1.    #1  
    unreal....
    i went to bed around midnight and left my Pre on the stand with a 39% charge. Woke up this morning around 8am and my pre was dead !

I understand 5-10% less but not 39% at IDLE
    I think you meant 'How can an idle phone consume so much better?'

It's probably because a program was running in the background or something which just consumed energy, probably a one time thing.
    My Pre doesn't. Wifi set to on, GPS off, email set to check every 30 minutes and 30+ patches.

It's been narrowed down to certain brands of wireless routers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mine used about 13% from about 8pm to 8am (I did not use it during that time). I guess it depends on your signal and what else you have turned on.
    Depends on your signal. When I am at my grandma's house, which seems to be on the edge of 3G and Roaming, my phone gets warm and battery drains faster when just sitting there. Even when the phone is idle, its still negotiating a signal to be able to receive calls. So hopping between 1 bar 3G and Roaming (or 1xRT) is more power intensive.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My Pre doesn't. Wifi set to on, GPS off, email set to check every 30 minutes and 30+ patches.

It's been narrowed down to certain brands of wireless routers.
    is there a list of these?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    i get about 1.5 to 2.1% battery drain an hour when idle. If I am signed into messenging services that number doubles.

Why don't you charge your phone while you sleep?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    i get about 1.5 to 2.1% battery drain an hour when idle. If I am signed into messenging services that number doubles.

Why don't you charge your phone while you sleep?
    i do charge it, but i think the more often i charge the phone, the worst the battery gets ! so i want to charge it when the battery gets at 10% or less.

i see myself charging this phone around 3 times a day at work.. and i just use it to check emails and read news
    I constantly roam in my house and since I got tired of having to go into airplane mode whenever I listen to music, I just ponied up for the double battery from Seidio. The Pre's battery life sucks for anyone who actually uses the phone, there is just no way around it, I don't care how many tips you put out there.
    If you have your Pre configured for email and Synergy, then it's not "idle." Any device that runs in the background like this is going to consume energy, and the 5% that your Pre consumed per hour isn't terribly unreasonable.

This isn't a dumbphone that's doing nothing but wait for calls... And if you're using your Pre as such, then it's not the right device.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Yeah I've got horrible battery life as well. I don't troll the boards enough to know if this is true or not, but if I leave the web browser open I can pretty much watch my battery meter drop in real time.

I love seeing people suggest having various programs open and running at all times so you can quickly access them. But my battery really takes a hit when I do that. Not to mention that I'll inevitably start getting the "Too many cards open" notification. Sometimes I'll even get that when I have ZERO apps open. Which is awesome because it's telling me I need to close some cards, and I ain't got none open. Then this means I have to restart and come back half an hour later to use my phone after it starts back up.

Oh well.
    If you have a good 3g signal, try running with wifi off and see if there is any difference. My wireless router is a UltraLine Series 3 that I got when I signed up to Vios and not having any problems with it running my battery down. Also, here is a thread I dug up about the wireless router issue:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-battery.html
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Mine used about 13% from about 8pm to 8am (I did not use it during that time). I guess it depends on your signal and what else you have turned on.
    So do you turn off everything? I did that for a while but found it so annoying to have to turn everything on everytime I needed to use an app. In one instance I had to wait around a minute or 2 to use google maps.

Today i left the house at 7:50 with 98% battery. My work commute is about 20min, between that time I used Pandora, I browsed one website, closed it, used New York Times app, closed it then played Sudoku. At this point I only had 2 cards open. By 8:10 when I got to work my battery was at 78%.

Most of the times I refrain from using apps or leaving cards open as battery drains too fast. I charge at least 3 times a day...maybe there's something wrong with my battery. Reception has never been an issue, anyone in SF knows that

Going back to the OP's original point. I've been there man. Went to bed one night with 50% battery, by the time I woke up it was at 12%. Mind you, I turn airplane mode daily from 12am to 6am. Phone was completely idle.

There has to be something wrong with my battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sveilien View Post
    Depends on your signal. When I am at my grandma's house, which seems to be on the edge of 3G and Roaming, my phone gets warm and battery drains faster when just sitting there. Even when the phone is idle, its still negotiating a signal to be able to receive calls. So hopping between 1 bar 3G and Roaming (or 1xRT) is more power intensive.
    i know. my phone drained like 50% just sitting in class today. it was a three hour class, but still. i wasn"t even using it. i'm pretty sure it's because the service sucks here. it was getting warm too. so i switched it to wifi and it seems to be helping even though i am not using it. weird.
    The battery technology doesn't diminish with charges. Palm verified this on their official forum and had engineers encourage us to charge our phones whenever we get the chance. Keeping it topped off us more healthy for a battery than allowing it to completely drain.
    Well, I have yet to experience that kind of battery drain on my Pre, wifi and GPS off, while just sitting around on my desk in a good signal area. Now, my old 800w with the same size battery, it would fluctuate wildly. One day I would get 12 hours standby (not great, but hey, if I wanted 10 days, I'd have a little flip phone) and the next, I'd check an email after a fresh charge, and an hour later I'd be getting the 10% battery left chime. Try what netwrkr9 said, turn on wifi at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    The battery technology doesn't diminish with charges. Palm verified this on their official forum and had engineers encourage us to charge our phones whenever we get the chance. Keeping it topped off us more healthy for a battery than allowing it to completely drain.
    Beat me to it. +1
    For me, it's cell data that will kill it. I get weak signal inside my house. So I usually disable data, and keep wifi on, and my battery might lose 10-15% overnight, if that.