Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I had an iPhone and a Hero. I'm not sure if I like the Pre better than the iPhone, but I do like it better than the Hero. I do like the multitasking, and web browser seems to be faster. I have really gotten used to the keyboard. I actually am starting to prefer the keyboard on the Pre. However, the Pre still is missing some key features to the device.
    So I just decided to ask one of my coworkers what they thought about the iPhone. They said they liked it but the big complaint was battery life. He said if you use it a lot the battery can run down really fast. Then they showed me the charger that he brings with him. It was kinda huge and heavy. I'm glad I can just pop in an extra battery if I want.

And I don't want to sound catty, but my prod assistants iPhone just died two minutes ago.
    For what its worth, the iPhone still has a greater WOW factor working for it, and without question it pops apps up faster than Pre. Palm needs to jazz up the Pre's build, and speed to stay competitive, or at least to stay in the game.
    In San Francisco my Pre has never dropped a call.
    The Pre has great earpiece and mic sound quality.
    A business relation calls on his Iphone and I can barely understand him and that's on a good connection.
    Then he calls from a weak ATT reception area and his phone drops the call 3 friggin times in a few minutes.
    The last time I still have my Pre to my ear when he rings back.I have a super loud ringer go off in my ear.
    It was like a comedy skit.
    There is no way I would ever have a phone that drops calls like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I disagree, iPhone on Sprint has no appeal. It's funny my iPhone friends are starting to ask about the Pre, I don't boast or ever bring it up, but they see how much more cool the Pre is. iphone is just clunky.
    If the iPhone did come to Sprint Pre sales would plummet even further. My fiance got rid of her Pre for the iPhone. The slow UI and the hardware issues frustrated her to the point of no return.

I had the original iPhone and now the 3 GS. I still have my original 2G. Never had any hardware issues. I've taken it to the Apple store to resolve software issues, which were usually fixed by a hard reset or a restore. The OS is solid and for me easy to remedy.

The 3GS is a fantastic machine and very fast. If you've owned the 3G you owe it to yourself to get the 3GS. The advantages of the WebOS will slowly fade once you switch. The speed of the OS alone will blow you away. Launching apps, surfing the Web and navigating the UI happen very fast. Keep in mind that Apple doesn't follow, they lead and will deliver features when they're sure it's ready. Not half baked like Web OS and the Pre handset.
    Whenever I got a chance, I show off my Pre to whoever I met. Their reaction is usually: wow, that's nice! But when I ask them do you see yourself switch to this, I usually get a NO. I don't know why.
    Palm V - BlackBerry 8700 - iPhone 3G - Pre Plus
    Apps I like: Backgrounds, 5000 Quotes, Dealert
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    took me a long time to decide between a Pre and iPhone3gs. It was clear from the research that each had advantages over the other. One major push over the cliff for the pre is that it's made to be tinkered with. Almost as if Palm were saying, "we have updates in store, but in the meantime, have fun. It's your phone. Plug it in to your computer, it shows up as a drive. Go ahead, take the battery out. We condone hacking. You're big kids, lets see what we can all do with it." that kind of respect generates respect back.

I love not having to mess with itunes, drm, weird family-oriented policies on app submission, and possibly warrantee voiding jailbreaking. The whole Palm philosophy of openness really attracted me, and that potential for innovation alone made up for lack of apps (at the time).

the lag is still an issue, especially with the calendar, but I think that is countered by and made up for (and possibly caused by) the multitaskng. I hadn't realized how useful that could be until I got into it, and now I can't ever go back. It's worth the lag.

finally, the physical keyboard is so worth it.

those were the primary factors in getting a pre over iphone.
    Last edited by neve; 03/07/2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darktanone View Post
    If the iPhone did come to Sprint Pre sales would plummet even further. My fiance got rid of her Pre for the iPhone. The slow UI and the hardware issues frustrated her to the point of no return.

I had the original iPhone and now the 3 GS. I still have my original 2G. Never had any hardware issues. I've taken it to the Apple store to resolve software issues, which were usually fixed by a hard reset or a restore. The OS is solid and for me easy to remedy.

The 3GS is a fantastic machine and very fast. If you've owned the 3G you owe it to yourself to get the 3GS. The advantages of the WebOS will slowly fade once you switch. The speed of the OS alone will blow you away. Launching apps, surfing the Web and navigating the UI happen very fast. Keep in mind that Apple doesn't follow, they lead and will deliver features when they're sure it's ready. Not half baked like Web OS and the Pre handset.

Not half baked like iphone notifications?

The iphone OS is fast but it hardly does anything beyond launch an app. DOS is fast too.

Also, the pre surfs about as fast as the 3gs and there's youtube vids to prove it.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by predev View Post
    Whenever I got a chance, I show off my Pre to whoever I met. Their reaction is usually: wow, that's nice! But when I ask them do you see yourself switch to this, I usually get a NO. I don't know why.
    I suspect the issue is hardware. Pre is so much smaller than than the Iphone. I bought a Nexus One a week ago, and while I find the Pre infinitely more useful, the Nexus One is just plain sexy. From playing around with these phones I think WebOS is the best OS, followed by Android and Apple. But Hardware wise I would say Nexus and the Iphone are equally good with the Pre a very distant third. If Palm drops a nice hardware addition (the kind to really compliment the OS) around June/August I think Palm will do all right.
    Have fun with that glorified icon grid app launcher.
    You'll miss doing more than one thing at a time, trust me.
    You'll miss a physical keyboard.
    You'll miss being able to pull your battery.
    You'll miss not being a sheep.

Thanks for using Pre.
    I have both, and like them for different reasons.
    iPhone- better signal, better battery life, better apps,
    Pre- better screen, inbuilt backgrounding, smaller, messaging all in one app.
    Absolutely mental Depeche Mode fan since 1988, iPhone themer, app UI design, PM me for anything graphics-wise.
    My gf has the iphone 3GS along with pretty much everyone else I know. That's probably why I recently upgraded to the Pre Plus on Verizon. I was kind of over the iphone and I'm actually a Apple user and fan. So far I am really impressed with WebOS, I think it's awesome. Definitely better than the iphone from my perspective.

Hardware is a different issue though, the iphone is solid. The pre doesn't necessarily feel cheap, but the buttons, switches and charger door are definitely cheap. In fact my brothers accidentally ran over his iphone the other day. It didn't even break the glass, just the lcd screen. Apple replaced it because there were no signs of outer damage, which is crazy. The pre still needs some work, maybe replacing the inner shell with metal. Continue to improve on the keyboard and slider and I think it would be solid without a major redesign.

When I pick up the iphone now and again, I notice that I accidentally start swiping and flicking. I have never been a fan of how the iphone navigates. I will say that the iphone has a superior google maps that is way more accurate and faster. Also, web browsing is ahead of Palm and websites render a little better. There is pretty much no checker boarding when fast flicking on the 3GS. Whats up Palm you have the same processor?

My biggest observation is that I think Palm blew it with the Verizon release. They should have upgraded to the snapdragon processor as well as the ram update. That would have made big news as well as made the phone probably lag free. The Pre would have been the only phone on Verizon or in the world besides the Nexus One to have it right now. Also, 1.4 should have been ready at the release date. All this without redesigning the phone. Why didn't they try to be leaders here.

Palm has just been matching the iphone, when the next version comes out Palm will be way behind. I have to give it to Android, they have out spec'ed the iphone on almost every level pushing hardware along (from screen resolution to camera's etc.). Palm had a chance to be leaders and they need to be more innovative with the hardware to survive. Unfortunately operating systems don't sell phones, hardware does.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0llarm3nu View Post
    OK...First of all this is not a bash on palm pre...
    My thoughts are do you regret going from the iphone to Palm pre?
    The iphone is a near perfect product with a MINUS bc of multitasking. I am on the edge of switching to the iphone when my contract ends because i am sick of MY laggy Pre (Careful I said Mine not everyone's pre). Even when i doctered it. I can't even play any games because i get this stupid "TOo many Cards error". But this thread is not about me bashing my pre... i just want to know if you guys regret switching to the palm pre so I know if I should keep it or switch. Thanks
    I don't understand those posts. You always ask other people what you have to do in life? Is a phone that used to cost $200, not a $70,000 car. Who cares what others think, if you don't like that phone, change it. My advice for you is: switch to baby blue boxers, women like them a lot.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I have no regrets - the UI, synergy, multitaking have made a world of difference for me. The one thing I really miss, however, is the ability to listen to audiobooks and podcasts.

Excuse me, every iphone released has had major issues on release.. Also the lead, what exactly have the innovated other than a ginourmous app store.? When the iphone came out the media was all... Wow can play music and be a phone.. Can be customized... Can shoot pictures... Email.. woooo.
    Every feature that came out on the iphone Palm Treo owners had 5 years prior. Nice form factor, weak in function area.

I GPS naved and picture blogged from Europe 8 years ago with Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkagawa View Post
    In San Francisco my Pre has never dropped a call.
    The Pre has great earpiece and mic sound quality.
    A business relation calls on his Iphone and I can barely understand him and that's on a good connection.
    Then he calls from a weak ATT reception area and his phone drops the call 3 friggin times in a few minutes.
    The last time I still have my Pre to my ear when he rings back.I have a super loud ringer go off in my ear.
    It was like a comedy skit.
    There is no way I would ever have a phone that drops calls like that.
    So true, a friend of mine has an iphone and half the time I can't understand what he is saying, lol.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I liked my iPhone a lot but I simply got tired of having to re-jailbreak every time a new update came out - all I wanted to do was have themes. The 3rd party multi-tasking available on the Pre was the real deal breaker for me though. And although ATT coverage is pretty good where I lived - the overall quality of the phone on the iPhone just wasn't that good - at least that's what my friends said whenever I called them, I could hear them fine they just had a really difficult time hearing me. I'm glad I made the switch to the Pre. I'm not a huge App user so the only real advantage the iPhone has over the Pre isn't an issue. Never going to look back - at least not to the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    My gf has the iphone 3GS along with pretty much everyone else I know. That's probably why I recently upgraded to the Pre Plus on Verizon. I was kind of over the iphone and I'm actually a Apple user and fan. So far I am really impressed with WebOS, I think it's awesome. Definitely better than the iphone from my perspective.

Hardware is a different issue though, the iphone is solid. The pre doesn't necessarily feel cheap, but the buttons, switches and charger door are definitely cheap. In fact my brothers accidentally ran over his iphone the other day. It didn't even break the glass, just the lcd screen. Apple replaced it because there were no signs of outer damage, which is crazy. The pre still needs some work, maybe replacing the inner shell with metal. Continue to improve on the keyboard and slider and I think it would be solid without a major redesign.

When I pick up the iphone now and again, I notice that I accidentally start swiping and flicking. I have never been a fan of how the iphone navigates. I will say that the iphone has a superior google maps that is way more accurate and faster. Also, web browsing is ahead of Palm and websites render a little better. There is pretty much no checker boarding when fast flicking on the 3GS. Whats up Palm you have the same processor?

My biggest observation is that I think Palm blew it with the Verizon release. They should have upgraded to the snapdragon processor as well as the ram update. That would have made big news as well as made the phone probably lag free. The Pre would have been the only phone on Verizon or in the world besides the Nexus One to have it right now. Also, 1.4 should have been ready at the release date. All this without redesigning the phone. Why didn't they try to be leaders here.

Palm has just been matching the iphone, when the next version comes out Palm will be way behind. I have to give it to Android, they have out spec'ed the iphone on almost every level pushing hardware along (from screen resolution to camera's etc.). Palm had a chance to be leaders and they need to be more innovative with the hardware to survive. Unfortunately operating systems don't sell phones, hardware does.
    I agree with this post except the pre came out before the 3gs, so it was the 3gs that matched specs with the pre. I like the pre but new hardware is needed. Google maps on pre is just a web link and way too slow. We need a native app. Iphone does have less checker boarding but the pre is a great browser supporting gifs, anchors, flash and millions of colors so they aren't exactly doing the same thing. Still, checker boarding is hardly bad on the pre unless you have something hogging your ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I agree with this post except the pre came out before the 3gs, so it was the 3gs that matched specs with the pre. I like the pre but new hardware is needed. Google maps on pre is just a web link and way too slow. We need a native app. Iphone does have less checker boarding but the pre is a great browser supporting gifs, anchors, flash and millions of colors so they aren't exactly doing the same thing. Still, checker boarding is hardly bad on the pre unless you have something hogging your ram.
    True the Pre did one up the 3G for a tiny amount of time before the 3GS. Even more of reason to throw in the snapdragon for the Pre Plus. Would have been huge for palm until they figure out a new hardware design.
    Keep in mind that Apple doesn't follow, they lead and will deliver features when they're sure it's ready. Not half baked like Web OS and the Pre handset.
    You obviously never had a dozen G5 PPC's in your store that you had to return, at a loss, to Apple, because they had designed them so poorly that not ONE of them would run for more than two minutes without overheating. They've managed to get a couple of products right, I'll agree, but they've got a trail of failures a mile long behind them.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast