Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I was wondering if anyone has found any correlation between battery drain and LED Notifications.

I've turned mine off and I'll see if it is going to make a difference.

The reason I'm asking is because I remember when I installed a LED Notifications Patch (Homebrew) and it made my battery drain faster than ever.

Any non-statistical (based on assumption) findings?
    I don't have a Pre so I imagine you'd have to measure yourself and let the rest of us know. That would suck because I'm a huge messaging users and it would be important for me to get notifications when I get messages.
    Looking at the size of the light on a Pre, it seems as though it would take much more power to light the rather large button rather than a smaller little LED like those on Blackberrys or even the Centro.
    do you have any idea how much power an LED draws?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    That one LED draws a very small amount of power, so I doubt the LED notification itself is going to make a noticeable difference in battery life. There is a side effect of the LED notification though. When you see the LED blinking, you probably aren't going to just let it sit there and blink all day. You are going to pick up your Pre and check to see what you are being notified of. If it's an email, you are going to check your email. If it's a text, you are going to read it and probably reply. If it's a missed call, you are probably going to call the person back. If it's a voicemail, you are probably going to check your voicemail and then call the person back. All of these things will make you use up your battery faster than if it was just sitting there all day with a bunch of emails, texts, missed calls, etc waiting for you.
    It doesn't drain the battery like making the light of a Centro blink did. As I mentioned in a couple other posts, the other day I fell asleep soon after I got an e-mail (I heard it, but didn't check it) and so that thing was blinking for nine hours. My battery was at 51% when I finally woke up and checked it and that was after I'd picked it up off the Touchstone (and used it) in the early afternoon of the day I fell asleep. I was happily surprised, as I know my Centro couldn't last that long with the blinking light.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i've had battery drain issues post 1.4 but they seem to be when using the phone, not so much when idle. i think the point is not so much that the LED draws significant power, but the software driving it might have a bug causing excessive drain.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i've had battery drain issues post 1.4 but they seem to be when using the phone, not so much when idle. i think the point is not so much that the LED draws significant power, but the software driving it might have a bug causing excessive drain.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Or it could be your compulsion to do everything twice that makes the battery drain twice as fast.
    The LED would draw an insignificant amount of current. First off, the LED "throbs", meaning that for the most part, it's operating at less than 100% duty cycle. (LEDs don't "dim" effectively, even when you alter the input current (LEDs are current-driven, not voltage-dependent), so they have to be cycled on and off very quickly to give the illusion of being dim.) I'd be more than unsurprised if the software routine that enables LED blinking takes more battery power than the LED itself - and by far. The LED alone might drain your battery a fraction of a percent over the span of a day - probably well under 0.1%, and even that may be too high, considering how much time it spends off, and even when it is on, that it has a variable duty cycle.