Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Polls have shown that the majority of past Sprint users would never come back because of bad past experience and that a number of others wouldn't change to Sprint because they've heard bad things as well. Palm's also had bad "talk" going around about their phones (go into a Verizon store and ask for a Palm Pre if you don't believe me). So how to fix this?

    When a 4G phone comes to Sprint and (hopefully) Palm has a 4G phone, they should instantly offer everyone on Sprint automatic upgrade eligibility just for the 4G phone. This will have two positive effects:

    1. Everyone getting that upgrade will love Sprint (and since they're losing customers, that's a big plus)

    2. Since the majority of them will now be using a 4G phone and surfing at 4G speeds (and using data while talking), they'll all be walking advertisements for Sprint and Palm.

    It's the perfect chance for them to get marketing that, really, they couldn't buy otherwise.
  2. AshDOG's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #2  
    Palm should have phones on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

    Shouldn't have released it on Sprint and wait 6 months to get on Verizon, then wait another 6 months to get on AT&T. Thats too late in the game.
  3. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    #3  
    ya, that verizon launch is going great. The asholes that work there steer everyone away from palm....hopefully palm won't grace verizon with its presence ever again
  4. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #4  
    Being able to surf and talk at the same time is nice, but if that was important I would be on ATT. I'm having a hard time figuring out why I need a faster data service for browsing given the small screens we have. In addition, I am connected to WIFI 90% of the time since that it when I am at home or work.
  5. #5  
    At&t chick said today they are getting a palm phone, assuming its the pre ( ? ) in middle/end May.
    Ive been with them ( nextel ) 4+ yrs. Switch to the pre / sprint this yr at xmas. Ive always had good service, but the CUSTOMER serivce sucks, in store ( for the most part ) but always get crappy service and transfered, disconnects, etc when I call customer service.....to bad ive had bad luck 99% of the time as I love sprint cell services.

    Though not as bad as my buddy getting called a completely different name at At&T the other day ( his name is Mr Gill & she was calling him Mr Hill, she was apparently not from around here !! L O L )
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by AshDOG View Post
    Palm should have phones on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile.

    Shouldn't have released it on Sprint and wait 6 months to get on Verizon, then wait another 6 months to get on AT&T. Thats too late in the game.
    I disagree. Releasing it on Sprint was NOT the problem. Having very little (and very poor) advertising once it was released on Sprint was THE problem. If Sprint had advertised the hell out of it like Apple did with the iPhone/iPod, Sprint would have gained (not lost) customers and Palm would have sold a lot more devices.
  7. #7  
    There were plenty of Palm ads all over cable. They were all horrible. That's Palm's fault....not Sprint's.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    ya, that verizon launch is going great. The asholes that work there steer everyone away from palm....hopefully palm won't grace verizon with its presence ever again
    This would be a dumb thing. Verizon right now has the largest subscriber base and it would be unwise for Palm not to consider having their phones on verizon. Palm messed up again because they assumed that they had a superior product that people would just buy it. But that is a mistake, as advertising is needed so people even know about your product. Also, Motorola did a very good job of informing Verizon sales rep about the Droid. Palm did not and is playing catch up.

    Hopefully Palm has learned their lesson about poor advertising.

    As far as 4G goes, if Sprint wanted to make a huge splash, allow the upgrade as the OP said, but also include 4G on all their current data plans and don't increase prices. That would cause quite a stir, and as far as I know, no one could match it right now.

    and....1000th post! Yay!

    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I disagree. Releasing it on Sprint was NOT the problem. Having very little (and very poor) advertising once it was released on Sprint was THE problem. If Sprint had advertised the hell out of it like Apple did with the iPhone/iPod, Sprint would have gained (not lost) customers and Palm would have sold a lot more devices.
    Marketing was a huge reason (along with poor hw quality). I did see a few ads but nothing to the level that they needed. Also, filling the airwaves with crap doesn't help (crap = terrible, terrible Palm ads). They should fire their marketing company ASAP!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There were plenty of Palm ads all over cable. They were all horrible. That's Palm's fault....not Sprint's.
    No where near enough marketing ads / commercials, etc. I agree though, the very few I saw were terrible. Their marketing was EPIC FAIL!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10. #10  
    Palm has some (somewhat admirable) loyalty to Sprint going there. They've historically released all the new Treos on Sprint, exclusive for a period, then on to Verizon with later models.

    What killed them more was the time it took to get WebOS going. Even they'll admit that. PalmOS was outdated, old, well-designed and supported, but blah. Old tech compared to the new stuff out. If they'd done it sooner, rather than releasing the WinMo phones they did as a stopgap, I think they'd be sitting pretty right now. Palm fans wanted 3G on a Palm OS, and they didn't get it............if I didn't have a fondness for the hardware quality, I probably would have swapped to something else.
  11. rfceo's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #11  
    Having a 4G phone will do no good unless you are in an area that has 4G up and running. You will still have 3G connectivity till 4G is added to that area.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    Having a 4G phone will do no good unless you are in an area that has 4G up and running. You will still have 3G connectivity till 4G is added to that area.
    And that's assuming 4G doesn't make some change that would make 4G capable phones today even comply with a newer revision. I don't think they'd do that, but there is a reason for test markets. If it doesn't work right the way it is, they'll have to make changes.
  13. #13  
    Actually if the news on P|C front page is marketed well and Verizon and soon AT&T employees would be trained well Palm would be doing just fine. A lot (currently) has to do with poor marketing.
  14. #14  
    Creepy ad lady = FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Were they trying to target the inhabitants of Middle-Earth? Not sure if Gollum is in a 3G area?

    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  15. rfceo's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    And that's assuming 4G doesn't make some change that would make 4G capable phones today even comply with a newer revision. I don't think they'd do that, but there is a reason for test markets. If it doesn't work right the way it is, they'll have to make changes.
    The 4G that Sprint uses is WiMAX which is used in many places throughout the world. Verizon and at&t have opted for a different format (which is more proprietary, giving them more control over users) LTE. I have read that there is a chip available now that has both forms of 4G on-board. It is also possible for Sprint to move from WiMax to LTE with a software change on their network. Also the Sprint 4G network has some others connected with it. On November 28, 2008, Clearwire, Sprint Nextel Corporation, Comcast Corporation, Time Warner Cable, Inc., Bright House Networks, LLC, Google Inc. and Intel Corporation entered into an agreement.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    The 4G that Sprint uses is WiMAX which is used in many places throughout the world. Verizon and at&t have opted for a different format (which is more proprietary, giving them more control over users) LTE. I have read that there is a chip available now that has both forms of 4G on-board. It is also possible for Sprint to move from WiMax to LTE with a software change on their network. Also the Sprint 4G network has some others connected with it. On November 28, 2008, Clearwire, Sprint Nextel Corporation, Comcast Corporation, Time Warner Cable, Inc., Bright House Networks, LLC, Google Inc. and Intel Corporation entered into an agreement.
    Yeah, I know all that, I do know how to read the news.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    ya, that verizon launch is going great. The asholes that work there steer everyone away from palm....hopefully palm won't grace verizon with its presence ever again
    I am very loyal to Palm. However I am MORE loyal to Verizon. That's why I waited so long for Verizon to get the Pre, and why I didn't get an iPhone on AT&T or Pre from Sprint.

    My job requires the network quality and coverage that only Verizon has delivered (I have tried all of the major carriers) and Verizon is the only carrier that works for me.

    I agree that Verizon isn't helping Palm sell much (just visit your local Verizon store and eavesdrop) but refusing to do business with Verizon would be suicide for Palm - and we all want Palm to be successful!
  18. #18  
    I was the same way, I waited until Verizon had the Pre. I had a Treo and wanted the Pre bad but was not willing to move to Sprints weak network. I considered moving to ATT for the iphone but have been pretty loyal to Palm since my PDA days. So I waited and watched and was very happy to hear they were moving to Verizon in January. I switched to the Pre that same week.

    I have never been anywhere that I could not get a Verizon signal. I have been with them since they were GTE in this area of Florida. Verizon and Att are now the two largest networks, everyone else is second tier. Even at the higher cost it is worth it to me to be with Verizon over Sprint. My son had Sprint for a few weeks and bailed on them for all the reasons I feared. The terrible network and customer service in the Tampa Florida area anyhow.
  19. #19  
    Am I missing something? On Sprint, if you are not getting good signal, you can roam for free on Verizons network. Sprint has a bad reputation for sins that happened years ago...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    Am I missing something? On Sprint, if you are not getting good signal, you can roam for free on Verizons network. Sprint has a bad reputation for sins that happened years ago...
    My thoughts too. Beyond that, Sprint has been kickin' to AT&T and Verizon in quite a few markets. Sprint coverage overall is actually rated quite high these days. Just a few days ago, an industry analyst was saying that Sprint could very well already be in the midst of a quiet turnaround. They are losing fewer and fewer customers quarter over quarter.

    Ugh, I would hate to be a slave to AT&T just to have an iPhone. I've had a Touch since they came out so I feel like I have the best of both worlds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions