Storm. Now its more like what is "Storm" ?

PALM better get a new form factor and work out the kinks on 1.4.