View Poll Results: Does the next "Pre" need to be 4G for Palm to survive?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely. They can't afford to fall behind other companies and need to be on the cutting edge.

49 53.85%
  • Absolutely not. A spec'd out and much improved 3G device will keep them floating.

39 42.86%
  • They're doomed either way.

5 5.49%
  • What the hell is 4G?

1 1.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Been out of the loop for a bit, and couldn't find this on the forums.
    Did anyone see Sprint's new 4G commercial? I like how they are touting the features and speed on their new WiMax network, and I'm praying for a Palm 4G device. However, I noticed that the phone they used in the commercial looked like the Samsung Moment. Now, call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that there are no 4G phones out there yet, so I wonder what they're trying to say here. Great if they're just using any phone to show an upcoming service, but I find it strange that they would advertise 4G on a phone without actually having devices with that functionality. Also, the Moment? Really? I would think that they would use a different, new device to show this off.
    I've gotta think that a 4G device is literally right around the corner if they are already advertising 4G phones. Question is, does this bode well for a new 4G Palm device? If Sprint is getting ready to start rolling out 4G's, how do you think a new Palm 3G device would appear next to them, even if it does have much improved hardware? In my opinion, Palm's next device NEEDS to be 4G, or they are going nowhere. I'd really like to see it sooner rather than later, so they become more of a leader in the 4G world, rather than jumping in after other manufacturers are well into the game.
    What do you think? Does the next Palm need to be 4G for them to survive?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    hmm, i'm not sure that making/not making a 4g phone would save the company or be a make or break.

I think it all comes down to getting more Palm Users and to do that they need to sell more devices. This feature would be a plus on their next device but it still doesn't mean they are out of the woods.

edit* but after thinking about it i guess they need to stay up to date since they've been playing catch up all year. The next device should be cutting edge this way it will help when it's compared to other devices in the future.
    Last edited by 05typesdc5; 03/08/2010 at 09:43 AM.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Been out of the loop for a bit, and couldn't find this on the forums.
    Did anyone see Sprint's new 4G commercial? I like how they are touting the features and speed on their new WiMax network, and I'm praying for a Palm 4G device. However, I noticed that the phone they used in the commercial looked like the Samsung Moment. Now, call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure that there are no 4G phones out there yet, so I wonder what they're trying to say here. Great if they're just using any phone to show an upcoming service, but I find it strange that they would advertise 4G on a phone without actually having devices with that functionality. Also, the Moment? Really? I would think that they would use a different, new device to show this off.
    I've gotta think that a 4G device is literally right around the corner if they are already advertising 4G phones. Question is, does this bode well for a new 4G Palm device? If Sprint is getting ready to start rolling out 4G's, how do you think a new Palm 3G device would appear next to them, even if it does have much improved hardware? In my opinion, Palm's next device NEEDS to be 4G, or they are going nowhere. I'd really like to see it sooner rather than later, so they become more of a leader in the 4G world, rather than jumping in after other manufacturers are well into the game.
    What do you think? Does the next Palm need to be 4G for them to survive?
    yes, they need it and asap
    I believe the commercial is for the Overdrive Mobile Hotspot.

So when showing video streaming to the phone, it's implied the phone is connecting to the hotspot via WiFi and it's not actually a 4G phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

So when showing video streaming to the phone, it's implied the phone is connecting to the hotspot via WiFi and it's not actually a 4G phone.
    i haven't seen the commercial but that was what i was thinking.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post

Nope, the commercial says something about downloading Airplane to my phone at the airport. It has another spot that talks about the 4G hotspot.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the vast majority of users won't have 4G coverage in their locations over the course of the next year, correct? If that's the case (and I could be mistaken about access to 4G), then whether the phone has the capacity becomes a moot point.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the vast majority of users won't have 4G coverage in their locations over the course of the next year, correct? If that's the case (and I could be mistaken about access to 4G), then whether the phone has the capacity becomes a moot point.
    Whether or not you have 4G in your area does not make this capacity a moot point. First, WiMax is available in many major markets, giving millions of people the ability to use the 4G capabilities of these phones. Second, WiMax IS coming, so being ahead in the game would give Palm a huge leg up on the competition. Finally, showing off a 4G phone would push Palm into the spotlight, with a device that can deliver the performance of a next gen network. Just the tag "4G", in my opinion, would open a lot of eyes. Which is exactly what Palm needs to happen.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

They showed the Overdrive in every scene, you just couldn't always see it very well. In the airport scene, he was holding the Overdrive in his hand down low. It was actually kind of good that they showed it that way, because I thought the device was much larger until I saw it in his hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    They showed the Overdrive in every scene, you just couldn't always see it very well. In the airport scene, he was holding the Overdrive in his hand down low. It was actually kind of good that they showed it that way, because I thought the device was much larger until I saw it in his hand.
    Found it, photo attached. They would have made a much bigger deal about it if they had a 4G capable phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The ad has the Overdrive in every scene (with the exception of the U301 in the first scene), and every device he uses to access the net has WiFi capability to take advantage of it.

For those who haven't seen it, and for reference...
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    the overdrive was in every scene.. trust and believe when the first 4g phone is ready sprint will do commercials just like this... im jus hoping hoping Palm is in the spotlight and not google and htc. THe supersonic is showing itself now a days.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-su...ief-appearance
    ... Speaking of 4g. Have you seen all the players moving from the wimax market? Not good. ..because of verizon/at&t push of LTE is causing some to say it's dead. Cisco was the most recent investment partner to pull out. (see engadget).

... But in other great news... Wimax tech is still progressing... Which is great. Read these #'s....

Intel Sees 2012 Deployment for Mobile WiMax Release 2 - PCWorld Business Center

a friend of mine has told me he gets 2 Mbps upload speeds on Wimax in Orlando.
    ALL phone manufacturers need 4g devices to stay competitive, just the nature of the beast.
    OMG, this commercial is hilarious! YouTube - sprintnow's Channel
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    4g coverage is so limited right now that it really wont matter much for a while. Will the next palm phone need to have 4g for them to survive? NO. Would it be nice? YES

Palm has proven time and time again that they do not need to be on the cutting edge to stay afloat. Palm OS was around forever and still Palm survived.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I will be very sad if the next palm device is not 4g..... I'm getting 4G in my area 3rd quarter this year (slc utah). If next palm device isn't 4g I may just have to switch untill they come out with one I love WebOS, but 4g is sexy.
    I think people put too much stock in the importance of being one of the first to bring a 4G phone to the market.

Some tiny number like 8% of cell phone users take advantage of 3G capability, even fewer actually know what that means. Strictly from a phone perspective, you'd have a difficult time anywhere in the near future trying to market advantages of a 4G phone vs a 3G phone. Not saying there are no differences, but good luck finding a significant amount of people who both care and can recognize the advantages. You'll have a few people that will want 4G because it's higher than 3G, but it will mostly fall on deaf ears.

Look at how much money VZW and AT&T are spending on their 3G coverage feud. If 4G phones were imminent, they would be all over "4G is coming" like Sprint did a couple years ago instead of touting "old" technology.

Whatever the outcome, 4G is going to be way down on the list as far as what makes or breaks Palm. The capabilities of the network are a carrier issue and phone manufacturers need to worry more about matching their tech to that which reaches the most customers.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    ... Speaking of 4g. Have you seen all the players moving from the wimax market? Not good. ..because of verizon/at&t push of LTE is causing some to say it's dead. Cisco was the most recent investment partner to pull out. (see engadget).

... But in other great news... Wimax tech is still progressing... Which is great. Read these #'s....

Intel Sees 2012 Deployment for Mobile WiMax Release 2 - PCWorld Business Center

a friend of mine has told me he gets 2 Mbps upload speeds on Wimax in Orlando.
    I saw that last night. Although they did make a good point. CMDA has survived amidst the GSM global market. My only concern there is that Sprint had a CMDA partner in Verizon, so the technology had a pretty good foothold here in America. However, with Verizon rolling out LTE gives that tech an apparently large lead over WiMax. I think Sprint's saving grace may be that its network is already out there and growing. Let's hope that Walmart rumor is true and they can blanket the nation quickly and cheaply.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Call me crazy but wouldn't QualCom have to produce a 4G chipset? That would mean a brand new 4g Pre, HTC Smart Phone or Google android handsets would have to be released. Or will it be a firmware upgrade?? Intel is better positioned to produce this product IMHO...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast