Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep your phone in your pocket?

40 60.61%
  • keep it in a pouch or holster?

26 39.39%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so I conducted a little poll yesterday to see how many people prefer carrying their Pre in a pocket vs. a holster or case of some sort. So far, 64% of us are 'pocket' Pre people. Which brings me to a hypothesis I first formed many months ago when people first started complaining of the infamous Oreo Effect.

Could it be that carrying the Pre in the pocket subjects it to enough rigorous buffeting, rubbing, and lateral stresses (especially when sitting down in a pair of medium to snug fitting jeans) in general to (prematurely) induce Oreo than the virtually stress-free existence of a pouched or cradled Pre?

How many people who are experiencing considerable Oreo Effect are pocket Pre carriers?
    my phone is in the pouch and is in my pocket

i have little-to-no oreo

had it since aug 2009
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    i think part of what contributes to the oreo effect is that palm wanted the back of the device look clean which i personally really like... have you looked at the back of a droid u can see all kinds of screws and tracks. ok i might be exaggerating but i think the pre does well with the overall design
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    Okay, so I conducted a little poll yesterday to see how many people prefer carrying their Pre in a pocket vs. a holster or case of some sort. So far, 64% of us are 'pocket' Pre people. Which brings me to a hypothesis I first formed many months ago when people first started complaining of the infamous Oreo Effect.

Could it be that carrying the Pre in the pocket subjects it to enough rigorous buffeting, rubbing, and lateral stresses (especially when sitting down in a pair of medium to snug fitting jeans) in general to (prematurely) induce Oreo than the virtually stress-free existence of a pouched or cradled Pre?

How many people who are experiencing considerable Oreo Effect are pocket Pre carriers?
    I'm sure that this contibutes largely to the problem, but I never keep my Pre in my pockets and mine's had oreo since the second week i've had the phone in June.
    I always treat my phones like eggs, and i'm sure there are other ppl out there that do also, yet still have noticeable oreo issues.
    But you're right, keeping it in jeans pockets definitely isn't a good idea. It's too fragile for that.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 03/08/2010 at 08:25 AM.
    have had for 6 months,carry in my pocket,,no oreo affect. I think it is caused by sliding open on 1 side with one hand. I slide mine open with 2 hands all the time.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't think it's "caused" by anything but poor manufacturing. I always carry it in my pocket, open it a variety of ways, but generally treat it nicely, and I've had Pres with noticeable twist and ones with only a negligible amount.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Some games... ie "Need For Speed" could be part of the problem. The very nature of some games require you to hold the pre while maling turns etc etc intoducing excessive lateral force... My grandson was palying Need For Speed for just a few minutes and suddenly I had the "oreo affect"...

I keep my Pre in its pouch and in my jacket pocket... No problems until NFS and my grandson.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Mine in in a pouch and in my pocket. Never had a problem with oreo.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Mines spent it's whole life in a side load pouch (not once in my pocket) and it has horrible oreo. I'd imagine the frequency of opening and closing is the real culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Mines spent it's whole life in a side load pouch (not once in my pocket) and it has horrible oreo. I'd imagine the frequency of opening and closing is the real culprit.
    That's another reason we need a VKB.
    I babied my pre for the first month I had it starting August and it still doesn't have any significant oreo even though I'm more careless now.

I rode (snowboard) 15+ days this season and took some nasty tumbles off boxes, kickers, and skiers plowing into me and my phone is still oreo-free and the screen is still intact.

All this with my phone in my pocket without a pouch.
    keep in pouch in pocket almost no OREO
    It has nothing to do with the pocket.
    I bought the Pre a week ago. No oreo. Never put it in my pocket. Within a day or two the oreo effect was present.

My theory is opening and closing the slider loosens things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
    I babied my pre for the first month I had it starting August and it still doesn't have any significant oreo even though I'm more careless now.

I rode (snowboard) 15+ days this season and took some nasty tumbles off boxes, kickers, and skiers plowing into me and my phone is still oreo-free and the screen is still intact.

All this with my phone in my pocket without a pouch.
    You went snowboarding with a Pre in your pocket? wth?
    I have a case on mine and keep it in my pocket no holster.

I don't have an oreo effect unless I try to force it to happen without the case on it. DH just keeps his in his pocket and has no oreo effect either.
    From my personal experience, i'm on my second pre now for 4 months, I think i quickly notice why i ended up w/ an oreo effect. I was related to how i would open and close the pre.

See in my image below, i used to always slide up my phone from the corner, it seemed the fastest way to open the slider, you can see the pressure it causes when you push the slider like this. it causes the screen to move slightly, doing this 20x a day eventually lead to weak slider.

(sorry for crappy picture it was taken from my BlackBerry, thank god it's only my work phone)

This and slamming the screen shut really quick caused me to have oreo effect within the first month i owned my pre. This caused me to change the way i used my pre.,

i now use two fingers to slide the phone up evenly and i also do the same to slide the phone down, i've had my second pre for 4 months and havne't had a problem since.

so all in all i think it was the way i used it that caused it to happen, because other than that i still carry it in my pocket and sometimes in my sleeve but mostly in my pocket.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    From my personal experience, i'm on my second pre now for 4 months, I think i quickly notice why i ended up w/ an oreo effect. I was related to how i would open and close the pre.

See in my image below, i used to always slide up my phone from the corner, it seemed the fastest way to open the slider, you can see the pressure it causes when you push the slider like this. it causes the screen to move slightly, doing this 20x a day eventually lead to weak slider.

This and slamming the screen shut really quick caused me to have oreo effect within the first month i owned my pre. This caused me to change the way i used my pre.,

i now use two fingers to slide the phone up evenly and i also do the same to slide the phone down, i've had my second pre for 4 months and havne't had a problem since.

so all in all i think it was the way i used it that caused it to happen, because other than that i still carry it in my pocket and sometimes in my sleeve but mostly in my pocket.
    My thoughts exactly!
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Checking for oreo effect is the major cause of oreo effect.
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    All it needs now is a glass of milk!
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Checking for oreo effect is the major cause of oreo effect.
    very true

when you have oreo effect you just know, if you don't know then don't bother checking cause cause you could ***** it up.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast