Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all the recent talk of Palm's tenuous financial and market status, it began to get me thinking of what really would happen if the Palm franchise didn't survive the coming year and financially the company couldn't survive. What would become of WebOS and the users of their phones?

My guess is that no matter the outcome, users of WebOS are safe in terms of the future. The OS is so good, some company out there would buy the rights, and start putting it on their own hardware? Anyone else share this type of optimism (perhaps I'm delusional). Or do you think that if Palm went under, we'd all be out of luck?
    It's near impossible, but if I could get webOS on a device with the build quality of my old Nokia e51, I'd be in heaven.
    im wit u on that one, theres gonna b a company outhere that will NOT let the webos go to waste.....is got too much potential
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    someone could buy palm just to keep webos from getting into anyone elses hands; they could also buy palm to get at its patent cache

that said, there are many groups that have a deep interest in palm failing, and a lot of the reports of its death are greatly exaggerated
    Palm has enough money to keep them going for a few more years. They have at least 3 or 4 maybe even 5 more phones to bring out before you can call them dead, which is very doubtful. A company that size (small in the cell phone world) but non the less a pretty big company doesn't just go bankrupt in a month because of poor sales.

Also why would i believe analyts who says anything about palms future, no one can tell the future so it's pointless on trying too, If they could they would of stopped the recession from hitting.
    PALM IS ALIVE AND WILL BE ALIVE FOR A LONG TIME. THE WORLD IS NOT COMING TO AN END!

sorry had to. There is a big difference between falling stocks and a company not surviving.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

+1 stocks only tell part of the story
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I have a hard time listening to all the FAIL talks...however, I think a linking of WebOS & Android would KICK A!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    +1 stocks only tell part of the story
    True, but if stock prices fall enough, a company can do a buy out and I don't believe Palm can do too much about it as it is a publicly traded stock.

Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I have a hard time listening to all the FAIL talks...however, I think a linking of WebOS & Android would KICK A!!!!!
    I also would love this. But I am currently in favor of HTC or Nokia buying Palm. Either of those companies hardware running WebOS would be pure awesomeness!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Truly, after Apple sued HTC AND Nokia, the above statement by Complex Pants makes a whole lotta sense. Any of these who acquire Palm get a massive arsenal of patents to combat Apple, plus an awesome OS. HTC will obviously benefit much more than Nokia, having very few (or none?) OS-related patents...

I also get the feeling sometimes that there are big sharks just waiting for Palm to become a good deal - LG, Sony-Ericsson and other new players (or large Japanese Cos) can't be discounted...
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'm sure if Palm were to really be in trouble they'd make the smart business decision to spin off their hardware and software segments into totally separate companies. That way one company could focus solely on hardware while the other on software. Then the two could work together in harmony while both companies grow bigger and bigger. Who knows, a much larger company could even come along and buy one of these companies and make things even better. Think it'll work?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    you know, I would love to see webos on sony's hardware
    ummm...didnt palm do that the first time around with palm OS?
  14. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    ummm...didnt palm do that the first time around with palm OS?
    LOL @ the Clie reference ^^^

I, also, don't believe in Palm's demise (just yet)... We'll see, I'm betting Rubinstein & company have a few more ideas up their sleeves.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the intellectual property rights would be sold, the proceeds paying back Palm's creditors to the extent possible. that is the way you might see webos on a non-palm phone
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    PALM IS ALIVE AND WILL BE ALIVE FOR A LONG TIME. THE WORLD IS NOT COMING TO AN END!

sorry had to. There is a big difference between falling stocks and a company not surviving.
    +1. Most people don't know the diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    you know, I would love to see webos on sony's hardware
    You got it! Palm/Handspring have never been know for making the best hardware. However, SONY! Dude! They do know how to make awesome hardware! I loved my Clies sooo much..!! You wouldn't believe what these PDA's meant to me.

Palm! You need to make better hardware or your future is lost!
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    You got it! Palm/Handspring have never been know for making the best hardware. However, SONY! Dude! They do know how to make awesome hardware! I loved my Clies sooo much..!! You wouldn't believe what these PDA's meant to me.

Palm! You need to make better hardware or your future is lost!
    I kinda disagree. The reason I went with Palm/Handspring way back when was the hardware, OS I was kinda give and take on. Palm also has a solid reputation for having one of the best keyboards in the business, RIM has only recently been compared as being close to the feel of a Palm.

If Palm were to be purchased, it would likely be for WebOS, and not for the hardware, that much I can agree on, but who knows. If it were me, I'd be looking at WebOS with my eyeball on putting it on my own design, tailored to my device specs, marketed with my own interface tweaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    [I]Cranky Geeks Episode 208 (March 3) 9:35
    "Is Palm doomed?"
    "Yes"
    "Yeah"
    "Yes"
    "OK, next story. [laughing]..."

http://m.podshow.com/media/19904/epi...03-03-2010.mp3
    Whew! I'm so glad to see this, because whenever Dvorak predicts something, you're usually safest to assume the opposite. This therefore means that Palm is destined to be a huge success.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    These "what ifs" crack me up, as the old saying goes, "what if the Queen had balls, would she be King?"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast