1.    #1  
    i'm just wondering if Palm made changes to how the CPU clocks up and down to save battery... and because of this causes the phone to act laggy at times?

I don't have one shred of evidence or have looked for any... Not even Columbo would listen to me on this.. But just a crazy shot in the dark... as i've seen a few posts now say that random crashes are now fixed by clocking the phone a little faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    And if you do 600 MHz it's ruining your Pre's life span.

For right now it's best to stay stock.
    Not accurate, the SDL based apps (3D games) clock the Pre at 600Mhz, and many tests have determined that 600Mhz does not produce substantial increases in wear.

And it appears the cpu scaling offered by the community is more stable with 1.4

However, that's not the reason the Pre is laggy as it isn't even enabled stock, the reason is the CPU does the graphical rendering so not only is it more intensive than using the GPU as it isn't not optimized for that kind of work, but it has to do alot of other stuff in the background and simply can't always succeed.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Not accurate, the SDL based apps (3D games) clock the Pre at 600Mhz, and many tests have determined that 600Mhz does not produce substantial increases in wear.

And it appears the cpu scaling offered by the community is more stable with 1.4

However, that's not the reason the Pre is laggy as it isn't even enabled stock.
    I didn't word it correctly... but i think that Palm made changes to CPU usage/power management that may have made a negate impact.

I think the cpu scaling people are doing good!! i may give it a shot.
    Well that's just inconvenient, I deleted my post a little too late.
    I realized overclocking was not really mentioned here...

The Pre runs at 500MHz stock
    Period, I don't think it effects the lag at all.
    And yes, true. 3D games do run at 600MHz.

Running the whole phone at 600MHz on 1.4, in my opinion will shorten the life span, not by a lot, and clearly isn't noticeable.