1.    #1  
    I shut off and deleted my online backup to see if it would help my battery life with the new 1.4. I rebooted the phone now when I turn it on it just sits there and the swirlie just spins. I hit it last night, put it on the charger and went to bed hoping when I got up it would have ran but no dice. Any ideas???
  2.    #2  
    I tried rebooting and still nothing, just hangs there. No one knows of another backup app I could use in it's place?
    Try pulling the battery to see if it helps?

For contacts, you could use Google.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I am having the same issue does anyone have any suggestions in regards to what could be causing Backup to just keep spinning when it is turned back on. I have tried several restarts, battery pulls, I have even been selectively removing some apps, patches, etc. but all I get is the big spinning wheel. I have let it run all night thinking it was a long process but no luck...........PLEASE HELP
    You could always doctor your phone, if worse comes to worse.
    That should fix it.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    I don't want to lose contacts, and tasks as well as other info, any other ideas?
    Move all your contacts onto Google and then doctor your phone.
    You'll be able to restore your contacts setting up Google when your phone is running again.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Thanks for your help, do you know how I get my google contacts to go into the palm acct. and is there a way to save my tasks; I use it as a type of journal and there are many items in "tasks"
    When you activate your phone it will ask you to sign into your Google account, as well as Facebook, and Yahoo, etc.
    As long as you have all your contacts in Google, you should be good to go.

For the tasks, I don't know, I would say do a backup...but you can't obviously.
    Doctoring to get a feature I am working around anyway seems like putting the cart first, I really need to find what is causing the issue... possibly a patch or app.
  11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I've had the same issue for about 1 month now. I've been far too busy though to investigate. I tried reboots and battery pulls but my Backup no longer works.
    I haven't had backup for a while now. Palm is supposedly looking into it but I haven't heard anything on progress.
    I solved the issue on my phone:
    When I ran the "Emergency File Verification Patch" in Preware I received an error that I think tells me what files are in need of replacing - the important part of the IPKG Log reeds:

Postinst
    Detected stock files modified via a method other than supported patch technologies:

It listed 3 files then I followed these great instructions to replace them:
    you need:

7zip
    webosdoctor(which will download when you first open webos quick install)
    webos quick install (available here on precentral)

Originally Posted by StoneRyno
    Steps to replace altered files with originals when no other options work

1. After installing 7zip (a free unzipping utility) right click on the doctor jar file and choose open archive under the 7zip section of the menu. This will open a file explorer like window of the contents.
    2. From there you will double click on the resources folder.
    3. Then double click on webOS.tar (this will have a progress popup as it temp uncompresses the contents for viewing).
    4. Double click the "." folder.
    5. Double click the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz file next.
    6. Then double click the nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar (another progress dialog will popup).
    7. Then double click on the "." folder.
    8. At this point you are looking at the directory structure seen on the device you will follow the same path here as the path for the file you need to replace on the device.
    7. Once you have arrived to the folder containing the file you need click to select it.
    8. Click the extract button in the tool bar at the top of the window.
    9. Pick a place to save it to so you remember where it is to copy to the device from webos quick install.
    10. Put your device in dev mode and once the restart completes plug in into the USB of the PC.
    11. Open webos quick install and choose send file from the tools menu.
    12. Click the button to choose the file extracted from the doctor jar.
    13. Type the path to the file to be replaced on the device (for example usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/). The path is seen in the patch file for each file the patch alters.
    14. Click send to device.
    15. Repeat steps for each file the patch you need to reverse altered.

AND VOILA I HAD BACKUP AFTER A RESTART!

Thanks for everyones help this community is AMAZING!
    PS If this actually works for you a thanks to me and / or StoneRyno is always appreciated
  15. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Cool I'll have to give this a shot.
    Vij - any luck?