View Poll Results: What is keeping you from buying apps?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Money makes the world go round and I have none for apps.

31 28.18%
  • That will take away from my beer fund.

10 9.09%
  • I need productivity apps. How else am I suppose to work on the go?

25 22.73%
  • I need music apps....

2 1.82%
  • I need more games (I know the NOVA fans are going to vote this one)

5 4.55%
  • The quality of Apps on the WebOS are not worth my money

36 32.73%
  • Palm Classic apps work find for me.

1 0.91%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No.

1.Productivity apps I think I might need, Cant Demo before I buy.

2.Games are too expensive (7bucks+tax) considering I wont be playing all that often.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I'm saving my money for another new palm phone =)
  3.    #43  
    I'm surprised no one is using classic Palm apps for productivity
    Not much I really need, ATM. Calendar is fine for what I need right now, music app does the job (I did the remix patch, tho), couple of games I knew I'd like, one I wasn't sure of, but that's it. Phones for me are a communication device first, and if they do other stuff, great. If they do that stuff really well, even better.
    purely for the fact there is no recourse if you don't like the app you bought and want to uninstall it and get a refund. Android has it right. Palm's way sucks, and I won't buy an app unless I absolutely positively know I want it and will use it. So if that's the way it's going to be, then developers better get on the ball with trial versions, though that's still annoying if the transition to the paid app isn't smooth. Would prefer a 48hr window to return and get a refund. If the idiots at google can figure that out (though it's only a 24hr window) then what does that say about Palm?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Just bought my first app yesterday (for $0.99). I am downloading demo for Asphalt 5 right now, but for the most part I don't think the apps are worth my money. Maybe this demo will prove me wrong.
    Nothing was stopping me, but now I'm just slowing down because I'm too broke.

I think I've bought around 50 apps now, and there's really only 3 (and all were $0.99 each) that I completely regret. Of course, there are probably some of the Mojo games that I might not have bought if I knew that the 3D stuff was coming so soon, but they're still fun, and actually usually more convenient in small doses than the 3D stuff (which means that I have to close all other open cards, wait for the loading times, etc.)

I can understand those of you who won't buy because there isn't a trial for a certain app, definitely. I would prefer trials myself, but at the same time, if you're not an open-source developer, then you need to pay $50 a second time to get the trial submitted, which might make it tough to cover costs.

However, for those of you who are just saying "I won't buy anything because there's nothing good" ... well, you're missing out on a lot of quality stuff because of this.
    Being in Europe is stopping me -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Being in Europe is stopping me -.-
    same....

however the quality of apps is also poor.
    I dont see any reason to pay for an app that will allow me to use msn messenger on my phone! its free on ALL other smartphones.......just wish somebody would release a proper IM app........

its not like palm are going to
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    I'm surprised no one is using classic Palm apps for productivity
    Can you be productive with Classic? I used it for the demo period with some old apps that I loved from my Treo, but the lack of accuracy when trying to touch the tiny onscreen controls made for stylus use with the pad of my finger instead made it more frustrating than useful. I can't imagine this has changed much since Classic came out as I can't see anything they could do in the software to get around this, touch apps and stylus apps just have different design criteria...

(And in the meantime, no paid apps for me, I'm proudly/sadly Canadian...)
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    same....

however the quality of apps is also poor.
    I dont see any reason to pay for an app that will allow me to use msn messenger on my phone! its free on ALL other smartphones.......just wish somebody would release a proper IM app........

its not like palm are going to
    True,

But the unfortunate fact of the matter is there's simply no incentive to, webOS marketshare is so low that there's no real reason to release apps without some sort of financial gain, which you'll recieve from a paid app.

Alot of free apps on the other smartphones are partly due to promoting their own network and/or supported with ads. The ads are worthwhile on a large userbase such as iPhone but on webOS? Hardly =/
    I'd buy quite a few more games if they fell below $5 and if Palm could do something about the "Too Many Cards Open" problem.

That's not to say I'm complaining, I've already bought a good many apps.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    nothing.
    I'm ready to plunk down the cash, but sadly I feel that there just really aren't many good apps out yet. I've already bought a few games (Golf, Avatar, etc.), but as for the productivity apps, they are really lacking. When you look at all the apps that were out for the original PalmOS, the apps had really matured (especially some of the calendar/tasks apps). I mean the current built-in calendar pretty much sucks compared to the advanced functionality of the old PalmOS apps. Sure, the apps are now in the cloud and sync up with Gmail, etc., but frankly we need better features.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Still waiting for productivity apps such as Docs2Go.
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    True,

But the unfortunate fact of the matter is there's simply no incentive to, webOS marketshare is so low that there's no real reason to release apps without some sort of financial gain, which you'll recieve from a paid app.

Alot of free apps on the other smartphones are partly due to promoting their own network and/or supported with ads. The ads are worthwhile on a large userbase such as iPhone but on webOS? Hardly =/
    Still their are 100K users that will spend money and if a company can easily port over an iphone app it would be in their good business sense to do so..
    There should be another option in this poll :
    PAID APPS UNAVAILABLE TO PURCHASE IN MY COUNTRY.
    It's more so the window to return an app and get your money back if you don't like it. If there is no plan in place to make sure it's uninstalled on your phone, then who's fault is that? Palm's. I don't mind paying $1, $2 or $10 for an app. I don't feel I should be stuck with it and out the cash if I don't like it and won't use it. Have a 24-48hr window to offer a refund, and I'd probably buy more apps. Android gets that part right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I can understand those of you who won't buy because there isn't a trial for a certain app, definitely. I would prefer trials myself, but at the same time, if you're not an open-source developer, then you need to pay $50 a second time to get the trial submitted, which might make it tough to cover costs.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's more so the window to return an app and get your money back if you don't like it. If there is no plan in place to make sure it's uninstalled on your phone, then who's fault is that? Palm's. I don't mind paying $1, $2 or $10 for an app. I don't feel I should be stuck with it and out the cash if I don't like it and won't use it. Have a 24-48hr window to offer a refund, and I'd probably buy more apps. Android gets that part right.
    Other than Android (and apparently the newish WM Marketplace), when has any software ever been returnable? I mean, yeah, it'd be nice, but not being able to return software is nothing new. At a physical store, as soon as you open the box, the store won't take it back. On Steam, Direct2Drive, GoodOldGames, the Apple App Store, Nokia Ovi Store, Palm App Catalog, and any number of web software stores don't allow refunds. Microsoft's Marketplace for Mobile and Android Market are the only two that do. Allowing refunds is more an exception than the rule.

It'd be nice, but at the same time it shouldn't necessarily be held against them, and especially not against the developers. Treat it like any other purchase. Do your research, and you should be able to find out if it does what you need it to and see how well it works before purchasing, honestly.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I honestly feel some responsibility to buy apps, and not just from Gameloft. Before the big boys showed up I was having a ball finding and using Homebrew apps. Sure, they weren't as good-looking as some other software I've seen on other platforms but this isn't a beauty contest (or is it?).

I wish I had the dough to buy up every app I want but I have to limit myself. There's just too many other things to pay for, ya know?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast