Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @Rishio,
    Whats with this missing podcasts and audiobooks? cant you use drpodder for all your podcasts?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre and it was my first smartphone. I was so impressed with it since I could finally have everything in one device. Music, podcasts, internet radio, email, web browsing, etc. The physical keyboard was very key to me. Sprint navigation has been amazingly useful and there isn't an equivalent on the iphone that I know of.

Pre is still missing a few things like Flash, iheartradio, and the facebook app is still missing notifications. The too many cards error is getting old, but that is a 3rd party app issue from what I have heard. It's a bit better on 1.4, but still an issue.

My gf has an iphone and she's had all sorts of issues with it. Dropped calls, missing calls, severely delayed or missed texts, she has dealt with all those issues. She finally took it to the Apple store and they said it was an ATT issue. Their 3G network is overburdened in Rochester MN. The solution was to turn off 3G on the phone and download an app for reporting missed calls and texts to ATT. It's been working better so far, but it's an unacceptable solution IMO. What's the point of owning an iphone if you can't use 3G?

Aren't calls and texts the most important features of a phone? What's the point if those don't work?

I'm trying to get her to switch to Sprint, but she doesn't like the Pre because you have to slide out the keyboard. She likes the Pixi, but that's missing wifi. A pixi would probably be fine for her, but I have a tough time recommending it (being a tech guy) since it doesn't have wifi.

Any Pixi users out there with suggestions?
    well wifi is hardly a necessity for most just a useful bonus especially if shes been unable to even use 3g
    Quote Originally Posted by ednote View Post
    I'm happy with my pre; and i've never used an Iphone. i have, however used practically all kind of smartphones leading up to the pre. A friend of mine is a huge apple supporter, and he described his iphone experience the following way: He stated that every phone he owned would quickly loose it's "charm" and he was looking for the next phone after a couple of weeks or months... like after the "honeymoon stage" ... except with his iphone. He LOVES his iphone, and is not thinking of upgrading or changing it for anything even after 3 years.

Now, like I said, i DO like my pre; but i felt the same way he did about my other phones and i do feel the same way about my pre, it kinda lost it's magic (the lag is responsible for it i would say), i'm already drooling about a windows phone 7 series.

the phone just takes too long to do the main thing a phone is supposed to do... make calls!!.

I do read this forum religiously, and i anxiously await for updates, and enjoy the new features introduced in them. I also must give credit where credit is due, and the new facebook app, is extremely well made. that made me happy. If they could integrate it to webos all the way (with notifications, etc...) and speed up the actual core of the OS, i would feel like in my second honeymoon.
    This post makes me laugh. If you want a phone to lag then go get a windows phone. Those are the worst!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xx Spaced xX View Post
    Apple = evil
    This is the same stuff as the whole "microsoft is the evil empire" thing. Just because a company is overwhelmingly successful is no reason to take issue with them

ill bet if palm grew to the size of apple with the same successs ( they won't though) you'd be saying PALM = EVIL.

Apple makes great phones, and they market the heck out of them. They charge a bit much but you better believe if palm found they could get away with overcharging THEY WOULD TOO.

Business is business. Some (apple) are good at it. Others (Palm) simply suck at it.

That's about the long and the short of it. Period.
    Meh..........Apple is far from the largest, you just can't avoid them, is all. Like you said, tons of marketing. Really, their business is quite small, they lost a good core of their computer business by having to switch to historically PC hardware and haven't made that ground up..........about the only thing holding them up is the iPod/iPhone/iPod Touch. Current OS market share is around 8% for all products, including the iPhone.

I'd make fun of Apple *******, but hey.........we're here, aren't we? *grin*
    I didn't go from iPhone to Pre, but there is something to be said of how fluid iPhone OS is. Yes, there's no multitasking, but even a 1st gen ipod touch is silky smooth.

the music app is a great example. if nothing has been opened for a while, and everything closed, the music app is fairly quick. not all that much slower than say a 1st gen ipod touch I have. throw in messaging and email? or a web page? the music app might take a while to pull up the embedded album art. Or struggles to get to the bottom of your list. and then there's the fact it slows the whole OS down quite a bit (dunno if this is ram related, but on that note, it sucks up system ram too).

Android 2 is the closest thing that I've seen that is as smooth and good looking. but Androids default music player is not all that great (dunno how the app world is, if there's a better one).

And just now, I really would like to stream video to my Pre. Copying to it takes 2-3MB/s, painfully slow. Not to mention having to encode for it. The iPhone? Air Video. 5 minutes, and perfect on the fly transcoded video. looks pretty good.

You have to give credit to Apple for making a very functional run at the smartphone. 3yrs+ in, and people are still playing catch up (in terms of performance/optimization).

With all that said, you'd think I'd have an iPhone. #1, I wasn't going to AT&T. I wanted to reduce my costs, and I was heading for Sprint regardless of what phones were offered. #2, the WebOS UI/demos looked very inviting, very innovative.

What does the Pre offer? Size is one thing. The only other touchscreen phone I felt comfortable with was the Eris (yes, specifically verizon's Hero). The iPhone feels far too awkward. The Nexus One/Droid even more so. I actually *like* the smaller screen size. A hair larger would be fine too, but they aced it here.

The other huge thing I took for granted? I have 1 google app account (business) 1 personal gmail account, 1 exchange account (work). I don't think any other OS out there lets me tie all the contacts, calendars, and email together, while keeping them separate still. iPhone sure doesn't, it has one exchange conduit, and gmail syncs via that. Android doesn't, I believe it only ties one google calendar in (though, you could give permission for one account to edit the other I suppose). Not sure how android handles all the contacts either.

To me, these are big things. I'm hopeful the lagginess of the phone goes away when we reach webOS 2.0 (i've given up on 1.x). I'm worried they will rely on faster hardware though, leaving the early adopters a bit out there. But we'll see.

In the mean time, I might carry my ipod touch around more. And not only because it is better at media... but quite frankly, until battery life improves across EVERY device, my dream of an all in one phone will not come to fruition.... what use is a phone if I'm tied down to POWER needs. I want to see 36hrs of normal to medium use. I will be dreaming for a while.

oh, there is one thing I forgot, google web stuff is so much better on the iphone =( It's starting to become an issue for me. For instance, I can't seem to archive easily. Moving to the all mail folder doesn't actually do anything when I go back to the web interface. and I can actually edit google doc docs
    Last edited by linh.nguyen; 03/07/2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I don't understand those posts. You always ask other people what you have to do in life? Is a phone that used to cost $200, not a $70,000 car. Who cares what others think, if you don't like that phone, change it. My advice for you is: switch to baby blue boxers, women like them a lot.
    ignorant post from an ignorant poster
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    i don't regret it at all. even in its infancy, i think the pre and webos were a superior platform from an interactivity standpoint as well as flow and polish. webos is just awesome.

re: the iphone on sprint...diversifying their carrier partnerships would just help to add more whiners to other carrier forums instead of confining the iphone/at&t whining to at&t forums...lol
    Last edited by m0unds; 03/07/2010 at 11:47 PM.
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    ignorant post from an ignorant poster
    Actually, I agree with him.
    Why do people come here asking what they should do, get iphone or stick with Pre?

It's a Pre forum, stupid question and one that can be decided on by yourself.
    My dad has been using an Ipod Touch. I kept telling him how cool multi-tasking is on the Pre. He finally got a Pre this past weekend. Today he told me how cool multi-tasking is on the Pre. Ha-ha. You just can't imagine how cool the multi-tasking is until you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    My dad has been using an Ipod Touch. I kept telling him how cool multi-tasking is on the Pre. He finally got a Pre this past weekend. Today he told me how cool multi-tasking is on the Pre. Ha-ha. You just can't imagine how cool the multi-tasking is until you use it.
    I had this similar conversation with an Iphone toting friend the other day. I admit that I'm biased...but this is how it went. We were both playing scrabble during a meeting. And I needed to add something to the calendar, so I minimized my game, added something to the calendar, then replied to an email that came in, went back to playing scrabble (pass n play). He asked what was I doing that it took me so long. I showed how easy it was to slide between apps/cards to do what I needed to do, all while still playing him in Scrabble...
    From G1 to Pre = Happy =)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockets95 View Post
    I'm trying to get her to switch to Sprint, but she doesn't like the Pre because you have to slide out the keyboard. She likes the Pixi, but that's missing wifi. A pixi would probably be fine for her, but I have a tough time recommending it (being a tech guy) since it doesn't have wifi.

Any Pixi users out there with suggestions?
    I was in much the same situation with my wife. I'm an IT pro, and I just couldn't picture getting a Pixi (on Sprint), when the Pre has WiFi. My wife did. When the 30 days were almost up, I asked her repeatedly if she was sure she didn't want to trade it in. She was sure. Doesn't seem to miss it at all.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I have both. I love the apps on the iphone and I prefer the "rigidness" of the iphone, but, the service on the pre (or, really, on sprint) has been heads and shoulders above ATT.... but, it does suck to NOT be able to talk and surf at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjkt405 View Post
    I had this similar conversation with an Iphone toting friend the other day. I admit that I'm biased...but this is how it went. We were both playing scrabble during a meeting. And I needed to add something to the calendar, so I minimized my game, added something to the calendar, then replied to an email that came in, went back to playing scrabble (pass n play). He asked what was I doing that it took me so long. I showed how easy it was to slide between apps/cards to do what I needed to do, all while still playing him in Scrabble...
    so you where cheating... getting the best 7 letter word... i know the drill ... been there myself ;P
  17. J0E
    At first I did. I yearned for those thousands of apps and regretted the decision to switch over to sprint. The pre grew on me though and now I have ZERO regrets.

Honestly I love the fluidity of the pre and swiping so much better then the 1st gen iphone. Having to close a screen to open another was just stupid and I soon realized that all those free game apps were really just a big waste of time and I don't miss any of them. I also pay $20/month less for twice the minutes (not even considering unlimited mobile to mobile minutes which is a god send) and 3G coverage (i had the edge iphone, good god was it slow) because I could not get any discount on my service thanks to Apple. Mind you that was the 1st gen iphone, the iphone 3G(s) service cost $10 more per month. Is $30/mo worth it for a couple thousand apps and the chance of easily burning through that puny 400 min plan? Not a chance.
    I sell phones for a living. Looking at the phones from a perspective where I get to see both the good and the bad for a lot of models I think the balance wins in favor of the pre.

Both phones do have their issues. I have seen countless iPhones with broken screens speakers that have failed and bricked for no apparent reason.

On the other hand I have seen Pres with the same issues. So my argument is that Apple is on their third generation of iPhone and they have made what significant changes to their OS to help customers multitask? Palm is on their first gen of smartphones running WebOS. Give them time, they have already made so many relevant changes that it is only going to get better as Palm updates the phones and WebOS.

My last main concern is Apples policies right now. Apple at one point vowed to take down software giant Microsoft from monopolizing the market and. But what is Apple doing now? Sueing companies like HTC that are growing rapidly and are actually posing a threat to apples sales. Plus Apple has all of their software locked down tight. Try putting a song from itunes onto say a Palm Pre? I find it funny that they are taking on these suits for patent infringement when Apple has infringed on a number of Palms patents over the years. You didnt hear Palm whining did you? Competition is good in business it keeps companies innovating and making things better.

Dont get me wrong I have always thought Apple was a great company with great innovations but lately they have been kind of getting on my bad side with their tactics of attacking other companies for useless reasons. So what if HTC's screen locks to keep you from going side to side when you want to scroll up and down. It just seems extremely insignificant to me in todays business. However this is only my opinion so take it how will, these are reasons enough to keep me from buying an iPhone.
    i love my pre....havent loved a phone so much ever...my gf also has a pre and has an itouch....shes an apple lover but bc she hates at&t u can understand....all my friends have iphones but the only reason is bc they have at&t...i even made my best friends iphone look like $h*t bc of the non intrusive notifications...he was playing a bowling game and i kept texting him...which kept on interrupting his game and i was laughing my ***** off...i told him to text me a bunch of times while i played a game and he saw that i could still c my messages without getting interrupted...he looked all sad LMAO...so yeah notifications and multitasking...i dont care if the pre is laggier than the iphone....pre is better imho than the iphone
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    Actually, I agree with him.
    Why do people come here asking what they should do, get iphone or stick with Pre?

It's a Pre forum, stupid question and one that can be decided on by yourself.
    You are right this is Pre forum, but it is not Pre fan forum. If he did not like the post, why did he go through 3 pages and then opted to post?

People can ask anything they want, you can tell from the title what the post is about, you don't like it, move on, there is no reason to harass people.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast