1.    #1  
    Have just webosdoctored my Pre with 1.4, then loaded profile.

Installed PMS / Preware using latest WOS QI

Installed a theme/tweak successfully with Preware, also installed an AppCatalog app successfully.

Tried to install some homebrew apps, and keep getting:
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' ....
    Invalid content length....

What causes this, and how is it fixed?

This is a supposedly fresh phone, with latest software, so why is Preware failing? I've also had problems with Preware in the past, has anybody actually managed to use Preware successfully? It's a fantastic idea for an App, and I appreciate the efforts of the team who wrote it, but it just seems full of bugs. Or am I just being dumb?
    first off preware works just fine . Next you need to delete preware and reload it as well as package manager service . Then you should go into webos QI and then the little blue arrow again and then its either webos internals feed (pre) or (all) and load up , gnu , diffstat , and lsdiff . After you load these up reboot phone and preware should work fine . Then first thing you should do is open preware and update anything that has an update . Hope this helps
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    OK, I followed those instructions. I deleted PreWare then restarted phone.

Ran WOS QI, uninstalled PMS, gnu, diffstat, lsdiff.

Next... tried to get the WebOS Pre feed, got error "error reading package list", although the list still appeared anyway.

So, selected "GNU", downloaded it, installed it, and got error message:

mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-root on / failed: Device or resource busy.

So, there's not much point proceeding...

Can anyone help? Or should I just give up on Preware?
    what I would do is a partial erase . It will erase all your apps so you can start fresh. Yes your app store apps will reload by themselves when you sign in to profile.after that you need to start over. Go slow load package manager fist and then load preware
    after those are installed reboot phone
    then go back and install the other three gnu,diffstat,lsdiff.
    then reboot phone again. This should make preware work properly. Of course then fisrt thing is to update anything in preware it will show you when you open it if there are any there. This is just a suggestion you don't have to do this but I would. It will erase any data stored in most apps but not all.
    if you need any help just click on my name and send a personal message I will get back to you and help any way possible . Ok?!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ps you will need to turn dev mode back on to after the partial erase. Lol just sayin ha!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  6.    #6  
    OK,

Have just done a partial erase, although strangely not all of my apps had disappeared, a few were still available. But I did get prompted to reload my profile, which I did.

I slowly installed PMS, Preware, GNU, lsdiff, diffstat. This time I got no errors during the install operation from webos QI, so that was an improvement!

I installed an app in preware from the app catalog.

But on trying to install a precentral homebrew app (Sokoban) I get the following:

Install
    Begin installation of xxxxxxx to root
    Installing xxxxxxxx
    Downloading http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/precentral/xxxxxxxx
    An error occurred, return value: 22.
    Failed to download xxxxxxxxx
    Collected errors:
    ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value: 1: 'wget --passive-ftp -q -P /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg-q7DtLv http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/precentral/xxxx
    wget: content-length 148 is garbage

Failed:
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' operation

So.... after a webos doctor, and a partial erase, I still have this problem.

What exactly causes this error, and what can I do about it?

Thanks!
    here is a link to the forum where they are discussing that app . i dont know what up with your download ? does anything else load up like patches and other stuff??

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2194825 i guess you could always send the dev a note asking about it but thats all i can think of ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  8.    #8  
    Hey, Sokoban was just an example. I get the 'install' error in preware on everything from the homebrew apps feed. Not sure about patches/tweaks/themes. Palm App catalog apps install fine though.

I'm guessing wget is where the actual app gets downloaded. Just can't figure why that would fail for me.
  9.    #9  
    Does anybody else get this error when installing homebrew apps from preware?

ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during 'install' operation
    Quote Originally Posted by wonka68 View Post
    wget: content-length 148 is garbage
    This means that your cellular provider is corrupting the download.

Try using Wifi instead. If you're on a wifi hotspot, make sure you've logged into the hotspot first.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Shadow, why install the other three? I just have Preware and Package Manager and everything is working good for me.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This means that your cellular provider is corrupting the download.
    OK, well I'm on O2 in the UK, I'm sure they impose the same restrictions on *all* 3G users, not just me.

So..... that means nobody in the UK can use Preware????
    Quote Originally Posted by wonka68 View Post
    OK, well I'm on O2 in the UK, I'm sure they impose the same restrictions on *all* 3G users, not just me.

So..... that means nobody in the UK can use Preware????
    I'm also on O2 UK and sometimes have trouble installing from preware over 3G, normally try the same thing when I get home on wireless and it works fine so would agree with what Rod is saying.