Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just some clarification here.

If you don't have a previous version of MHS installed you will not see the new version in the app catalog. If it is installed then it will appear as an update.

I still have the same problem as before. The app works fine, but I get a message asking me to contact 02 as my provider does not allow tethering on this plan.

At first the Pre shows no data connection. After the message I get a 3G connection again but connected devices cannot use the 3G connection. The Pre's browser works fine.
    paulpenny I take it you are from the uk. If you are then follow the bell method of installation exactly.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-1-4-bell.html

Then try updating MHS to 1.0.14 and see if it works for you aswell as it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastobadness View Post
    paulpenny I take it you are from the uk. If you are then follow the bell method of installation exactly.

Then try updating MHS to 1.0.14 and see if it works for you aswell as it works for me.
    I had it working on o2 uk using web os 1.4 and somline's mhs 1.0.11 - i let it update to mhs 1.0.14 and it stopped working.

So before update to web os 1.4.1 i uninstalled auto forwarding, mhs, and mytetherd in that order - reinstalled mytetherd, mhs 1.0.11 and auto forwarding in tht order - then updated to 1.4.1 and it's working again. No messages from o2, and no data charges so far.
    My Palm Pre is tweakalicious! - Your iPhone is tweakaphobic!
    Posted using MHS on Orange UK. No need to install the daemons or patches, just MHS itself.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So basically after 1.4.1, if we update to the new version of MHS it'll stop working on o2 UK?
    And the workaround is just not to update MHS?
    Does anyone know what the changelog is for MHS 1.0.11 to 1.0.14?

EDIT: My MHS had stopped working when I first installed the update, was getting a white screen and nothing else.
    I then uninstalled everything freetetherd, auto ip forwarding patch and MHS 1.0.11, restarted, then reinstalled everything via WebOSQI, allowed it to update to 1.0.14 and it worked again.
    Last edited by beastobadness; 04/01/2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: After thought
    Now connected to the internet tethered through my O2 UK pre on 1.4.1 using MHS 1.0.14. All seems hunky dory!! (fingers crossed)
    Ditto. So now with 1.4.1 we can use either MyTether or MHS in conjunction with FreeTether to enable IP forwarding and it just works.

I spent a couple of hours last month tethered to my work laptop running a remote desktop and when I checked with O2 there were no charges.

As far as I an see, the MHS works fine on a UK Pre.

The problem is o2 blocking it.

I know there are ways around it but I don't need it enough to be bothered.

The main thing though is that the updated app is not available for download in the App Catalog - unless you have the previous version installed where it appears as an update.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Mobile hotspot doesn't appear to be in my app catalogue. I have done the 1.4.1 update.

Any Ideas?

ignore that i have just seen the message up top
  10. sde
    So, the simple answer is that O2 Uk do not support the mobile hotspot or tethering.

Is that a fair summary ?
    Yep, I would say that is fair to say!

That is probably only because of the rubbish 3G network we have in the UK through O2. And after all, if every tom, **** and harry did it that had a mobile phone that was tethered to their PC's, O2 would probably have total network meltdown on their hands.

(All I can say is that the German O2 network must handle the data loads better!)

Doesn't mean there isn't away around it though. Just don't go streaming music and tv whilst tethering!
    Please quote me if I am wrong!!
    quick question, how do i download it?
    Just installed on O2 UK Pre, works like a dream. Thanks to kingofbeans for the heads up and somline for the how to.
    Just thought I would post a follow up as there still seem to be some folk having problems. If you download MHS on a UK O2 Pre (I did it by having the earlier version downloaded and then I was offered the update with 1.4.1) there are still a few hurdles to getting it working.

Firstly with both MHS and MyTether I get either no internet connectivity or messages from O2 saying tethering is not supported BUT if I then turn on IP forwarding (using FreeTether in my case but there are other less easy ways) then it seems that the traffic is just forwarded through the phone and O2 don't seem to be worried.

Even then it takes a few minutes from getting it all set up to traffic actually flowing. I'm not sure why there is this delay but I have found that opening up a web browser on the phone seems to speed things up.

Using this configuration I have been able to connect my work laptop through a secure VPN and run a remote desktop to do all my work. It may be slow but when away from a wifi network it is a way for me to connect to work. Not something I would want to do often as it is very slow (in my case I only had a weak 2G signal) but at least it is possible.
    Hi Andy, are you saying that if I update the MHS then the ip forwarding patch is not working anymore ?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12