66. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep your phone in your pocket?

40 60.61%
  • keep it in a pouch or holster?

26 39.39%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I believe carrying it in your pocket and certain video games (!) definitely are things that add to the problem. I have gained a few pounds over the years and my jeans are a little tighter these days so I am careful not to put my Pre in my pocket too much when sitting. lol Just a suggestion: can people just type things like Virtual Keyboard instead of "VKB" for those of us who do not have the entire acronym vocabulary down. ;-) Maybe I am just a little behind on my acronyms but I find that I am constantly Googling these things when everyone could just stop pretending to be an Einstein and just type like a humanoid.
    Carried in my pocket for 9 months now and no oreo.
    ive heard that dipping your pre in milk starts the oreo effect.....

I slide , with my thumb from the middle of the display , upwards. and close with two fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpre View Post
    ........just a suggesttion: Can people just type things like vitual keyboard instead of "vkb" for those of us who do not have the entire acronym vocabulary down. ;-) maybe i am just a little behind on my acronyms but i find that i am contstantly googling these things when everyone could just stop pretending to be an einstein and just type like a humanoid.
    AFN, i WILCO
    THX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    AFN, i WILCO
    THX
    top 2 google results for AFN= American Forces Network or Alaska Federation of Natives

and WILCO = (from wikipedia via google search) Wilco is an American alternative rock band based in Chicago, Illinois. Its name comes from the voice procedure term "wilco" meaning "will comply."

and THX = THX is next generation surround sound, developed by a George Lucas company
    Ok ok.

AS FOR NOW, i WILL COMPLY.
    Thanks.

(Chat Slang, from the official catalog. It has over 1000 of these.)

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    i think MIT should do a study on the oreo effect
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    have had for 6 months,carry in my pocket,,no oreo affect. I think it is caused by sliding open on 1 side with one hand. I slide mine open with 2 hands all the time.
    I agree, because opening it with one thumb puts lateral pressure on it. Dropping it is another major cause. I had no oreo effect until I slammed on the brakes and the phone went flying. Now it has just a bit, but not enough to ask for a replacement (which would be a refurb and possible have oreo or other problems.)

I agree that pants pockets (especially back pockets) will create stress and also lead to oreo.

Keeping it in the pouch is always advisable. I recently went to an extended battery and I am getting a belt holster that works with the bigger battery so I don't have to keep it in my pocket. Mostly because of the way it can be scratched by other things in my pocket. I use a screen cover from ZAGG, but keys and other stuff will eventually damage even something as tough as ZAGG.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPre View Post
    I believe carrying it in your pocket and certain video games (!) definitely are things that add to the problem. I have gained a few pounds over the years and my jeans are a little tighter these days so I am careful not to put my Pre in my pocket too much when sitting. lol Just a suggestion: can people just type things like Virtual Keyboard instead of "VKB" for those of us who do not have the entire acronym vocabulary down. ;-) Maybe I am just a little behind on my acronyms but I find that I am constantly Googling these things when everyone could just stop pretending to be an Einstein and just type like a humanoid.
    we use acronyms because our thumbs are tired from typing on our Pre...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we use acronyms because our thumbs are tired from typing on our Pre...
    I hear ya...I have fat finger syndrome on the Pre and think my fingers need to go on an Atkins diet. I was in kind of a rotten mood and had to release my fury at something! lol
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I remember once a while ago when I heard a bunch of people complain about Oreo, I took my Pre and literally twisted it with a pretty significant amount of force back and forth repeatedly for like 20 seconds.

I still don't have any oreo... I think some people might just have defective Pre's. I suffer from some screen blotches above the gesture area, I've yet to see a Pre 100% free of defects. Most are easily livable though even though IMO they shouldnt be there to begin with. That said, I can cut Palm some slack but with whatever replaces the Pre they better fix these issues.
    Probably the way you hold it. Most people I see hold their phones (any type, landline, cordless, or cell) tend to hold them low, or somewhat low near the middle. Being in a noisy environment (like walking down the street) you unconsciously jam the phone harder to your ear to hear better. Doing both of those is going to lead to loose sliders eventually, you're putting pressure on two halves in the wrong directions. I've adjusted to holding the phone a bit above the middle, so if I do put pressure on it, its on one half only. Kinda got into the habit when I had flip phones years ago, the hinges kept getting loose on me.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    have had for 6 months,carry in my pocket,,no oreo affect. I think it is caused by sliding open on 1 side with one hand. I slide mine open with 2 hands all the time.
    I use two hands also but have oreo effect.
    My husband's first Pre had Oreo, out of the box. I think he had it a half hour before he took it back for a new one. So I don't think his had anything to do with putting it in pockets or how it was opened. Mine has a tiny bit of give, and has since I got it in November. It's in my pocket a lot (less now since my extended battery), and I don't take any particular care while opening it.

I think it depends on your favorite color and the time of day you activate it.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I think the real cause of this damned oreo effect is...the phone is just a piece of junk.
  16.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophersky View Post
    ...the phone is just a piece of junk.
    Wash your mouth out with soap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophersky View Post
    I think the real cause of this damned oreo effect is...the phone is just a piece of junk.
    if you're talking about quality control, materials and assembly, I have to agree with you.
    But this is just a side of the phone.
    on the other one webOS is still the best out there.

I have to say that the curves of the phone could be a suspect. I mean, straight rails instead of curved would have been far way better....

mine in pouch and pocket. still oreo and wobbling.
    =( sad but true
    I put my Pre in the Slim Pocket Pouch and have no Oreo Effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    You went snowboarding with a Pre in your pocket? wth?
    I always bring my pre when I snowboard. Sure, I'm usually roaming at most resorts since they are in the middle of nowhere, but when I visit Mt. Snow in VT I get near perfect reception and it's something to mess around with on the lift.

Initially, I was a afraid to take my phone with my the first day of the season since I thought I would crack the screen or have an oreo-pre after a nasty tumble. However, after this season I do not have the slightest wiggle or shift in rails.

In all seriousness, I took a nasty tumble last night at a local resort in CT. I face-planted off a jump trying a fs spin. I received a bloody nose and scraped up face. Yet, the pre still survives intact.

I know the pre received some compression and torsion stress since it was in my front pocket at the time.

Call me a pre apologist, but I suppose it isn't as delicate as people have stated or even what I was led to believe by owning one.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast