Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well,
    I uneventfully went to the Sprint repair center this morning and showed the friendly guy my USB cracked Pre. Explained the widespread phenomenon and no questions asked he filled out the replacement order form. Should have it by Tuesday.

This will be my third Pre. Hoping to have the best luck with this one. Love my webOS but this Pre thing is challenging!
    I have never had this problem with my launch day Pre, but I purchased a TS charger with it and have been using it to charge my Pre since day one.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have never had this problem with my launch day Pre, but I purchased a TS charger with it and have been using it to charge my Pre since day one.
    Man, i see all the posts about the launch day PREs. I wish I had gotten into the game with one of these battle proven launch day PREs!

I envy you guys!
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Launch Pre here, mostly charge TS but for data and when don't have my touchstone, my usb door fell off but I like it better without the door now...
    Lucky you! My Sprint store said the USB door crack is not a known issue, only the one from the center button. It started tiny on the bottom corner of the opening, but it's about a quarter of an inch into my screen now. He said I caused it by plugging the phone in. I argued with him, but he said just because other people on the Internet have the same problem, it doesn't prove anything. Handed me a card to make an insurance claim.

My proximity sensor is also broken, but they wouldn't cover that either because I have a crack near the power button from dropping it about two weeks after I got in way back in June. The sensor didn't stop working until months after that, but of course I couldn't prove that and they can't give me the benefit of the doubt. They said any physical damage voids the warranty and I was out of luck.

Whatever. It's ugly, but I can live with it. I'm not paying a hundred bucks as long as it's still (mostly) working. If the crack starts interfering with the operation of the touchscreen, then I'll suck it up and file a claim. For now I'll just wait and see if a better webOS phone comes to Sprint.
    I have a launch day Pre, and mine has a crap by the USB Door. It's more from the thin plastic that has the port, that when you have it pressed, such as in your pocket, it'll eventually crack and the crack will travel onto the front of the screen. Mine hasn't traveled yet, so I don't mind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Mine was also launch day and I used the touchstone exclusively to charge it, and it was replaced for a USB crack two weeks ago.
    this is my 3rd pre and i just noticed that i have a crack by the usb door as well. i used to wonder how this happened to other people. but now i have i too. definitely going to get a replacement before it gets worse.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    i too, have my first Pre still- it does have the usb crack though and i have been afraid of trying to exchange it. my wife is on her fourth Pre, and it seems like there has been issues with each except for this one. we both still love the Pre. don't think i will do anything about it just yet.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Mine was also launch day and I used the touchstone exclusively to charge it, and it was replaced for a USB crack two weeks ago.
    Launch day Pre here as well. I've had the USB crack on mine for about a month now. I went to my local Sprint store today and they said they are not allowed to cover it under warranty, but they do cover cracks from the center button. I'm not too worried about it though because I have Best Buy's protection plan, so they will take care of it for free. The only problem is they send it out for repair/replacement and they said it will probably be 30 days before I get it back.

BTW...this problem has nothing to do with using the USB port for charging/data, it's just a poor design by Palm. The placement of the USB port creates a weak spot. The curved slider puts stress right on this weak spot anytime there is even a small amount of pressure pushing the two halves of the phone together. Eventually it cracks at the weakest point, which just happens to be the place there is also the most stress. IMO it was just plain stupid for Palm to put the USB port there. It should be on the bottom just like it is on pretty much all other phones.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    How far must the crack be in order to get exchange? Mine is from usb and stops at the curb basically before it gets to screen is that good enough? also I know it depends on store to store but how does the crack affect anything mine I just have a small issue plugging into usb but that's it

Motorola KRZR > Palm Centro > Samsung Instinct > Palm Pre
    I tried taking a picture of mine before I returned it, but the picture wouldn't come out right.

Mine, when replaced, started at the bottom of the USB port and extended into the touchscreen viewing area. Probably a good 5/16" from the edge. The crack was so bad, the USB door wouldn't stay attached to the phone by the little plastic tether.
    I just noticed that mine is cracked today...and I've been using a touchstone from day one.
    I'm on my third Pre in eight months. First one just quit ringing after about two weeks. Sprint replaced it because it was within 30 days.

The next one cracked at the USB hub just like everyone else's. Sprint tells me that it's structural damage and not their problem, even though it's obviously a known issue. Palm says they don't replace/repair structural damage. So, I pay the $100 insurance deductible with Sprint to get a refurb. Guess what? After a month, the screen is cracked in exactly the same place.

I love this phone. But I'm done. I can't believe that neither Palm nor Sprint will accept responsibility for this issue. This is NOT users being rough on their phones. I treat mine like an egg. As soon as the EVO 4g comes out, we're done with Palm forever -- personally and for business.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywaller View Post
    Well,
    I uneventfully went to the Sprint repair center this morning and showed the friendly guy my USB cracked Pre. Explained the widespread phenomenon and no questions asked he filled out the replacement order form. Should have it by Tuesday.

This will be my third Pre. Hoping to have the best luck with this one. Love my webOS but this Pre thing is challenging!
    So glad this worked out. Is the replacement through the insurance option, or is it coming from Sprint because they care about happy customers? The difference would be if you have to pay the $50 deductible... Did this cost you anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by rknap14 View Post
    I'm on my third Pre in eight months. First one just quit ringing after about two weeks. Sprint replaced it because it was within 30 days.

The next one cracked at the USB hub just like everyone else's. Sprint tells me that it's structural damage and not their problem, even though it's obviously a known issue. Palm says they don't replace/repair structural damage. So, I pay the $100 insurance deductible with Sprint to get a refurb. Guess what? After a month, the screen is cracked in exactly the same place.

I love this phone. But I'm done. I can't believe that neither Palm nor Sprint will accept responsibility for this issue. This is NOT users being rough on their phones. I treat mine like an egg. As soon as the EVO 4g comes out, we're done with Palm forever -- personally and for business.
    Sorry to hear that. I haven't had any cracks, and I haven't been overly gentle. Are you keeping the little usb cover completely out of the way? I always wondered if it could create stress if it gets pinched between the USB cable and the port on the phone. I'm not blaming you, just wondering if that is the side of the port where the crack is.

Also, the $40 for a touchstone would be cheaper than paying another deductable. I carry my touchstone(s) with me, and have them all over the house/car. I'd hate to see you move to another phone that doesn't have a community as supportive and creative as webOS does!
    I had to replace my launch day Pre last week for the USB crack. It was easy, Sprint ordered a replacement and it was there the next day. I was kind of disappointed that the replacement has a build day of August 2009, but so far, it seems pretty good.
    I had my first issue with the USB crack a couple weeks ago. It started off small on the side, and since i had a PhantomSkinz protector on it, it didn't bother me. But the heat from charging on the Touchstone caused the crack to start moving up and across the screen itself.

I took it into the local Sprint repair center and was given the run-around. Even before they looked at it, they told me to go through Asurion. I wasn't about to pay $100 for a phone under manufacturer's warranty. The Sprint tech looked at it for about 10 seconds and said they wouldn't cover it as it wasn't a 'known issue' and told me to call Palm and see if they would replace it. So.. I called Palm and told them the story. The Palm rep said that it was definitely still under the original manufacturer warranty and gave me a Reference # to give to the Sprint tech... and to have him call in with that # (probably simply wanted the tech to look at it and verify there were no footprints on it or physical abuse so they could send me a replacement).
    I took it back to Sprint and gave them the reference # and explained what Palm said. The tech refused to call Palm and said that even if Palm gave an OK to swap the unit, they couldn't because they had "no-where in their system to log that validation number" and they would get billed by Palm.

Long story a little shorter.... I called the local store manager and explained how upset I was with their customer service and lack of even following Palm's directions to call them. He instantly told me to come in and they would swap the phone in the store. It took me 3 trips and 2 calls to get the new unit, but I got one. It really torked me at how quickly the only answer to anything Palm is to refer the issue to Asurion - even if it's under manufacturer warranty (no matter the issue). I know there are stores out there with good customer service, but not around here.

Congrats OP for getting a replacement device!
    I received my replacement like 4 days ago for the same problem usb crack going to the screen and also the usb cap fall out... They first was like I thrown my phone , and I was like I never dropped my phone I promise!!!... And then he was like ok ok I'm going to believe you.
    Once you notice the usb crack is there any way to stop it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast