webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Swype on webos?
Swype on webos?

Old 03/09/2010, 07:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarleslt View Post
wrong, it's for anything written in c/c++, which means nearly all iphone apps, so not just games.

lol burn
donb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2010, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

Lol this whole thread!
way2muchkc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 04:34 PM   #23 (permalink)

I just want swype... Maybe if palm developed native osk would be less buggy therefore worth enabling swype... I can already tell swype is the best thing since T9..
Fitz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 04:40 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
Wrong, it's for anything written in C/C++, which means nearly all iPhone apps, so not just games.
yup. Android is java. The pdk leans more towards iphone apps.
blatherdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 05:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

in order for swype to work I think the OS (webOS) needs to support on screen keyboards. And I don't think that webOS does
jabrilly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 05:18 PM   #26 (permalink)

But there is an on screen keyboard that works!
sweaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 05:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
But there is an on screen keyboard that works!
that is true, but it needs to support it natively, not through preware,or sideloaded
jabrilly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/28/2010, 05:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjabril11 View Post
in order for swype to work I think the OS (webOS) needs to support on screen keyboards. And I don't think that webOS does
It actually does, have you not see the WebOS-Internals Virtual keyboard? On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals
http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ancements.html

This patch modifies the WebOS framework to create the availability of an onscreen keyboard using already built-in functions of the OS. It's not exactly the smoothest experience on the Pre, but with some modifications like the 800Mhz patch it actually works quite smoothly. Also certain keys don't function in certain apps like backspace doesn't seem to function inside fields in the web browser.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2010, 06:08 PM   #29 (permalink)

I just saw a demo of swype and it was pretty amazing. Has it been run on linux, or andriod yet? if so, porting could be easy
imop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2010, 06:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

email swype at info@swypeinc.com to request it for webos. Its in beta for andriod currently
imop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2010, 06:26 PM   #31 (permalink)

I just sent an email from my pre!!
Fitz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/20/2013, 02:24 PM   #32 (permalink)

it is possible to swipe out two letters at a time using the vkb; the key you tap first and the key where you release are both entered into the text.

unfortunately, you have to be quite precise; at least on the pre plus, the vkb is just not efficient enough at displaying entered text or at enlarging the characters for these functions to be usable. you just kind of have to have a feel for where each character is and be happy to go back and edit any mistakes you may have made.

fortunately, insofaras my own use, i've found that this sort of double-key swiping actually produces fewer typos as compared with tapping the screen.
zer0nix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no skype for webos yet

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0