Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've posted this before but after close to a year with my Pre I can definitively say the major cause of battery drain is the data connection. Other things also cause drain but the one thing that sucks the battery the most is the data transceiver.

Don't believe me, try using WiFi instead the data connection. It will last many times longer.

I now turn off my data connection when I go out after work (since I don't need it) and my phone lasts way longer. FYI texts will still come though since it uses the cellular radio.

Another thing is, your Pre (true for most phones) will charge up faster with all the radios turned off. If I need my Pre charged up fast I put it in Airplane mode and it takes almost half the time.

Hope this helps...
    I believe this is pointed out clearly in an article posted by Dieter if you Bing/Google "Improve Palm Pre Battery Life".

"Turn ON WiFi. No, seriously

Palm told us that the Pre was very efficient at WiFi and that we might just see better battery life with WiFi on. I haven't done extensive testing yet, but yesterday I spent all day in a spot with absolutely terrible Sprint signal. In the morning, WiFi off and the battery drained rather quickly, down to 50% in three hours of moderate use. In the afternoon I turned WiFi on and with the same usage, it managed to keep it up to 25% four hours later. Still not great, but surprisingly better!

So: poor signal but good WiFi? Turn on WiFi. No WiFi around, turn it off.
    "

It's well known.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I've posted this before but after close to a year with my Pre I can definitively say the major cause of battery drain is the data connection. Other things also cause drain but the one thing that sucks the battery the most is the data transceiver.

Don't believe me, try using WiFi instead the data connection. It will last many times longer.

I now turn off my data connection when I go out after work (since I don't need it) and my phone lasts way longer. FYI texts will still come though since it uses the cellular radio.

Another thing is, your Pre (true for most phones) will charge up faster with all the radios turned off. If I need my Pre charged up fast I put it in Airplane mode and it takes almost half the time.

Hope this helps...
    If you turn off your phone, the battery will last even longer
    "I'm sorry your phone is smarter than you"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SportingLions View Post
    I believe this is pointed out clearly in an article posted by Dieter if you Bing/Google "Improve Palm Pre Battery Life".

It's well known.
    Like I said I've posted this before (even before that article) but I still see posts about battery drain and thought it was time to repost this. Plus Dieters article lists things you can do but doesn't detail how much you will save on battery life using each of those methods. For instance he says close all your cards but I suspect having a lot of cards open is using the data connection which is the root cause.

There is no other thing you can do to improve battery life more then turning off the data connection. And that's an important point.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zx600 View Post
    If you turn off your phone, the battery will last even longer
    True but you'd be amazed how much longer it will run with the data connection off. Plus most use (and importance) of a phone is for calls and texting. You can always turn your data connection on to check email or something and turn it off again thereby minimizing the impact of this practice.
    IFYI texts will still come though since it uses the cellular radio.
    However, you will NOT receive texts if they have pictures attached.
    im not turning off the data connection on a smartphone.

might as well buy a dumbphone and save some monthly monies.

Hope this helps...
    How right you are

2 hours of internet radio streaming on a weak 3g signal and that was it for my battery And the phone was getting pretty darned hot !!

Oh well
    How do I turn off data connection?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by thegame2388 View Post
    By using Preware or WebOS Quick Install, install the Data Patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegame2388 View Post
    Open phone app, top left corner tap tab then open preferences and then scroll down and turn off data.
    So you're saying that if I'm on a college campus and surrounded by WiFi 24/7, then I can turn off Data (EVDO), use WiFi exclusively, and STILL get text messages and calls?
    that's exactly what I do & it's the only way I can actually make it though a whole day.

I just install the data toggle app & put it right on the launcher. When I need it... Just toggle data on. When I don't, leave it off & save an astounding amount of battery.

the one drawlback as mentioned tho is you will not receive MMS pictures while data is off, but as soon as you turn it back on the messages will come through. Yea... Kinda annoying but for me the additional battery life is worth it.

ohh.. And yes. With EVDO/1x off & strictly wifi on you will still be able to make & receive phone calls and text messages. Just not picture mms messages
    haha thats fine. i dont picture mms anyway. damn, so now my data is gonna be off!! thats like....a crap ton of hours on my battery now! WOOHOO FOR BEING ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS!
    one thing I would recommend everyone to do is to use thei phone until the battery dies and the phone turns off. . . I had some terrible battwry life two days ago. Battery dropped like crazy. I used it until it hit 0% and was still able to browse the web for 1 hour plus 2 hours of stand by. . Since then the battery reading is much more accurate!
    Simply having the screen on drains my battery. Seriously. I can be in airplane mode, have no apps open, and simply move around the launcher and watch the battery drain 1-2% per minute. :-(
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Patch Idea: Have EVDO turned off when apps needing an internet connection is off. When an app that needs data is turned on, EVDO turns on automatically and off when closed. This is more convenient than turning data on/off manually which I do but a lot of times I forget.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrshr01 View Post
    Patch Idea: Have EVDO turned off when apps needing an internet connection is off. When an app that needs data is turned on, EVDO turns on automatically and off when closed. This is more convenient than turning data on/off manually which I do but a lot of times I forget.
    I'm pretty sure this is how it should theoretically work already
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    lol, I think you're right. I just thought of that. EV is blank when not in use but turns white when in use. But I do notice a huge difference in battery life on days that I toggle data compared to days that I don't. So maybe it's still searching for a signal even when not in use but turned on.
    Like I said I've posted this before (even before that article) but I still see posts about battery drain and thought it was time to repost this. Plus Dieters article lists things you can do but doesn't detail how much you will save on battery life using each of those methods. For instance he says close all your cards but I suspect having a lot of cards open is using the data connection which is the root cause.

There is no other thing you can do to improve battery life more then turning off the data connection. And that's an important point.
    Yeah, I wasn't doing the whole "Repost Police" bit. I was just saying that if people really cared about the battery life to the point where they would make a thread complaining and asking how to improve it, you'd think they'd try Google. It's the first search result.

Either way, it helps a lot and works against you too if you dont have a strong WiFi signal around.

You have to pick the strongest.

Stong EV , Weak WiFi = WiFi OFF
    Weak EV, Strong WiFi = WiFi ON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast