Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ego2001 View Post
    As far as my experience, 99% of the apps for iPhone are stupid. I don't even care about them. The remaining 1% contains ones that are either already implemented, are on schedule to come out, or, not ready yet. I can wait.
    By your calculation, over 1,000 iPhone apps are quality. Sorry, but WebOS is nowhere close to 100 "quality" apps yet.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
    Mmm........well, if you take a look at Apple compared to Palm, how many fart apps are in each store? That should be telling you something........the number means nothing if the majority of those are painfully useless. What I've seen of the Palm app catalog so far is the majority are well done, useful for a good chunk of people, and it IS only nine months old. I've also noticed that the majority of the apps that are there are launch day or near to it, and updated. Dig back through Apple's store, how many still exist after three years? Two years? Heck, download a new iPhone app, is it there next week?

Not saying Palm's store is perfect, it isn't. I'm a cyclist, I wouldn't mind a GPS app for more intensive tracking than my old Cateye Enduro 2 can do, and there is one.......just not quite what I have in mind. But I have seen stuff come out lately that was pretty much mindblowing........ok, so maybe for you, Earthworm Jim isn't exactly WOW, but for me.........man, I absolutely loved that game, to be able to play it again just plain rocks.

It'll get there. People just have to bear a timeframe in mind. Comparing the hardware and built-in features that the phones come with is fine, somewhat, as long as the buyer remembers that the iPhone has drastically changed three times in three years. The Pre is still first generation. We're getting more support in the app catalog, increasingly so, but you can't really compare an app store for a completely new OS on a brand new product to an app store that's got a two year headstart on a basically dumbed down 10 year old OS core.
    This app hysteria was created by Apple/iphone by brainwashing people with a never ending barage of TV commercials. Now people feel that they can't live without them. So it would definitely help Palm out if the can import iphone apps into their OS.
    That too. WinMo users have always been able to use PPC apps, within reason, you can't use really old stuff on 6.1 Pro, but nobody really advertises that you can do it in the first place. MS expectations, there, I guess. Put Windows on it, people expect to be able to do stuff with it. Apple had the same headstart, phone from a computer company, figure you'll be able to run apps on it. I figured that from the first news leaks.
    I have had a chance to look over some of the apps, patches and themes. I don't think it's a matter of not having enough apps, quality or not. As some others have stated, its about bringing in new customers, and apps have a little bit to do with it, but I feel there needs to be more publicity. T-Mobile has their new Fender edition phone, and that looks really cool. I saw that on a commercial and thought it would be cool to get that. I have yet to see a commercial from either Sprint or Verizon regarding any of the Palm products.

I was in the market for a new phone as my old one was getting near the end of its life (literally starting to fall apart). Talked with some friends and some family, found the best deal (for me, it was Sprint), then started looking at phones. I did a lot of comparing and found the phone I want.

I'm expected to have my Pre, and my wife's Pixi delivered on Monday.
    Welcome to the club! Play around with it first, give it a month. If I had to say one more thing about all this, it's not really in Apple's favor. People go in expecting to have to download tons of apps to get the phone to do what they want out of the box, and with the iPhone, they're mostly right. Even my WinMo phone needed stuff right off the bat. WebOS comes with decent stuff right out of the box, I haven't found much yet that I'm seeing would be far and away better. I have installed a few things, a few patches that added some little functionality I'm used to from other smartphones, but that's saying quite a bit about the Pre. It works great from first power up.

The obvious there, too. If you happen to have a picky store, take your in-warranty phone in for a problem of some sort, and they see Preware on there, or the Dev Mode icon I have for easy switching, you could have a hassle. My store doesn't care, but quite a few are to-the-letter shops.
    analysis paralysis.
    Don't kid yourself, it is not the apps, it is the marketing.

They could make people buy a crappy phone if it was marketed correctly. I remember my parents wanting Microsoft's Windows 95 because it was marketed so well, and they didn't even have a computer.

When I show my phone to friends they are shocked at how it operates and what it can do. That should not be the case. My friends should be saying, "oh yeah, that is the stuff on those commercials for Palm Pre."
    It's threefold: Marketing, hardware, and apps (in order of importance).

Abysmal marketing squandered every bit of buzz from the last two CES conventions. Whatever Palm's next device is, this is mae or break.

The Pre and Pixi hardware has launched on the first and third place carriers, and it has underwhelmed on both. These need to be relegated to the low end ASAP where they can quietly EOL, and hardware that can compete with the Nexus One and next iPhone has to hit this year.

Palm needs to scoop up name brand apps and launch several with the new hardware, which should also have a compass and voice recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by litt View Post
    I'm not a Troll. I have had my Pre since July and I think it is a beautiful device and my wife has a Pixie and has never been happier with a phone. But if Palm is going to get out of this hole that they are stuck in they are going to need to get a strong set of apps made for these WebOS devices.

The PDK coming out next week seems to me to be their final step to making WebOS devices a strong player in the market. Clearly their plan for this first year has been to make the Pre the "iPhone of the other carriers." Lets look at the facts of how Palm has positioned it's products since launch:

1. They want to address the major issue people have with Apple/iPhone. The closed eco system. WebOS is way more open.

2. iTunes sync. Though it didn't last, it was clearly part of the plan to make the Pre the media/phone device that isn't on AT&T.

3. The Touchstone. Is there anything more Apple like in the mobile phone world that isn't made by Apple? I'm really surprised Apple didn't come out with something like this years ago. There is nothing better then being able to come home and plop my phone on my charger without having to deal with cables.

4. The PDK. Taking Apples strongest asset (it's apps) and moving them to WebOS. Look, the iPhone would be nothing without it's apps.

The genius part about the PDK is that there is nothing that Apple can do about preventing developers from porting their apps to Palm devices, unless they start kicking them out of the iPhone App Store. Palm is safe from Apple's litigious shenanigans. The big question is will developers use the PDK?

If the PDK does start a strong migration of developers co-developing for iPhone and WebOS then I think Palm can overtake Android and possibly Blackberry. Plus with a the potential hardware refresh coming this summer they could have 3 really strong device levels that appeal to a large audience (Pre for those that want a keyboard, Pixie for more basic users, and C40 possibly a larger slate style phone or side slider).

I hope that Palm can make this PDK work. The thought of giving up my Pre and my touchstone make me shutter . . . but if the apps don't start rolling in by this summer I suspect that my eyes will start to wander. Android?

Just my 2 cents.
    It isn't just Apps, although Apps will help gain ground.

It's also the two companies they're competing with.

Google could go to the bathroom on most people's plates and they would eat it, the same is true with Apple.

Apple also has the advantage over everyone else in this field. Why?
    Because they are number 1 and they were the first.
    Being the standard makes you harder to dethrone.

I.e. the iPod.
    Itunes is terrrrrrrrible and there are MUCH better mp3 players out there. Yet, what are you listening to your music on? An "ipod" even if it's not an Apple ipod!
    The name is synonymous with mp3 players now.

Very hard to compete.
    a BIG factor in my opinion would have to be advertising! If palm would just make a commercial showing the things that would appeal to the younger crowd like touchstone charging(outsiders know nothing about this). Maybe a detailed look at how multi-tasking really works, and a few 3d games. It's simple.
    advertising has to be the #1 failure.

after that, it's the UI. wait, did I just say that? I love it. the whole cards notion is amazing. and a great way to deal w/ multiple apps. But have you ever used an iphone? or ipod touch? stuff responds instantly. scrolling through my music of only maybe 15 albums does not make the phone stutter. I don't have to try 3x to enter in my PIN to unlock. I don't feel like I'm waiting. And being able to have multiple apps open isn't a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

With that said, I think they can improve it. But I don't know if they'll do it in time. Or if they are just banking on newer hardware to speed it up. In which, we can all start looking for new phones now.

apps falls 3rd. My friend caved and got an iphone because of XM. and some casual gaming on the fly. Netflix is polling it's customers for an iphone app. and rumors of hulu building an app for the ipad(which could mean the potential for the iphone). These little extras are what make some differentiating things that will push the phone a customer will buy. And Android has finally picked up.

Yes, android has a year on webOS, iphone has 3. but that's not the point. If palm can't get people to buy the next iteration of phones, they won't have a chance.

I was just playing with an ipod touch again, gmail looks great on it w/ the floating archive/delete thing. I'm sure android's is good too or even better (as it shoudl probably be). Gmail still doesn't always fully draw for me at random times on WebOS.

I love the phone. I love the form factor, which was a huge selling point for me to be honest. I love webOS. I hate the waiting. I hate the quirks. I don't feel the app love (anyone want to make a GPS logger? or is it not possible?). The speed and quirks need to be Palm's #1 priority, and it just doesn't feel that way. They are too focused on apps. It's a chicken and egg problem, and I really hope they can speed up development. Without screwing 1st gen folks over too much.
    Why then is Palm trying to get those same iPhone developers to port their apps to its Web OS devices? Is there some special Palm Cool Aid that will make the developers stop with the stupid apps or make those same apps suddenly better under Web OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    That's the thing though, the webOS apps lack both. (quality and quantity)
    He said it best. If the PDK allows us (the developers) to make true native apps (and by native I don't mean HTML/JScript/CSS based) then Palm is definitely heading into the right direction. If the PDK allows many iPhone developers the option of easily porting over their apps with just minor API changes, then that my friends is HUGE.

If a developer (especially lone developers) can port their app(s) to other devices with practically no overhead then that is major win.

And just an FYI... advertising isn't going to be the savior of Palm, it's going to be word of mouth. Truth of the matter is many people aren't boasting about WebOS at the moment.
    Apps ARE the only reason to own a smartphone....that's what they are made for, running apps to give more functionality to the hardware. If you don't care about the apps then the bundled PIM systems on most regular phones will be fine.

Within the smartphone market the only real differentiator between models is access to apps. Sure, as others have pointed out, a lot of apps on all platforms are garbage...and the Pre is no exception. Currently Palm has not facilitated access to apps in Canada, and has only just recently allowed a limited number of paid apps overseas. If you don't show developers that there is a sufficiently large market for their apps then they won't bother to build on that platform.

The lack of market penetration due to the rather feeble app catalogue, coupled with perceptions of poor hardware quality have not done Palm any good. Unless Palm steps up to the plate to get the service providers on their side, start delivering updates and paid app catalogue services on an equal worldwide footing, then I don't expect Palm to survive much beyond six months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    and has only just recently allowed a limited number of paid apps overseas.
    the number is 0, Zero, Zilch, Nil, Null

3 EA Games for free, thats it
    Palm also lacks here in Europe and most of the apps are US focused. Further, homebrew is not for ordinary people.

I'm really thinking about choosing a different phone, as some things I need are still not available, which Apple has without asking (Vitural Keyboard with different languages and good apps, eg. SlovoEd is not available). The switch to 1.4 was a mess and took me about 12 hours work.

People here are really nice and supportive, but I cannot imagine my wife or some collegues being able to take the extra effort while iphone seems to be very easy for them.

In Switzerland more than 1.5 million iphones were solde with a population of less than 8 million. Pre is not sold here except by one vendor who imports them from Germany. And this company is just an electronic store which doesn't have any preference to push Palm. I know many who had Palms before as it was a great business phone. Nowadays it lacks the main functionalities...IMO it's not just apps and still a long way
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmonday73 View Post
    Palm also lacks here in Europe and most of the apps are US focused. Further, homebrew is not for ordinary people.

I'm really thinking about choosing a different phone, as some things I need are still not available, which Apple has without asking (Vitural Keyboard with different languages and good apps, eg. SlovoEd is not available). The switch to 1.4 was a mess and took me about 12 hours work.

People here are really nice and supportive, but I cannot imagine my wife or some collegues being able to take the extra effort while iphone seems to be very easy for them.

In Switzerland more than 1.5 million iphones were solde with a population of less than 8 million. Pre is not sold here except by one vendor who imports them from Germany. And this company is just an electronic store which doesn't have any preference to push Palm. I know many who had Palms before as it was a great business phone. Nowadays it lacks the main functionalities...IMO it's not just apps and still a long way

I have never seen a single person with a Pre in the UK - and I research mobility!
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    By your calculation, over 1,000 iPhone apps are quality. Sorry, but WebOS is nowhere close to 100 "quality" apps yet.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
    I think people get a bit hung-up on personal preference - if 100,000 kids download and pay for a fart app and they enjoy it, then that is the sign of a successful ecology. If an individual user wants the app or not is irrelevant.
    As long as the phone itself is not supporting all functionalities common people expect from a phone, it is just not good. lots of people want to be able to transfer files via bluetooth, as long as they cant, even if they considered buying a pre, they wont
    Last edited by squ33d; 03/07/2010 at 07:48 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast