webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Free handset unlocking from o2
Free handset unlocking from o2

Old 03/07/2010, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

hey guys im new here etc but would like to share a little bit of useful info to any o2 uk pre users.

you can unlock your pre free of charge on o2's website. it's not instant (took about 3 days from mine to happen)

goto https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form if your interested.

(they will only unlock it if it was taken out on a contract with o2)

cheers
normanpearson1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2010, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have just requested mine. On the O2 site it says for unlocking the fruit-phone but I guess there is no harm to try that....

I can get rid of my Rebel Sim now

I will post when if it works
Vas
VasTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2010, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly Shadow-360

Wow, this is awesome .

Thanks for the tip, didn't know they did Pre unlocking for free too ^_^

Filled in form, will update in due course.
Old 03/07/2010, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

They do it for a few handsets, yeah the iphone too. all o2's contract handsets are sim free apart from a few and these are the ones they will unlock, palm included.

yeah i got lot of tips on here on how to get the most out of my palm (lol joke in there somewhere) so its nice to give something back.

cheers
Old 03/08/2010, 04:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wasn't aware they (02) did this,
just waiting til they get round to it!
Thank's where thank's is due
Old 03/08/2010, 05:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Can those who have filled out the form please update us with statuses?

My Pre was taken out on a 24 month O2 contract, but not by me, by someone else.
So with respect to the phone number and email address that is requested on the link in the OP:

- Does the phone number entered need to be the same number that the contract was taken out with?
- Does the email address entered need to be the same number that the contract was taken out with?

Those who have completed the process (I presume successfully? i.e. it works??): how did they contact you, if at all, how did you become notified the unlocking had been completed, did the two details above play a part, did you need to supply more info, ....most importantly, did you use a different phone number/email address to that against which the phone contract was taken out against?
c_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2010, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanpearson1983 View Post
hey guys im new here etc but would like to share a little bit of useful info to any o2 uk pre users.

you can unlock your pre free of charge on o2's website. it's not instant (took about 3 days from mine to happen)

goto https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?...locking%20Form if your interested.

(they will only unlock it if it was taken out on a contract with o2)

cheers
I forgot to ask. Did you receive a txt/call to tell you your handset had been unlocked?
Old 03/08/2010, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_man View Post
Can those who have filled out the form please update us with statuses?

My Pre was taken out on a 24 month O2 contract, but not by me, by someone else.
So with respect to the phone number and email address that is requested on the link in the OP:

- Does the phone number entered need to be the same number that the contract was taken out with?
- Does the email address entered need to be the same number that the contract was taken out with?

Those who have completed the process (I presume successfully? i.e. it works??): how did they contact you, if at all, how did you become notified the unlocking had been completed, did the two details above play a part, did you need to supply more info, ....most importantly, did you use a different phone number/email address to that against which the phone contract was taken out against?
I think the original post says the contract has to be taken with O2. So I guess they need the original number and email details. I haven't received any notification from O2 yet. I am off to Greece on Wednesday night so hopefully it will be unlocked by then so I can use my Greek sim for a few days. Will let you know how it goes though...
Old 03/08/2010, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nada yet! hopefully soon tho,i've used same number and email from taking out my contract,it's now a waiting game.
Old 03/08/2010, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
FXC

Nice find thanks.
FXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2010, 04:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good work, this will help a lot of people
errade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2010, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
I forgot to ask. Did you receive a txt/call to tell you your handset had been unlocked?
i got a text after about 3 or 4 days advising me that it was now unlocked. it can take a bit longer but the basic jist behind the unlocking from o2's point of view is that the phone belongs to you and its up to you what you do with it, unlock it all you want just still pay us money.
Thanked By: nyermen
Old 03/08/2010, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
I think the original post says the contract has to be taken with O2. So I guess they need the original number and email details. I haven't received any notification from O2 yet. I am off to Greece on Wednesday night so hopefully it will be unlocked by then so I can use my Greek sim for a few days. Will let you know how it goes though...
hey yeah the details asked for are to verify the security to what name etc the phone was set up under so when entering the name and address pop in the correct info. the email address can be your own but the number and name have to match the bill.

let me know how you get on
Old 03/09/2010, 08:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Someone is talking porkies.........

I fell for this and filled out the unlock form.

here is the reply I got.....

the English is sooooooo bad so i'm presuming it's an indian call centre rep.

####################

Thanks for getting in touch bout unlocking your Palm Pre.

I understand that you wish to unlock your Palm Pre, as you're going abroad and want to use it with other SIM card. I'll certainly assist you with this.

I'm sorry to inform you that we can't unlock Palm Pre, as Palm Pre only belongs to O2. O2 is the exclusive owner and provider of Palm Pre handsets and no other Service Providers can use it by unlocking it.

I'm sorry for any incontinence this may've caused to you.

I hope I've explained this clearly to you.

Thanks again for taking the time to send us your email. For lots more help and how to get the best from your O2 service, please visit our new online 'Support' section at [url= - O2[/url]

Have a nice day ahead!

Bharti
O2 Customer Service.

Telefonica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No . Registered Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

#################

So someone is talking rubbish as they do not unlock exclusive handsets........

why tell porkies!!!!!!!!!
stevepoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hahahahaha, sorry for your "incontinence"...
Old 03/09/2010, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
sde

From O2

Quote:
Can I unlock my O2 mobile to use it on a different network?

For Pay Monthly and Pay & Go customers
If you're a Pay Monthly customer with an Xda or BlackBerry then you can request for your handset to be unlocked at any time, free of charge. Other O2 Pay Monthly handsets are not locked to our network. The only exception are handsets which are exclusive to O2 such as the Palm Pre which remain locked to the O2 network as we want our customers to have the very best Smartphone experience.
So that's a no for the pre then
sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 12:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Hahahahaha, sorry for your "incontinence"...
Yeah....because finding out you can't get your pre unlocked by O2 causes you to went your pants.....

do be honest with you the 'English' does not surprise me, have you even spoken to one of these guys?
stevepoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 03:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

So has anyone had any success with this apart from the original poster?
c_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 04:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Looking at the O2 forums it would appear that they do NOT unlock phones while they still have exclusivity on the handset. They certainly didn't with the iPhone so I can't see why they would with the Pre, perhaps the OP got lucky with whoever received his online form?

Anyone else had any luck with this? Would be something nice to have.
dubmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Still waiting to hear back...
I filled in the form Sunday night...

Tags
unlocking

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0