Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

After the Uk posts in:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...germany-3.html

I thought I would ask if anyone in the UK has got mobile hotspot working with webOS 1.4? Or does anyone know what the problem might be? Others suggest that it is a problem with o2 preventing tethering. How do they do this? And what might the solution be?

Thanks,

kingofbeans
    Well I am using a Pre on O2 UK. I have tried probably every documented way of getting MHS to work on 1.4 and nothing works. Even tried MyTether and that doesn't work either.

The problem I get is I can get the services running on the Pre and can see the device listed on my Pre. So the local connection is there but the Pre drops the 3G connection at that moment and the device (eg my laptop) can't connect to the O2 service.

I have given up on it now before I bust a blood vessel in my head.

What I do know is that O2 UK have started charging iPhone users to tether through their devices by way of a Bolt-on. So they must have a process in the system to stop people abusing the download limits!

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question fully. Just says a lot for the uk system though, if they can get extra money out of the customer they will!
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Well I am using a Pre on O2 UK. I have tried probably every documented way of getting MHS to work on 1.4 and nothing works. Even tried MyTether and that doesn't work either.

The problem I get is I can get the services running on the Pre and can see the device listed on my Pre. So the local connection is there but the Pre drops the 3G connection at that moment and the device (eg my laptop) can't connect to the O2 service.

I have given up on it now before I bust a blood vessel in my head.

What I do know is that O2 UK have started charging iPhone users to tether through their devices by way of a Bolt-on. So they must have a process in the system to stop people abusing the download limits!

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question fully. Just says a lot for the uk system though, if they can get extra money out of the customer they will!
    The tethering in the U.S on Verizon is chargeable so no difference there in trying to charge for services.
    Yes, ok read that aswell but verizon ain't available in UK. General concensus is that nobody in uk can get it to work on 1.4. Heres a one for you prove you can get it working in 1.4 on O2 UK, I'm sure you will make a lot of people happy.
    You may try the solution for Bell.
    h-t-t-p://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/236154-mobile-hotspot-working-1-4-bell.html

Don't know why posting links sometimes doesn't work
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    Yes, ok read that aswell but verizon ain't available in UK. General concensus is that nobody in uk can get it to work on 1.4. Heres a one for you prove you can get it working in 1.4 on O2 UK, I'm sure you will make a lot of people happy.
    Not true. I have been happily using MyTether since 1.4 on O2 in the UK. The key for me (apart from getting the latest MyTether installed) was to also turn on IP forwarding using FreeTether. This seems to work just fine so I have not bothered trying to get MHS working again but I have seen threads discussing how to do that.

Apart from turning on IP forwarding I find letting it settle for a minute or so before trying to connect seems to help.
  7.    #7  
    Hi Andyhurley,

You are talking about mytether and not MHS. I have been told Mytether works but i would like to give MHS a go. You mention threads where people are discussing how to get MHS to work. Do they succeed? If so is there any chance you could send me a link?
    To be honest I didn't bother reading as I had MyTether working but if you look over on the general Pre forum there are lots of (mainly Sprint & Bell) users discussing the MHS problems. I don't know the current status but in the early days there was talk of a patch or a newer version of MHS or something. I'll see if I can dig out a thread...

EDIT: Try this thread, sounds promising:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-1-4-bell.html
  9.    #9  
    Anyone given the Bell method a try on o2 UK. It seems weird that Mytether works for o2 UK but MHS and freetether wont! How is that?
    OK just tried the bell method and it worked beautifully. Got a say, wasn't expecting it to work though.

It dropped the 3G connection like before giving me a local connection only, but then seemed to regained it when I loaded up a web page. All I can say is SSAAAWWWEEEETTTTT.

So this is one O2 UK pre owner who is very happy!

One question - How would I go about testing the connection speed accurately?

EDIT: WOW, just realised how much tethering through the pre sucks up the battery life. Tethered my home computer to my pre and heard the 20% battery life warning and within 5 it was gone and telling me to plug it in to charge!!!! Think a battery upgrade maybe necessary!?
    Last edited by beastobadness; 03/19/2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Sudden realization
  11.    #11  
    Cheers Beastobadness,

I will have to give it a go tomorrow now! For testing connection speed I always use:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

But I have noticed on other forums others often use other places... there are plenty out there, but speedtest usually works for me. Also I used to use the File download/upload tests on toast.net as they work well for checking real speed.

Kingofbeans
  12.    #12  
    I have now attempted the method somline wrote up for Bell and it does work perfectly! One thing I would add is that before anything would install properly with WebOSQuickInstall I needed the Lsdiff and GNU patches. These are easily installed with WOSQI and I did this prior to installing freetether, MHS or the IP forwarding Patch.

I don't know if this will be necessary for others but if you are having problems it maybe worth a try!

Also o2 speeds are poor... but from what I read that is just the UK for you!
    Congrats kingofbeans,
    you may try the unthrottle patch to speed up.
    Please follow the complete thread because there are two files I changed:
    "/etc/palm/download.conf" and /etc/palm/luna.conf.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've just got this working using the Bell method somline posted as well. All works very well and should come in handy once in a while!

My connection via the Pre is actually pretty fast. Loading a YouTube video seemed just about as fast as my home broadband connection, although I imagine if I had lots of things opening in various tabs it might slow down a little. This is in Edinburgh however; from experience, I know the network seems a lot slower in other places, namely London.

Anyone know how o2 UK deal with tethering, on the Pre specifically? On the iPhone you gotta have a 10/month "Web & WiFi," bolt-on in addition to the unlimited data allowance included in the calling plan. I can't see anything about tethering in the Pre's T&Cs though (probably because there has never been a method to tether Pres to PCs in the UK until now), so are we to assume it's fair game and that they won't be able to detect and charge us?
  15.    #15  
    Hi Somline,
    Thanks for the info, will give it a go in the next week when I have a while. I really can't thank you enough for all your help! You're the greatest!

StevenX, there is a lot on the internet about tethering on o2... and it is isnt a new thing. Plenty of phones can do it and it used to be allowed (or at least not forbidden!)... now o2 have impossed this tethering thing on the iphone and we're not supposed to. I believe recent T&Cs for o2 are supposed to say tethering isnt allowed and they have threatened to remove the unlimited internet if abused... BUT they also say they will contact these people first and it seems to only really be for people doing excessive downloading. Around forums I cant find anyone who has been contacted OR anyone who has been charged and some people are saying you cant be charged for it.

Basically, I dont know for certain what the dangers are but it seems no one does But most think it is safe enough... just don't take the p**s with downloads!

kingofbeans
    This is wicked...tethering on O2 UK rocks! With following all these posts I have Mobile Hotspot working and it's quick too. Thanks
  17. i3
    haven't tried this yet on 1.4.... but... i would just like to say... i received 2 warnings rom o2(UK) so far in a month... that i am abusing the fair usage policy... and that was on the handset!!! no tethering even!!
    Wow, how did you manage that i3. You must be downloading or streaming a hell of a lot of data to have managed that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbeans View Post
    Hi Somline,

StevenX, there is a lot on the internet about tethering on o2... and it is isnt a new thing. Plenty of phones can do it and it used to be allowed (or at least not forbidden!)... now o2 have impossed this tethering thing on the iphone and we're not supposed to. I believe recent T&Cs for o2 are supposed to say tethering isnt allowed and they have threatened to remove the unlimited internet if abused...

kingofbeans
    I got in working following somline's method, and using his modded mhs app - thanks a million somline!!

in terms of 02 + iphone & tethering - they must have a way of identifying tethered data, at least on the iphone - as the bolt has a data limit - so if you're on unlimited data package as all iphone users are - and then buy say a 3gb tether data bolt -on 02 must have a way of identifying which data packets are tethered and which terminates in the phone. So they can draw down your tether data limit?

Just in case i'm gonna wait till the next bill still i start using mhs. Unpackaged data costs are 20p per MB!!
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    Now connected to the internet tethered through my O2 UK pre on 1.4.1 using MHS 1.0.14. All seems hunky dory!! (fingers crossed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast