Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can someone who is informed tell me if there are any other wireless events in the next 6 months? ie...is CTIA the only major event that Palm would announce new hardware?

The Barcelona conference already happened i beleive, are there others in the summer? Thank you...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh20 View Post
    Can someone who is informed tell me if there are any other wireless events in the next 6 months? ie...is CTIA the only major event that Palm would announce new hardware?

The Barcelona conference already happened i beleive, are there others in the summer? Thank you...
    I think Palm will hold their own event for their next-gen "Pre" device (again, whatever it's called). And, the timing will be dictated by the device itself--once they're ready to release, they'll announce.

What Palm simply _cannot_ do is pre-announce by more than 30 days. They just cannot afford to cannibalize the sales of their current devices. Even Apple doesn't pre-announce iPhones, and they could afford to take a few months' hit on sales.

And, Palm will keep this as secret as humanly possible. There might be rumors like we're getting now, but Palm knows that killing Pre and Pixi sales today could be deadly for them. We won't find out about this new device until it's ready to be ordered.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Don't forget the Walmart deal.

In 2008 Sprint, Intel, Comcast, Time Warner, Clear Wire & Bright House joined and later formed a group called Clear. This group has been trying to close a deal with Walmart. The reception of WiMax can have a range of around 9-10 miles. There are also new advances being tested that may boost that range to 40 miles. When you think about Walmart/Sams Club stores in the populated areas they are in and draw a 9 mile circle around them, you will find that the circles will cover most populated areas. Walmart as we all know likes making BIG money. They also have the legal team in place to get the permits for small towers at Walmart/Sams Club locations. If this deal were to happen, the rate of growth for WiMax would grow so fast, it may even seem like it happened overnight.

If Sprint and Palm were to be the companies of choice for this ultra fast network, The shift of customers could be a huge gain for all involved. We might be seeing that once in a life time stock purchase too.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What Palm simply _cannot_ do is pre-announce by more than 30 days. They just cannot afford to cannibalize the sales of their current devices.
    Thanks and great point...however, Palm investors/wallstreet is very eager to hear Palm's future plans. Their falling stock price may trump current sales as current sales are already baked into the $6 stock price.

To answer my own question i found that CTIA is the only major wireless conference until Sept and Oct. SO unless Palm is waiting until Holiday season, i think they may announce something at CTIA. I don't believe they will have their own even to announce it ala Apple, IMO.
    40 mile range sounds great 9-10 not so much lmao

i hope this happens, i think there is a walmart within the 9-10 mile range from my house lol

edit *** yay, it's exactly 9 miles from my house lmao make it happen
    Last edited by 05typesdc5; 03/05/2010 at 12:52 PM.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think people are overestimating how much the masses care about 4G (over 3G).
    I think that's a ridiculous comment and position.

Compare the amount of people who have Dial up to Cable.

4g is that much faster than 3g.

3g really isn't THAT fast. It's decent, it's nice to have but 4g will be the next biggest hit.

Anytime someone suggests that the next generation of a service isn't going to be a big hit I laugh.

Did the masses care about 2g to 3g? Yes.
    Why wouldn't they on 3g to 4g?

Bigger, better, faster is ALWAYS in demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

BS, i was hoping they release a 2g 155mhz palm pre 2 so obviously the masses do care about 2g (sarcasm)

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I think that's a ridiculous comment and position.

Compare the amount of people who have Dial up to Cable.

4g is that much faster than 3g.

3g really isn't THAT fast. It's decent, it's nice to have but 4g will be the next biggest hit.

Anytime someone suggests that the next generation of a service isn't going to be a big hit I laugh.

Not only is bigger, better, faster always in demand, availability produces greater demand. Here's what I mean:

I was around when 1200baud modems were the "new" thing. Those us that had them (yeah, I bought a Hayes 1200b for over $500!!) could actually hit web sites that had pictures and not fall asleep waiting for them to load. However, there weren't that many web sites that had pictures.

Once the faster modems became popular, so did pictures. As a matter of fact, they became commonplace.

As a new speed "standard" came into being, the nextgen would be available, there would be a few features that required it the faster speed. The new speed would increase in demand, and more "things" appeared that required it, until the "nextgen" became the new minimum requirement.

That's the way of the IT world, and it's going to happen with 4g and everyotherG.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ....Once the faster modems became popular, so did pictures. As a matter of fact, they became commonplace.

That's the way of the IT world, and it's going to happen with 4g and everyotherG.
    I was there at the beginning also on the news boards of that time with my high end amber monitor lol. Speed is everything. Look at Google and the test run they are going to do of the 1g/sec fiber network.

Also speed is money. The faster the data moves has many bennys.
    Move more traffic in the same amount of time.
    Less cells on towers and or less cell towers
    Movement of customers to the faster service.
    The end is that it equates to more money for the companies that control the service.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12