View Poll Results: What is keeping you from buying apps?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Money makes the world go round and I have none for apps.

31 28.18%
  • That will take away from my beer fund.

10 9.09%
  • I need productivity apps. How else am I suppose to work on the go?

25 22.73%
  • I need music apps....

2 1.82%
  • I need more games (I know the NOVA fans are going to vote this one)

5 4.55%
  • The quality of Apps on the WebOS are not worth my money

36 32.73%
  • Palm Classic apps work find for me.

1 0.91%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I feel zero responibility to just buy apps for the good of the cause as it seems jhoff would want us to do. Research is not hands on, and I had the ability to reurn apps on my last 3 OS's, one of which was PalmOS. I returned a few there that mostly were productivity related. Throw in winmob and android and that's 3 for with 3 against. Last I checked, this is not a PC environment so arguments of buying software at a store and Steam don't hold water.

If the app is free, and I use it, I'll donate. If I like the trial, I'll buy it. If it's something I'm not sure about, and I don't have either option, then I do without.

Can't just dismiss Android's way of doing it. It works and works well. And it's in direct competition with webOS so it's extremely fair to compare. I still have my Moment because I got D2G for 10 bucks and I have no alternative here. not buying Classic to run one app. So with Android still a viable alternative, the app store is a point in their favor. they also have many more free apps that I've donated where the alternatives here require payment up front.
    I enjoy testing out new apps. Even if it is not something I will use often, and get some enjoyment for paying a dollar or two to try out a new game or creative app. For apps above $5, it would be nice to have a trial. I probably buy 3-4 apps a month and download a whole bunch of free ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I feel zero responibility to just buy apps for the good of the cause as it seems jhoff would want us to do. Research is not hands on, and I had the ability to reurn apps on my last 3 OS's, one of which was PalmOS. I returned a few there that mostly were productivity related. Throw in winmob and android and that's 3 for with 3 against. Last I checked, this is not a PC environment so arguments of buying software at a store and Steam don't hold water.
    I'm not saying to buy just to support developers, or to support the good of the cause. I'm saying there's more good apps than people give it credit for. While yes, in a perfect world, we'd have more trials and a return policy, that doesn't change the fact that there's more than enough information out there to make an educated decision on any application in the Catalog (with the exception being on anything that comes out the same day you're looking at it).

As for being able to return stuff on Palm OS/ Garnet... uh where? Neither Handango nor PalmGear allowed returns that I can recall or see on their current policies, and as far as I know, the old Palm store which was a rebranded third-party store anyway didn't as well.

As for the fact that I'm comparing to PC stores, you're totally missing the point. The point is, refunds aren't available for PC software, for whatever reason. Does that mean that you don't buy PC software, if there's something that you have a need for? Well, they're not available for the Palm store either. You can argue all you want about how it should be, but they're not there. Not taking a leap of faith on a well-reviewed application that fits your needs and now even has video previews of it, well that's just being harming yourself because of your 'cause' that you won't support a store without a return policy.
    @jhoff80:

Most of the Palm OS softwares had trial periods. I tried Classic on my Pre and bought it. If there was no trial, I wouldn't fork out $40.00.
    I was worried about the security of the app store, but once I saw no issues in the forums, other than not being able to get refunds for apps people didn't like, I bit the bullet. I was dying for a shopping app since I no longer had splash shopper, I wanted the updated version of tweed and TETRIS!!! I'm considering need for speed after one of the members here did their own commercial demoing the game. I've never been a game person other than tetris or bejewelled, but NFS has me thinking hard about it.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeoleleforpre View Post
    @jhoff80:

Most of the Palm OS softwares had trial periods. I tried Classic on my Pre and bought it. If there was no trial, I wouldn't fork out $40.00.
    Well I wouldn't fork out $40 for Classic regardless, but that's besides the point.

Yeah, we had more trials on Palm OS, but unfortunately having a trial hurts the developer this time around. As mentioned before, they then have to pay the app submittal fee twice, unfortunately.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234