Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    iPhone games ported to webOS in 'a matter of days' on tap for GDC? -- Engadget

EA has already said that it was able to get 3D games up and running on webOS in a "matter of weeks" using the OS' PDK (or Plug-in Development Kit), but it looks like Palm might be ready to step things up even further at GDC next week. While any official word will have to wait until then, John Paczkowski of AllThingsD says that he's heard from sources close to the company that Palm will be now demonstrating how iPhone apps can be ported to webOS "in a matter of days," and with virtually no degradation in performance. Not much more to go on that that at the moment, unfortunately, but you can be sure we'll be there at GDC to how this and anything else Palm might have in store pans out.
    Last edited by geodim; 03/05/2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    If they've developed a quick and easy method to port iPhone apps over to webOS, this has the potential to be groundbreaking.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

this should make the pre look like a contender
    Lisa Brewster who works in Palm Developer Relations claims in a matter of hours, not even days.

Twitter / Lisa Brewster: The @palm PDK will allow i ...
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Lisa Brewster who works in Palm Developer Relations claims in a matter of hours, not even days.

Twitter / Lisa Brewster: The @palm PDK will allow i ...
    Nice. Stevie J. is going to love this.

Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Nice. Stevie J. is going to love this.
    Luckily Steve J. has almost 0 control over the apps in the iPhone catalog. He can control what goes in, but it's the developer who chooses which OS to port it to.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It wouldn't be above him to try to force EA to only support the iPhone. Of course then you can easily sue Apple for monopolistic practices.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    thats awesome
    That would open up a lot apps to us WebOS users. Glad to hear it can be done.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    It wouldn't be above him to try to force EA to only support the iPhone. Of course then you can easily sue Apple for monopolistic practices.
    How would that be any different than Sony or Microsoft gaining exclusive rights to game titles or publishers?

the days are made up of so many hours .. ..
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    How would that be any different than Sony or Microsoft gaining exclusive rights to game titles or publishers?
    EA has long been known as a 3rd party developer, there would definitely be a reaction if such exclusivity was granted.
    Honestly, I hope this isn't the only thing they show off at the GDC. I know the focus is games, but I would love to see something that isn't an iPhone port shown off... especially something that combines both Mojo and the PDK like they've said is possible but we haven't seen any examples of yet... even if that isn't a game.

Or maybe they can show iPhone ports at GDC, and stuff like I've mentioned at CTIA. They've been saying that it's possible to use this for stuff that isn't games, well why not that to everyone.