Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yes, because I like having the shiny new-ness.
    Chaos begets chaos...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    there was a huge speed jump between 1x and 3g. Night and day just for checking email. Powervision was originally more expensive than regular vision and the geek crowd that made use of winCE and PalmOS saw the value in it. I don't see huge delays and wait times for the surfing that I do on my phone so why would I want to pay more money than I have to? Add to that I already have a 4g usb card. Okay, if I can use the phone as a hotspot, but that's also going to increase the battery drain, and I lose separation of church and state between my wireless setup and my phone. If I head to a shore or ski house and setup wifi for everyone in the house, well it's only good as long as my phone is there.

What's so difficult to understand? Why pay extra for something if you won't realize the value of it?
    I'm sure people said the same thing when it was 2g and 3g was on the way.

4g is just the next step. You'll take it too, even if you feel its "unnecessary".
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    If Boston is one of the cities, I'd buy, too, but a bump in hardware specs would also be required.
    They announced Boston as one of the cities to get 4G in 2010, so you're in luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Honestly, I can't even get Edge in my area, let alone 3G. So no, I wouldn't buy my next phone based on its 4G capability.
    I believe the UK is going all LTE so you will probably have to wait across the pond.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I most certainly will buy. Lots and lots of 4G goodness covering Vegas!
    I'm one that would usually keep my phone till it dies (had my last phone 5 years, dumbphone though), but since I need two more pre's to make a set of 5, I would upgrade whether it's 4G or not.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  7.    #67  
    We'll see if the 4G phone exists, but still, I say if the battery lasts only a few hours, Palm won't do well.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    San Antonio is covered and I would be too. Bring it!
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Will Sprint 4G (WiMAX?) allow voice and data at the same time?
    My understanding is that when a handset is available on Sprint's 4G network, it will be doing voice over IP (VOIP). If that's the case, then you should be able to do voice and data at the same time, since it's all data.
    only if there's also a CDMA and/or GSM radio as well. 4G isn't everywhere and legacy networks will be needed to fall back at some point in time....
    no i wouldn't buy.

Right now my next phone won't be a Palm phone.
    need a whole lot more mainstream apps that aren't games.
    i wouldn't pay more for 4G
    better battery life
    did i say more mainstream apps. i don't need the novelty pre apps.
    i'd need a music player that is equal in everyway to an iphone.
    probably need a better way to sync, music and podcasts from my desktop.
    wouldn't mine being able to add a pic to a contact without it going blurry.
    a decent autocorrect dictionary

there are other things but those are the main ones off the top of my head that have to be corrected for my next phone to be a palm phone even without 4G. 4G just isn't on the top of my wants list.
    I would buy in a heartbeat! I'm in Philly and we've got 4G coverage already...
    I want to enjoy my Pre until 4G coverage is broader. However, I believe Verizon is skipping 4G and going straight to LTE. That is coming this summer, and I would wait about a year after they start deploying LTE.

That also means I wont have to buy a bunch of accessories and extended batteries for a while like I just did to move from my Centro to the Pre Plus.
    I would definitely buy +1
  15.    #75  
    Assuming WiMax allows surfing and calling simultaneously, a 4G Palm might finally be seen as a viable iPhone alternative (assuming they put out good advertisements making note of this capability)
    I'm in Phoenix, and I think that is getting 4G in 2012 right? Well, my answer is yes. First off, I love webOS, I am going to support Palm through thick and thin. I have a Pixi and I am looking forward to Sprint getting new hardware then I will upgrade. WebOS 2.0 + 4G + new hardware = yes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    only if there's also a CDMA and/or GSM radio as well. 4G isn't everywhere and legacy networks will be needed to fall back at some point in time....
    Know a guy in San Antonio, former coworker, that has 4G for his home ISP, through Clear. The little router has both 3G and 4G, so if the signal drops, he kicks over to the slower speed. I imagine mobile phones will be the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I want to enjoy my Pre until 4G coverage is broader. However, I believe Verizon is skipping 4G and going straight to LTE. That is coming this summer, and I would wait about a year after they start deploying LTE.

That also means I wont have to buy a bunch of accessories and extended batteries for a while like I just did to move from my Centro to the Pre Plus.
    Just an FYI, LTE is 4G, it is just a different technology, the same way EVDO and UMTS or HSDPA are 3G but different technologies.

Fortunately for Sprint WiMax is ready a lot sooner than LTE. Unfortunately LTE is going to be used more broadly than WiMax and I believe is faster as well.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    In a heartbeat. Kansas City is getting 4G this year. My business relies on online data, so any bump in speed would be a HUGE selling point. I'm actually considering moving to an Android 4G phone if Palm doesn't release one before July.
    Not only will I buy, I'll be first in line.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast