1.    #1  
    Whenever I get a new phone, I decline the TEP option. My justification for this is, at $7/month I would be paying a premium of $84/year, or $168/contract period (before it was a new phone every year), PLUS a $50 - $100 deductible, and at that cost, I could either pay for part of a new phone on ebay, or just save that money, use my old phone, which I always keep as a backup, and get a new phone when my contract was up. And in the 12 years I've had Sprint, I've only lost or completely damaged one phone, which was easily replaced by a comparable phone for minimum cost.
    Jumping into the smartphone game with the pre made me rethink this a bit more, as my old phone, a Sanyo flip (that, ironically, was the replacement for the phone that I destroyed and was 4 years old), was nowhere near the device as the pre was. And with the contract-free pre's price was around $500, the deductible + premium seemed worth it. But, in the end, I decided to opt out again.
    I have since gotten my fiance, brother, brother-in-law, and future sister-in-law on my plan, all with pre's. Everyone's phone is in great shape, but I dropped mine on New Year's eve and knocked a pretty big chip off the upper left corner, which also seemed to make the slight oreo very bad. Plus the screen seems fuzzy up there. Still a great phone, but a bit of a bummer that it's banged up. And there I was with no TEP plan.
    Yesterday, I got an email telling me that, for March only, there is an open enrollment for the TEP program, whether you've had your phone for "2 days or 2 years." Unbelievable! I re-enrolled myself immediately and am thinking about "losing" my phone to get a new pre for $100 and the $7 I pay for my March TEP. Seems a bit unethical, but hey, if I can take advantage of this and get a new pre on the cheap, I'm all for it.
    Did anyone else get this email? If so, is there anyone else in my same boat? I know getting a new pre for $100 when there may be a new webOS device coming out soon might seem like a bit of a waste, but for me, $107 seems reasonable, especially when there isn't a guarantee that we WILL be getting a new device. What do you think?
    http://sprint.p.delivery.net/m/p/nxt...mid=1735926425
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    You may have to file some paperd for a lost/stolen phone and the Dec/esn will also be marked as stolen. But -print dud this back in sept oct of last year.
    If I were you I would sign up and wait to see if a new phone is coming out in june before dropping 100 bucks. We should know soon.....i hope
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just turned mine in to ins. Because of the many war scars my pre has gotten, I too was worried about getting a refurb, not a new device. So I checked out their site prior to filing my claim. And deep in their fine print I found the policy which states the if you will be receiving a refub phone, they MUST tell you this prior to paying the non-refundable dedutible. Armed with this info I called, said nothing about it to their rep., just went through the process and received my NEW pre the next day. Checked it out, inside out upside down and everything, sure enough it was brand new, battery too. But if it infact was a refub I was going to call and refuse it because they did not tell me prior to paying that it would be a refurb.

so if they do not tell you it's a refurb before you pay, policy states it will be brand new.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    while I am not adverse to signing up for the insurance, it seems a little like fraud to get the insurance so that you can say you lost your phone and get a new one at reduced cost. I guess that is why the insurance is as expensive as it is.....
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    while I am not adverse to signing up for the insurance, it seems a little like fraud to get the insurance so that you can say you lost your phone and get a new one at reduced cost. I guess that is why the insurance is as expensive as it is.....
    No, you will get a refurbed replacement, in case that makes you feel better.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissizit View Post
    I just turned mine in to ins. Because of the many war scars my pre has gotten, I too was worried about getting a refurb, not a new device. So I checked out their site prior to filing my claim. And deep in their fine print I found the policy which states the if you will be receiving a refub phone, they MUST tell you this prior to paying the non-refundable dedutible. Armed with this info I called, said nothing about it to their rep., just went through the process and received my NEW pre the next day. Checked it out, inside out upside down and everything, sure enough it was brand new, battery too. But if it infact was a refub I was going to call and refuse it because they did not tell me prior to paying that it would be a refurb.

so if they do not tell you it's a refurb before you pay, policy states it will be brand new.
    I seriously doubt this is true. I called, was actually told they were sending me a new device and still received a refurb.

I would bet you its not a new phone. some look new but aren't. Just open your phone dial app and dial ##786#. This will bring up an app screen that shows manufacture info.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    not really the point, but I am sure it is a perspective not shared by many, so it's okay.