1.    #1  
    HI, FYI, TAKE CARE, JAY

Rumor Mill: Palm to Launch WiMAX Phone on SprintAccording to analysts.

Sunnyvale-based mobile phone maker Palm is having some hard times lately, mainly due to the fact that its Palm Pre and Pixi handsets are not selling as good as expected. Both handsets are powered by its webOS platform, and are available in the US, Canada and on the European market, but it seems that Palm's ship is still sinking.
    Rumor Mill: Palm to Launch WiMAX Phone on SprintAs soon as Palm lowered its financial expectations for the third quarter of its financial year 2010, speculations on the possibility that the company will be sold emerged, and now they are accompanied by more rumors. According to analysts and observers, there are great chances that Palm would release a WiMAX handset on Sprint, something that would help it regain its foothold.

Kris Keilhack, associate editor at PalmInfocenter.com, said that there were great chances that these rumors might prove only wishful thinking, though it is true that Palm needs to do something that will bring it back. Sprint and Palm have a tight relationship, and the carrier launched the first webOS handset last year, something that might result in the release of the first webOS-based WiMAX handset too, especially since Sprint announced plans to make a move in this direction.

According to a recent article on ComputerWorld, Sprint already put in place a special event at the CTIA trade show in March, but the carrier hasn't unveiled any details on what it might unveil at that time. Moreover, neither Sprint nor Palm commented on the possibility that they might launch a WiMAX phone at that time.

Ken Dulaney, an analyst at Gartner Inc. commented on the rumors, stating that a WiMAX phone would be a 'poor leverage for Palm', according to the news site. “Palm needs to first and foremost build a phone that looks like the iPhone and the Nexus One and get rid of the Pre's [physical] keyboard,” Dulaney reportedly said. “Making it thin would be great with a touch screen that's 3.7 in. to 4.3 in. They have to hit the next home run here.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Ken Dulaney, an analyst at Gartner Inc. commented on the rumors, stating that a WiMAX phone would be a 'poor leverage for Palm', according to the news site. “Palm needs to first and foremost build a phone that looks like the iPhone and the Nexus One and get rid of the Pre's [physical] keyboard,” Dulaney reportedly said. “Making it thin would be great with a touch screen that's 3.7 in. to 4.3 in. They have to hit the next home run here.”
    Um, no. Palm does not need to copy the iPhone or the Nexus One. And I like my keyboard News of a new phone this month would be outstanding, however. I didn't realize there was an event this month.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Um, no. Palm does not need to copy the iPhone or the Nexus One. And I like my keyboard
    Yes, please Palm, do not copy the iPhone or Nexus one, no need to be a clone. Need a physical keyboard.

CTIA is this month, so hopefully they do unveil a new device there.
    analyst like ken dulaney are ********... cant wait for ctia tho
    Last edited by Young HoV 718; 03/05/2010 at 07:30 PM.
    I would drop palm with out the physical keyboard.... ive gotten many comments from people saying thats why they dont like the Iphone, no real keyboard. One of the main reasons Id never touch an iphone!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    there is no way palm could even get a virtual keyboard right enough to throw out a slate just yet
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I hope Palm keeps the vertical slider form factor of the Pre and make the hardware and sliding mechanism more sturdy. Enlarge the screen to @ 4.0", add WiMAX and a more potent processor like the snapdragon or OMAP4440 and I'd call that a winner. Oh and webOS 2.0 of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    there is no way palm could even get a virtual keyboard right enough to throw out a slate just yet
    they dont have to theres a functional one existing now and it was made by a 3rd party who im sure wouldnt be too objective to it being utilized all theyve gotta do is improve it
    It's less expensive to build a phone without a keyboard, if Palm decides to build it's next platform like a iclone then I am out.
    As much as I love my physical keyboard I actually think that Palm does need a full touch slab. It's a popular design and would probably sell. I'd buy it if it actually does WiiMax but I'd still miss my keyboard.
    I personally prefer a physical keyboard and don't want a phone that doesn't have one, but for Palm's and the customer's sake it would be nice if they offered one of each. Personally I vote against another vertical slider if they enlarge the screen.
    I don't see why they couldn't go with something about the size of the droid with the screen of the droid, keeping the keyboard.

Palm will never ditch the keyboard unless they get profitable enough to start launching more devices. Too many people have stuck with palm FOR keyboards.
  13.    #13  
    Hi all, I agree, I love a keyboard. That is why I have been a LOYAL AND HAPPY, Palm user. Right now I have a Centro, before that I had Treo(s) 300,600 & 650. The only reason why I did not get a Pre, is I cannot until Oct, due to my current V contract!

However, I have maintaned for months before the Pre came out that the next phone, Which I will call the PRE II for now would be a WIMAX! I hope I am right! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    love the keyboard!!! But where is the spell check???
  15.    #15  
    Hi, I am a poor speller, however, due to my disabilities, I am not the world's greatest typist!D
    get rid of the keyboard... thats why a lot of people like the Pre.. because it has a hardware KEYBOARD.
  17.    #17  
    Hi all,

1. I did a little homework and came up with the following few more articles. For what ever they are worth, I disagree with the one that says WiMax is not the way to solve Palm's problems.

Due to timing, I cannot get a Pre until my contract runs out in Oct.

Otherwise I would have gotten a Pre, ASAP. I do think that a Pre II would sell better, much better in fact. The Pre needs it's shortcomings dealt with, such as quality of the hardware, a larger screen and keyboard. Battery issues also need to be dealth with. We all know that there is a great deal of work being done on the next generation of chips to make them use much less power.

I also think that comitting to a WiMax phone would give App writers some additional faith that Palm will be here long enough to write more Apps.

2. The lack of App situation is curing itself! We are approaching or have approached critical mass. Meaning that once there are enough Apps out there, App writers, will feel comfortable in writing for Palm's WebOS.

Working on the next generation of Pre, will go a long way in reaffirming that Palm will be here in the long run.

3. The situation for commercials needs to be dealth with. We all know there are great advertizing companies out there. Palm sure needs one, so does Sprint and V on the subject of the Pre.

4. I think the addition of WiMax would be icing on the cake of the next generation of the Pre. I live 45 miles NW of Dsiney World. Orlando and the Orlando area, will not be in the first batch of cities, that are rolling WiMax. Yet, I would still buy Pre II or what ever it will be called, WiMax or not.

Furthermore, Sprint has reaffirmed their position of rolling out their 4G nextwork before everyone else. So I know that the Orlando area will be done before you know it.

Take care, Jay

Here are the additonal articles:

A WiMax phone might help ailing Palm
    But Palm also needs to start selling phones with AT&T, T-Mobile

By Matt Hamblen
    February 26, 2010 05:03 PM ET
    Computerworld - After Palm Inc. admitted that its smartphone sales were below expectations, rumors started swirling that the company might be sold, or that it could be beefing up its product line with a WiMax smartphone for Sprint Nextel.

Palm's biggest fans say that they don't want Palm to be sold and hope that the cell phone maker keeps plugging away at new smartphones and upgrades to its webOS.

"There are rumblings of [a WiMax-enabled smartphone] that might turn out to be wishful thinking, but I'd like to see that just because Palm needs to do something kind of drastic to get out there and get a good buzz [in the market]," said Kris Keilhack, associate editor at PalmInfocenter.com, and a Palm device user for 14 years.

HTC Corp. has been widely rumored to be making the first WiMax phone for Sprint, Keilhack noted, but other analysts and observers said it's possible that Palm also would build one, partly because Sprint had the exclusive carrier deal to sell the Palm Pre, the first device based on the webOS, in 2009. Sprint, the nation's third-largest wireless carrier, which is also heavily involved in deployment of the faster WiMax technology, has announced a special event at the CTIA trade show in March.

Neither Sprint nor Palm responded to requests for comment.

One commenter on Gdgt.com, named Oldmanwoerle, reasoned that a WiMax phone from Palm on Sprint is a "huge opportunity for both Sprint and Palm to grab a lot of subscribers."

Getting more Palm smartphone devices on the market with more carriers is what several industry analysts said they believe could save the company from disaster.

Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest carrier, has been selling the the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus smartphones since Jan. 25, although a report surfaced Wednesday that Verizon might begin pulling them off its shelves. However, Verizon officials Thursday called the devices "important" and said they would continue to be part of Verizon's marketing lineup.

Verizon admitted that its initial marketing of Palm devices was "below expectations," Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein wrote in a letter to Palm employees yesterday. However, Rubinstein said steps were taken to accelerate sales with the help of Palm Brand Ambassadors. He said the campaign was also boosting its marketing, with more Palm ads on billboards, bus shelters, buses and subway stations.

The nation's second-largest carrier, AT&T, said in January that it would sell two webOS devices this year, and some reports put the on-sale date in early May, based on filings with the Federal Communications Commission.

Even T-Mobile USA, the fourth-largest U.S. wireless carrier, is expected to sell a Palm webOS smartphone by midyear, Keilhack said.

Getting AT&T and and T-Mobile on board would be a key move for Palm, since both use networks based on GSM, which is widely used globally, noted Kevin Burden, an analyst at ABI Research. "Getting GSM carriers is the direction that Palm needs to go, and I'm not sure why they haven't done it up to this point," he said. "Sprint and Verizon haven't done it for them."

In contrast, Burden said he doesn't think WiMax network rollouts would be broad enough in the U.S. this year to help Palm with a WiMax phone. "I don't think a WiMax phone is the way to resurrect yourself," Burden said. "That creates a niche."

Ken Dulaney, an analyst at Gartner Inc., agreed, calling a WiMax phone "poor leverage for Palm." Dulaney said that getting new Palm smartphone hardware with a larger touch screen than the Pre's with a carrier such as AT&T would do Palm the most good.

"Palm needs to first and foremost build a phone that looks like the iPhone and the Nexus One and get rid of the Pre's [physical] keyboard," Dulaney said. "Making it thin would be great with a touch screen that's 3.7 in. to 4.3 in. They have to hit the next home run here."

Dulaney said he has already heard from two large mobile application developers that he refused to name that developing applications for Palm's webOS will be a lower priority than developing apps for Android devices, the iPhone or the upcoming Windows Phone 7 devices. "There are just too many OSes to do them all," he said.

However, there are some smaller and younger developers using the webOS platform that want Palm to stay financially healthy and not be sold. One of them, WizardApps, founded by 15-year-old Andrew Munsell of Seattle, is featured atop the official Palm blog, where he expounds on the value of writing apps for webOS in HTML and JavaScript. Munsell is earning a few thousand dollars each month from seven webOS apps available in the Palm App Catalog, according to the blog.

"I do not believe for a second that Palm will become a minor player," Munsell said in an e-mail, noting that Palm is pushing out new features such as the webOS 1.4 update being currently released.

========================

Is a WiMax phone all Palm needs to survive ?
    26 February, 2010
    There have been rumors doing rounds about Palm Inc. might be getting sold or Palm might add to its product line a WiMax smartphone for Sprint Nextel, ever since the company has accepted that their smartphone sales were not up to expectations.

In an interview in a news magazine, Kris Keilhack, associate editor at Palm InfoCenter has said, " There are rumblings of a WiMax-enabled smartphone that might turn out to be wishful thinking, but I'd like to see that just because Palm needs to do something kind of drastic to get out there and get a good buzz."

Of course Palm fans do not want the company to be sold and want the company to get new smartphones and upgrades to its webOS.

Most likely company to make the first WiMax phone for Sprint phones , as far as rumors go , is HTC but many analysts believe in the possibility that Palm is also going to make the product as Palm Pre's exclusive carrier deal was with Sprint, which is the first device based on the webOS, in 2009. Sprint being the third largest wireless carrier of US, has put a lot into the deployment of WiMax technology which is faster.Sprint is going to organize a special event at the CTIA trade show in March, as announced by the company.

Analysts are of the view that the best strategy for Palm to stay afloat is to get more Palm smartphone devices in the market with more carriers.

There were rumors that Verizone Wireless which is the largest carrier in US, will take Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus smartphones off their shelves but Verizone has denied in a release the rumors and reiterated that the devices are important and will stay in their marketing lineup. So we can hope that Palm Pre Verizone tie up is going to stay

On Thursday Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein wrote a letter to company employees which said that Verizone admitted that its initial marketing of Palm devices was below expectations. But steps were being taken to drive good sales with help from Palm Brand Ambassadors. Advertising is also being given a boost with more billboard ads, ads on buses, subway stations, bus shelters etc.

Other carriers which are in the loop to sell Palm devices are AT&T which will sell 2 webOS devices as it announced in January, then there is T-Mobile USA which might sell a Palm webOS this year. So Palm will need sales with all these large wireless carriers along with the new WiMax phone, to stay afloat.

====================

Palmís Recovery Effort: WiMAX Phone for Sprint?

By GoingWimax.com Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Palm, backed heavily by Sprint, will begin to improve their smart phone offerings after admitting that their Pixi and Pre havenít lived up to expectations. With Sprint as their biggest cheerleader, many insiders believe Palm will roll out a WiMAX-enabled phone.

The official announcement might even come as early as this month, with Sprint holding a special event at International CTIA Wireless 2010 in Las Vegas.

A rumored WiMAX phone has been in the works from HTC for a few months now. Analysts think there is an opportunity for Palm to assert itself in the smart phone market, along with Sprint being able to sign up a new batch of WiMAX customers.

Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO highlighted the benefits of WiMAX for the health care industry and announced that he would be a part of the latest ad campaign for Sprintís 4G.

Visit Going WiMax, the premier website in the industry for 'Everything WiMax' ! Read more about WiMax, 4G, LTE and Wireless technology at GoingWimax.com ‚ÄĘ Wimax News, Wimax Equipment and Wimax Conversations
    Quote Originally Posted by ev99wutang View Post
    Yes, please Palm, do not copy the iPhone or Nexus one, no need to be a clone. Need a physical keyboard.

CTIA is this month, so hopefully they do unveil a new device there.
    +111111
    need that physical keyboard!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!