1.    #1  
    I currently have a Centro - and we work well together most of the time. I am considering moving to the Pre, but have some concerns based on what I have read so far. Here are some things I need, will the Pre work for me?

1) I need to connect phone to desktop and sync to Outlook on a daily basis. This is Contacts and Calendar with minimal To-dos & Memos.

2) I need to be able to NOT have my information out in the cloud - Google or anywhere else - regardless of how "safe" it is.

3) I need to be able to not recharge the phone all day - currently Centro rarely gets below 50% on a typical day and never below 25% even on the heaviest days.
    The Pre is great and I love it. But it probably won't work for you right now.
    yea. I don't think it would work out with you.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    You can't connect the phone to the desktop to sync unfortunately.
    The cloud has been pretty reliable. I think once Palm had problems, but they have backup files if you call them.

I can understand how you do not feel comfortable with the cloud though.

And you'll rampage through the battery pretty quickly unless you have an extended battery, which can add to the bulk of the phone if above 1450 mAH (I think).

I would wait until Palm's new model comes out (hopefully for Sprint).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I am amazed businesses are allowing potentially sensitive data into the cloud. I would think there would be issues with that. I really don't understand how they can make any phone, let alone a "smart" phone that does not work with Outlook out of the box. What happens when you are out of range anyway?

Which is the new model? I am on Verizon and they just released the Pre+ I am not likely to change carriers, but it would be nice to know what to look for.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks. I am amazed businesses are allowing potentially sensitive data into the cloud. I would think there would be issues with that. I really don't understand how they can make any phone, let alone a "smart" phone that does not work with Outlook out of the box. What happens when you are out of range anyway?

Which is the new model? I am on Verizon and they just released the Pre+ I am not likely to change carriers, but it would be nice to know what to look for.
    I work for a very large company and there is no issue with the cloud idea here. Our email is managed via Exchange, and any important data is either kept there, or in an online database I can access via my device. I do keep some somewhat sensitive files on my device, but with our EAS settings (and also via Palm's website), I can wipe my device's memory in the event it falls into someone else's grimy hands. Our network guys are actually feel very secure with the cloud concept now-a-days.

And to answer your question, the Pre+ is the newest model... and I'm not sure about your second question of being 'out of range'. If you mean how do you access files while in a no-signal area... well with the 'cloud' concept, you are keeping your files on your device and using the cloud only as a place to keep your backup files in the event you need to wipe your device and reload from the backup.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post

The cloud concept is optional. For example, if you use your phone on MS Exchange, like a BlackBerry, then your data wouldn't be in the cloud. Blackberry actually has the cloud concept if you sync your BB Tour with your Yahoo account.

You're right, the Pre doesn't play with Oulook, but it can sync wireless with Exchange, IMAP, or POP3. I agree with you that it's a nice feature to be able to sync via a wire with Outlook.