Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's still just a rumor and not a very strong one.

To take a guess, maybe HTC's lawsuit will be to Palm's benefit, delaying development enough that Palm can squeeze in there.

That this article never mentions a source doesn't help. Neither does the poor English.
    I'd love to believe this, but i think that might be a little na´ve......hmmm.... awesome find though, and if this is true, it could be the answer to palm's current woe's
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    It would be nice but a couple things to think of

1. What are the current 4G markets and thus what is the demand for a premium phone?
    2. What are the expansion plans for 4G? Does Sprint have the billions needed?
    3. What is the future of Wimax? Will Sprint shift to LTE so they are not the only major Wimax player in the US? Certainly seems more likely.

I think it is great that Palm is partnering with Sprint and I think we can see now why they have chosen to work with Sprint (Verizon really seems behind their product ...). Anyway, let's hope it is good news regardless.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post

1. What are the current 4G markets and thus what is the demand for a premium phone?
    3. What is the future of Wimax? Will Sprint shift to LTE so they are not the only major Wimax player in the US? Certainly seems more likely.

I think it is great that Palm is partnering with Sprint and I think we can see now why they have chosen to work with Sprint (Verizon really seems behind their product ...). Anyway, let's hope it is good news regardless.
    I agree. Without the infrastructure a new radio in the phone is meaningless.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    That were some of the wurst gramer I done seen fer a while.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post

1. May the end of the year mostly all major markets will be online. Sprint has never really been good in the rural areas anyway. "If you build it they will come" I believe 4g being included on smartphone is more for mobile hotspot services.

2. Yes sprint is losing money but they are making enough for business to continue by far a lot of stories are blown over. From sprint/clear: service in "many" markets this year, with several notables among the lot: Boston, Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco and Washington, DC

3. Wimax will be around one way or another. WiMax was supposed to be a backhaul service for different providers. Sprints head start into 4g can be very successful for them; if not they have said it wouldn't be very hard to convert over to LTE.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Why make a wimax phone? It's taking an already small market (Sprint subscribers) and making it even smaller (Wimax coverage). Unless they do it with little/no cost to the end user, it's just not worth it.
    Sprint would be smart to focus on SF and NYC with the woes ATT sees there. Most of the gripes about the iphone and att are in those two spots. If Sprint had a reliable 4g network in those cities with a great phone they could make alot of inroads.
    If Sprint does 4g right, and fast enough[meaning they implement it before anyone else can first], they will wallop on Verizon and everyone else.

Period.

If Palm is involved in it, and they do their part correctly, Palm may in fact wallop on Apple, Google.

Anyone who doesn't think there's a market for faster internet on handsets is... lol.... idkk I guess we'll say "silly/naive" ;]
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 03/05/2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I've used WiMax in Chicago area and it was great I didn't have problem playing using xbox live while someone else was download and on the internet.

Its also important to remember that sprint isn't the only company included. They are the biggest share holder, but comcast is living the service and intel is a pimping the chips.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I think wimaax only makes sense with a tablet/netbook type device. Not on the phone.

If it's just a Pre with Wimax, I think I'll pass. Palm needs to innovate with a Palk pad with wimaax. And they need to innovate soon by the way things have been going financially. They need to tickle people's imagination again.
    I really have the opposite take on this. I think it's a complete no brainer that Palm will make a Wimax version of their next device. Otherwise, given Sprint's commitment to the technology, Palm might as well not make a Sprint device at all.

To my mind, barring something about 4G tech that I don't understand, there's absolutely no essential difference between supporting both Wimax and LTE and supporting both CDMA and GSM.

My prediction: we'll be getting a new Palm device (Pre 2 or some other name) around June, and it will be a Sprint Wimax device. And, it will sell like hotcakes, because it will be truly differentiated from everything else out there. (Almost everything: HTC will release an Android 4G phone as well; this lawsuit won't slow them down in the short term.)
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Coming out with a new phone with WiMax and an easy to use PDK early this summer could help with Palm's tenuous future. If the soon-to-be released PDK quickly and easily ports iPhone apps then Palm's app catalog could leap into the tens-of thousands by years end. As a result, Palm could start to go head-to-head with the iPhone and Android phones.

1. With a competitive app catalog iPhone and Android phones will no longer be able to disparage Palm phones by saying, "can your phone do that?" or "there's an app for that."
    2. Sprint has always had the most competitive pricing, so having a phone that would not be just an "iPhone light," would make a win-win deal for the consumer.
    3. WiMax is something that Sprint/Palm will have that the other's do not have. This could attract power users. Power users create a lot of buzz for a phone.
    4. Any phone has to be a better build than the current Pre. It would likely have to be have a slab, as that is where all of the attention seems to be going. It would be great if they released two phones at the same time, though. A slab and one with a physical keyboard to attract the Blackberry crowd.

I've been a Palm user since the original Palm Pilot. Even though it is not the same company, I really like what the current leadership has done to try to save it from seemingly inevitable doom. Because of a new home and baby, I've been drooling on the sidelines for a new phone. This summer looks like to be the time to finally get rid of my 755p. Hopefully, I can make the move to a great new Palm phone rather than considering one of the many Android options.
    I think people are overestimating how much the masses care about 4G (over 3G). It still comes down to having a cool looking well built device and knowing how to market.

But do agree you have to win over the geeks and people who will sell the devices first.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think people are overestimating how much the masses care about 4G (over 3G). It still comes down to having a cool looking well built device and knowing how to market.
    Agreed. I think the PDK and a cool and well-built device will be more important. However 4G would be a nice bonus and a buzz creator.
    Do you think they will come out with WebOS 2.0 at the same time of this phone release? Makes sense. I doubt they are going to crawl their way to 2.0 with 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8.....you get the point. A larger device with a larger screen is what I seem coming.

New phone upgrade in June! Can't wait to see what comes of this news.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention Flash 10.1. That will also be out before, at near, the release of a new phone. iPhone? Not gonna happen.
    If it happens, I think it will add the "cool" factor for Palm, but I also believe that alone would only help marginally with sales. On the other hand, if the phone has enough other "wow" factors, it could be a very nice package.

One thing that 4g will bring (if I understood the Clear exec I spoke with, and if he was correct), 4g phones on Clear, when they come, will use VOIP for voice; thus you'd have the ability to browse and talk at the same time.

My understanding was not only would 4G have VOIP, it would use VOIP exclusively. I was surprised by that, but it makes sense.
    Sprint has WiMax (aka 4g) in most major NFL cities, and will have it in many more by the end of the year. As long as any 4g phone also has a 3g radio in it, I think it will do just fine.

Sprint and Palm have an opportunity to be the first handset on 4g, but that will only get them so far. Sprint needs to have multiple 4g handsets, expand coverage areas and have the back haul bandwidth to support the users. Only then will it begin to steal subscribers from other providers.

Sprint will not ever switch to LTE. They own 51% of Clear and have been a huge part of developing the WiMax standard.

Start to think of WiMax like 4g CDMA and LTE is 4g GSM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast