Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I walked into the Verizon store at my local mall. There was a large digital sign that was advertising the Palm Pre+. I was curious to feel the difference of the devise without the button. The manager came over to me to ask what I was looking for. I thought I would play dumb and just say a smart phone. As you already guest she pointed me straight to the Droid. I ask if she had the Pre Plus which was advertised right outside. She said "the PaLm pre is a cute phone but not a smart phone" I asked what was it then? "Its like a window mobile phone that you can view and edit documents, that's about it" Please note this is the manager of the store talking!

I asked to see the Palm Pre plus and she said they did not carry them. She continued to explain that her store was not going to order any. The store wants to sit back and see how they sell first. She also said all she heard was bad things about the phone. She told me people where saying it was too small and it didn't have enough apps. I told her I just wanted to look at it and maybe switch my contract over to bye the phone.

I asked if I could be directed to another store that carries the phone. She didn't know of any but insisted I try the Droid. I told her I will take my business elsewhere.

the reason the Pre Plus is not selling well on V is becoming painfully obvious. Stores can't sell Pre's if their managers are going to push the Droid. This is not a knock on Droid but now i am beginning to see why sales are dismal for the Pre Plus on V.

palm needs to be a little more particular when selling their devices to carriers. Yes, Verizon has a large customer base but foul words or incorrect information regarding the pre+ hurts Palm. Also allowing me to leave here store without directing to the web, ordering it for me or letting me know where i can get it is pretty surprising. Training on the phone would help too as this manager thought it was a cute windows mobile based phone for spreadsheets. (we do need Docs to Go)

I would rater see Palm not expand to carriers that don't want to invest any time for training or simple facts about the devise. This just makes things worse for Palm.

Over.
    That's sad. I think I would talk to the district office, but probably wouldn't make any difference.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    vzw probably makes more $$ off droid sales, as that is their unique device and the pre + probably has smaller profit margin. I agree these vzw people have no clue how awesome webos is, or all the things the pre plus can do. If for not other reason, they should push pre plus & talk people into signing up for mobile hotspot, they'd make a killing off that, as I am sure it is under-used! (I'm not saying everyone needs that function, I just thing it's a service someone might pay for and not use, thereby the carrier pockets some serious extra cash)
    How about posting the exact location of the store and the store manager's name... that should smoke 'em out.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    How about posting the exact location of the store and the store manager's name... that should smoke 'em out.
    Agreed. I'll call them myself and give em hell!
  6.    #6  
    Funny you mention that. I asked about the Hot Spot option on the Pre Plus and she was informing me the Droid will have the option after the 6.1 update.

Whether you like the Droid or not Verizon still offers alternatives. To bash a phone that actually is sold on your own carrier offends me. She knew i wasn't interest in the Droid but gave me zero alternatives s there are about 30 phones behind her. Ijust find that senseless.
  7.    #7  
    Verizon Wireless
    (678) 366-6017
    1000 North Point Circle
    Alpharetta, GA 30022-4853

let them have it
    shrug

this is OFN. Palm and Verizon both have acknowledged the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Verizon Wireless

1000 North Point Circle
    Alpharetta, GA 30022-4853

let them have it
    Oh, that's about an hour away from where I live lol. I might have to stop by there sometime.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    shrug

this is OFN. Palm and Verizon both have acknowledged the problem.
    I went into the Verizon store just this week after the problem was acknowledged. I guess it takes time to learn the incredible confusing or cumbersome process of using webOS.
    I would rater see Palm not expand to carriers that don't want to invest any time for training or simple facts about the devise. This just makes things worse for Palm.
    I would rather see Palm learn how to launch a device on a new carrier. Don't blame Verizon for Palm's incompetence. By Rubenstein's own admission, Palm dropped the ball on this one and is scrambling to make it right: Palm CEO's Letter to Employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I would rather see Palm learn how to launch a device on a new carrier. Don't blame Verizon for Palm's incompetence. By Rubenstein's own admission, Palm dropped the ball on this one and is scrambling to make it right: Palm CEO's Letter to Employees.
    I think that it is fair to place significant blame on verizon, this is not palms fault alone (unless you consider going with sprint for launch, instead of verizon the problem, in which case i agree whole heartedly)

I agree, palm could have executed the launch better and are partly at fault, but, by verizons admission (visa vi leaked internal memo from palm) they are also to blame

from the article you linked to
    "Dave Whalen and I just returned from a very successful meeting with Verizon Wireless, where they acknowledged that their execution of our launch was below expectations and recommitted to working with us to improve sales."

the anecdotal evidence the op provides, falls inline with what others have stated, and could be in keeping with the above statement.

if VZW sales reps are deficient and wholly incorrect about the products they offer for sale, as they are about the "smartphone" and winmo aspects of the Pre in this story, they are not doing their job, they should at least know what the phones are that they advertise,

for petes sake, it says the pre is a smartphone on the website, how is palm to blame for a salesmen not knowing the first thing about a phone they advertise.

also, to the OP, did you ask WHY they would advertise a phone they don't have. that part of the story seems strange to me.
    There are four lights.
    When the Pre was released on the Sprint network last June, all that Verizon had for a smartphone with a touch screen was the pitiful Blackberry Storm. The reason why many people including myself left Verizon and went to Sprint was because we wanted a real smartphone. Verizon aquired the Palm Pre Plus not to sell to prospective new customers, no way, they brought in the Pre with supposedly better hardware and more ram to lure back their lost customer base from Sprint. Every time I turn on the TV now there is a Droid commercial while the Palm Pre commercials are few and far between. This is also painfully evident when ever anyone enters a Verizon store to look/purchase a Palm Pre. Verizon has invested over 100 million dollars in their Droid and they want a return on the large sum of cash that they have invested in this product.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Verizon has to be really focused on competing with the iPhone. It seems that their strategy is to put all their wood behind the Droid arrow head. I would imagine the Droid is simply an easier sell -- it has all the specs, applications, etc. Who cares that Android does have have have the polish and elegance of WebOS.

Verizon doesn't want to cloud the waters at this time with yet another smart phone. The WebOS phones are going to have to sell on Verizon by word of mouth from people like us. I just wish they would take orders rather than redirect customers to Droid. That is tough to deal with.
    So I walked into the Verizon store at my local mall. There was a large digital sign that was advertising the Palm Pre+. I was curious to feel the difference of the devise without the button. The manager came over to me to ask what I was looking for. I thought I would play dumb and just say a smart phone. As you already guest she pointed me straight to the Droid. I ask if she had the Pre Plus which was advertised right outside. She said "the PaLm pre is a cute phone but not a smart phone" I asked what was it then? "Its like a window mobile phone that you can view and edit documents, that's about it" Please note this is the manager of the store talking!

I asked to see the Palm Pre plus and she said they did not carry them. She continued to explain that her store was not going to order any. The store wants to sit back and see how they sell first. She also said all she heard was bad things about the phone. She told me people where saying it was too small and it didn't have enough apps. I told her I just wanted to look at it and maybe switch my contract over to bye the phone.

I asked if I could be directed to another store that carries the phone. She didn't know of any but insisted I try the Droid. I told her I will take my business elsewhere.

the reason the Pre Plus is not selling well on V is becoming painfully obvious. Stores can't sell Pre's if their managers are going to push the Droid. This is not a knock on Droid but now i am beginning to see why sales are dismal for the Pre Plus on V.

palm needs to be a little more particular when selling their devices to carriers. Yes, Verizon has a large customer base but foul words or incorrect information regarding the pre+ hurts Palm. Also allowing me to leave here store without directing to the web, ordering it for me or letting me know where i can get it is pretty surprising. Training on the phone would help too as this manager thought it was a cute windows mobile based phone for spreadsheets. (we do need Docs to Go)

Over.

Sounds about right.

Truthfully, it's my whole hearted belief that Android is selling only because Google's name is attached to it.

I've tried it on several different phones, I'm not impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When the Pre was released on the Sprint network last June, all that Verizon had for a smartphone with a touch screen was the pitiful Blackberry Storm. The reason why many people including myself left Verizon and went to Sprint was because we wanted a real smartphone. Verizon aquired the Palm Pre Plus not to sell to prospective new customers, no way, they brought in the Pre with supposedly better hardware and more ram to lure back their lost customer base from Sprint. Every time I turn on the TV now there is a Droid commercial while the Palm Pre commercials are few and far between. This is also painfully evident when ever anyone enters a Verizon store to look/purchase a Palm Pre. Verizon has invested over 100 million dollars in their Droid and they want a return on the large sum of cash that they have invested in this product.
    That's true! but at the same time why even bother to carry the Pre and the Pixi?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When the Pre was released on the Sprint network last June, all that Verizon had for a smartphone with a touch screen was the pitiful Blackberry Storm. The reason why many people including myself left Verizon and went to Sprint was because we wanted a real smartphone. Verizon aquired the Palm Pre Plus not to sell to prospective new customers, no way, they brought in the Pre with supposedly better hardware and more ram to lure back their lost customer base from Sprint.
    I agree.

I have no respect for Verizon.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Verizon has to be really focused on competing with the iPhone.

Verizon doesn't want to cloud the waters at this time with yet another smart phone. The WebOS phones are going to have to sell on Verizon by word of mouth from people like us. I just wish they would take orders rather than redirect customers to Droid. That is tough to deal with.
    Ironically, they'd have a better time competing against AT&T if they educated their stores about the Pre, so they had *two* weapons to use against the iPhone.

You would think that Verizon makes their money on the service, not the hardware, but maybe that's not the case for the local manager.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    While traveling on I-95 outside of Philly this week I noticed both DRoid and Palm Pre billboards. The Droid billboards were much more bold, in black and red, with a simple message that was easy to read. The Palm billboards were in shades of brown, were smaller, and I am not sure what they said.
  20.    #20  
    the phone was advertised outside the store on a digital add in the mall.

The reason this store did not have pre's is because they "heard" it was a bad phone. This is a retail store (not kiosk) so I don't know if they have to abide by the same rules and standards as a corporate store would.

The statement that surprised me was that they wouldn't even be ordering them to bad feed back. Every phone has it drawbacks but that doesn't stop Verizon and other carrier from selling junk devises. The manager also mentioned that she would sit back and see how they sell before making a decision for her store to carry them. i can understand having a large order of phones to sell and not being sure if you can. My question is that she did not feel the need to offer me other phones other than the Droid or point me in the right direction of another Verizon store.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast