View Poll Results: How often do you recieve late or missed calls and texts on your Sprint Palm Pre?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Frequently!

    49 31.82%
  • Rarely

    53 34.42%
  • Not at all...I think

    52 33.77%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 107
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRQTekt View Post
    We will just have to agree to disagree because you're telling me that changing settings on my device means it's a network problem, while I'm telling you that the settings on the device had to change to interface correctly with the network making it a device programming problem.
    Without knowing the specifics of your customized settings, my best guess is that (among other tweaks, perhaps) you reduced the Slot Cycle Index, to force more frequent tower polling?

    I don't think it's fair to consider this a black-and-white, phone vs. network issue. The fact is, default phone settings are inherently a compromise - between, for example, reducing call set-up time at the possible expense of battery life. If the vast majority of users are in coverage areas/scenarios where less-aggressive network parameters don't cause them problems, and nearly *everyone* is constantly crying for better battery life, then I can't really fault Palm/Sprint for their default choices. It sounds, in your case, that this compromise impacted you more negatively - but I don't see the point of ranting about how the phone sucks, when it can be (and has been) easily tweaked to better serve your specific priorities.

    As others have pointed out, if you're expecting 100% reliability from *any* phone or network, you're going to be going through a lot of them in frustration, and still end up disappointed.

    I'm glad you found a solution - it might have even been useful to others, if you were as willing to post the details of *it* as you were to just rant about the problem, like it was some kind of universal defect.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    ...but I don't see the point of ranting about how the phone sucks, when it can be (and has been) easily tweaked to better serve your specific priorities.
    Never did I rant about how the Palm Pre sucks. In my OP I was stating my problem (rather heatedly and justifiably so), and then asked if this is a recent Sprint Network issue, or just an issue with the Palm Pre. Turns out it was a problem with MY Palm Pre as I don't speak for the masses.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    As others have pointed out, if you're expecting 100% reliability from *any* phone or network, you're going to be going through a lot of them in frustration, and still end up disappointed.
    Very true. But if one goes for 7-8 years without a single major problem, and then suddenly (with the purchase of this phone) has a drastic drop in reliability...wouldn't it be a natural reaction to consider the phone to be the perp? That seems very logical to me.

    Expecting 100% reliability, no. Expecting 72% or more when I'm in a Sprint coverage hot bed, guilty. Anyone who's not must be plain crazy, otherwise what are you paying for?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    I'm glad you found a solution - it might have even been useful to others, if you were as willing to post the details of *it* as you were to just rant about the problem, like it was some kind of universal defect.
    Serious Sprint Network Issues Going Down

    Hope this helps.
    Y la gente me dice que el uso de la busqueda.
    Last edited by TheRQTekt; 03/05/2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...
  3. shcole's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Like I said you made hacks to change your PRE, and when its was updated(Which changes all kinds of coding within the phone), your hacks no longer worked.

    That is human error for not remembering to make the same hacks again, which obviously was your solution after all.
    I would not bother trying to point out the obvious to him, he is one of those folks who has never been wrong in his entire life, and everything is someone else's fault in his world....just leave him to it and

    Note his poll, his choices are basically, you agree with him, or you are wrong! LOL.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRQTekt View Post
    It's one of the first things I did, among countless other checks before ranting.

    At any rate I fixed the problem...

    I didn't think that after the update they would change my network settings. I thought it was something I'd have to do only once. I had to go in and re-hack the settings, and now everything is working great again.

    I performed 30 call tests (15 Land/15 Cell) and also 30 text message tests over a 6hr time span. The phone responded everytime, with no more fails. I'll be doing the test again tonight to make sure I have a good data set.

    So yes people...in the end it was something wrong with the phone, as I stated. The stock settings weren't interfacing with the network around me correctly and had to be hacked in order to function properly.

    Haven't had a MAJOR network problem from Sprint in the almost 8 years I've had them (unless you count that whole East Coast Blackout lol)...so I didn't believe it was them.
    hey how do i update my network settings? i had way to many issues with my old samsung a900 in the past but i noticed with the palm pre its been very less. i do believe its sprints fault. my friend has att and i called him right in front of him and he didnt recieve it. but also i get 3g at my house sometimes then all of sudden it drops to 1 bar. do you know how i can maybe fix that. and sometimes i get 3g with zero bars.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    I would not bother trying to point out the obvious to him, he is one of those folks who has never been wrong in his entire life, and everything is someone else's fault in his world....just leave him to it and

    Note his poll, his choices are basically, you agree with him, or you are wrong! LOL.
    Yep. Seems to be the go to argument for anyone at the tail end instead of the answering of the original question which is now solved. Thanks though.
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...
  6. shcole's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #66  
    Just so we are all clear....it is your contention that you can be rude, and openly state you don't care who it offends, and you can make a poll that provides the choices of either agreeing with you or being wrong, and yet we are all supposed to provide you with polite caring responses to solve your issues. Did I get that about right?
    Add to that the drama of missing a single phone call will ruin your life...please. If they wanted to offer you the job, or she wanted to marry you or what ever it was, they would leave you a message, if not, they didn't want you that badly. So get over your self, and politely ask for help next time and you will get it. Or you can rant, insult and cry and get flamed....your choice.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by shcole View Post
    Just so we are all clear....it is your contention that you can be rude, and openly state you don't care who it offends, and you can make a poll that provides the choices of either agreeing with you or being wrong, and yet we are all supposed to provide you with polite caring responses to solve your issues. Did I get that about right?
    Add to that the drama of missing a single phone call will ruin your life...please. If they wanted to offer you the job, or she wanted to marry you or what ever it was, they would leave you a message, if not, they didn't want you that badly. So get over your self, and politely ask for help next time and you will get it. Or you can rant, insult and cry and get flamed....your choice.
    Your words, not mine. Ones I simply cannot agree with.

    I will, however, agree with myself in saying that the pernicious effect of the internet has caused you to get carried away in what you think is a battle of wits when in reality yours were gone form the start when you typed your first sentence.

    You assume they didn't leave a message. You assume that I didn't call back. You assume that I'm offending someone. You seem assume a lot of things, but in reality a message was left. I did call back. And I handled things on that front...not that the outcome of that situation was any of your business, but since you were so privy...

    And I can also tell you must have read nothing but the first sentence of my original post because your not-so-well thought out argument stands completely perpendicular to anything that I have mentioned or said when you could have merely said...nothing at all.

    Myself on the other hand? This is my thread, and as such I'm obliged to respond to anyone who comments...good or bad. It would be rude to do anything different.
    Tomorrow I'll be me again...
  8. shcole's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #68  
    okay, you enjoy being perfect in life....have a good one.
  9. #69  
    Not sure whats up with the phone app, but I have missed a few calls here and there. I go to open the Phone app, and it just stays at the loading screen, NEVER loading. Restart fixes it, and all of a sudden, flood of Text/VMs will come through. Sort of a pain IMHO, since you know, I did buy this to use as a phone too. >_> Plus, its getting me in trouble with people, one of them being my girlfriend!
  10. rochdaker's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #70  
    Was having reception issues back in late May last year, Sprint suggested going to the PRE to solve that....Nope made it worse...Kind enough to send out an air Rave for Free, Great signal in the house, but that's when I started missing calls, usually happens in the morning, even had friends come over to see if I was alright, because it would go straight to VM... Happened yesterday afternoon too.... still not sure why.
  11. #71  
    This has been happening to me and my wife since 1.4, just a cpl of times. The one things Iv always noticed with sprint ( coming from nextel ) is that the phone will ring about 6-9 times on my end before it ever rings on the sprint end im calling, sometime people hang up thinking some one wont be answering, at least some times I do
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Sprint isn't a huge network compared to AT&T and Verizon. In fact if you check out Sprint's coverage area, it's pretty minimal covering only highly populated areas and specific markets. If you need good coverage Sprint really isn't a great service for nationwide support. My best advice to you would to get a Go Phone for travel use if you continually need it.
    you have no idea what you are talking about.
    1. Sprints network is large, I have traveled the entire nation and almost always on sprint signal.
    2. when I am not on sprint signal I am on Verizon or Alltel working 100% something that verizon will NOT do on a sprint only area(where I live)
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Sprint isn't a huge network compared to AT&T and Verizon. In fact if you check out Sprint's coverage area, it's pretty minimal covering only highly populated areas and specific markets. If you need good coverage Sprint really isn't a great service for nationwide support. My best advice to you would to get a Go Phone for travel use if you continually need it.
    Yeah, Steph3n is right. You have NO idea what you're talking about.

    Sprint's 3g coverage is second only to Verizon. That's just an example of how big Sprint's network is.

    [By the way, that information is off of Verizon's coverage map comparison site]
  14. #74  
    i too missed some calls that equaled money [i work on call] they said it would ring and ring but it never rang on my emd. and later on that night i got some text messages that were sent earlier in the day.

    is the fix just updating the network settings and prl?

    i had a centro and it wouldnt happen that much from what i remember, then i got an htc touch pro and it would happen all the time untill i downloaded an updated signal radio for it and that stopped the problem. i need a fix. i cant be havin this. landline is out the question.
  15. twiktor's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by twiktor View Post
    I can't even figure out what settings this one crowd hacked and why the other crowd is so ****ed.

    It's like 2 Vegas Strippers arguing over politics . . they keep at it forever while everyone in the vicinity suddenly develops anxiety disorders and eventual emotional breakdowns while still hanging on every word hoping for it to make sense, but knowing that there is no Santa Claus.

    Told ya. Now they are gonna just ignore each other by staring at each other across the room and I want my dollar back.
  16. #76  
    ok, I've been having missed calls and late txts recently as well.

    when I mean missed calls I mean the call never shows up in the call log on the phone but I'm told after the fact that I'm called multiple times.

    it almost seems to happen when the phone is "sleeping" but I do know I didn't have this trouble before the 1.4 update.


    on sprint in the metro NYC area. Have the wifi sleep option ON. Had free my tether installed and not sure if I got a clean uninstall.
  17. #77  
    Most noticed reasons for my missed calls (all fairly obvious):

    - Ringer was set to silent and I did not feel the vibration. This happens over and over. I set to silent at night and forget to change and miss calls in the a.m.
    - No signal - yea - still happens occasionally.
    - call comes in while I am making a call. Happens at least once a day.

    I use GV for both my voicemail and now for my main number so I can answer the land line when I am at one. GV texts me and emails me so I can see pretty quickly who called and get a decent idea of their message. I play the messages back online from my laptop mostly. Really have not checked actual VM more than 2-3 times since I switched to GV for VM. This helps get you your missed calls a LOT faster.

    Just my 2Cents.
    ETUTREO300
  18. forcvcr's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #78  
    had same problems missed valls and txt, this problem also started after 1.4 for me too
  19. kshadeed's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #79  
    The same thing happened 2 me!!! Sprint is ****ing me off!
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by kshadeed View Post
    The same thing happened 2 me!!! Sprint is ****ing me off!
    Why is it Sprint's fault?....

    If it was Sprint's fault shouldn't everyone have dropped calls, late text's and so on. The poll shows that the majority of people are not having problems.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 03/07/2010 at 01:31 PM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions