Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    These "what ifs" crack me up, as the old saying goes, "what if the Queen had balls, would she be King?"
    No, she'd be Hillary Clinton.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Whew! I'm so glad to see this, because whenever Dvorak predicts something, you're usually safest to assume the opposite. This therefore means that Palm is destined to be a huge success.
    LOL! wynand32, glad I'm not the only one thinking that.
  3. neo999's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #23  
    Don't get me wrong, i love palm. Had several pilots, 1 clie and a treo 650, But i fail to understand why they released a subpar device and added functionality to it after the fact. Don't know if it was lack of funding/time/resources or something else. I they had those things and didn't bother releasing all that we wanted, then that was mismanagement in my opinion. The Pre could have slaughtered IMO if it had decent calendar and video at Sprint launch. Things wouldn't nearly have been so bad now. Wouldn't have to spend so much time catching up and dedicated they're talents to pulling ahead. My 2 cents. Hopefully we won't have week 3 of doom...
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by neo999 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i love palm. Had several pilots, 1 clie and a treo 650, But i fail to understand why they released a subpar device and added functionality to it after the fact. Don't know if it was lack of funding/time/resources or something else. I they had those things and didn't bother releasing all that we wanted, then that was mismanagement in my opinion. The Pre could have slaughtered IMO if it had decent calendar and video at Sprint launch. Things wouldn't nearly have been so bad now. Wouldn't have to spend so much time catching up and dedicated they're talents to pulling ahead. My 2 cents. Hopefully we won't have week 3 of doom...
    subpar??

    I spent 20 minutes on my buddies Hero today. Sorry, my pre isn't "subpar". Maybe yours is, but mine is Da Bomb!
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
  5. #25  
    No one felt petty the time PalmOS died.
    Same as WebOS if it die.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    No one felt petty the time PalmOS died.
    Same as WebOS if it die.
    except, when PalmOS died, iPhone OS smacked it to pieces. as it stands now, iPhone OS, Android, and WebOS are very comparable. In fact, WebOS's use of "synergy" is a big plus for me regarding multiple gmail/google app/exchange accounts. granted, it was a stupid name, I hate the term.

    If palm were to go belly up in 1.5yrs, it would be a huge loss IMO. The competition is great.

    However, all this doesn't really matter. as much as I'd like to believe someone would not let webOS die... even if it was bought, I bet it will be a no name company that mucks it all up anyway. Or, apple will buy it. and sit on it.
  7. #27  
    Palm would not be bought for webOS, but for patent portfolio, depending on direction of Apple vs Nokia and HTC, one of them snapping up Palm is a growing possibility. nokia has a vast patent portfolio as well, so I'd put HTC at the forefront of that...

    Even if they don't buy, I'd not be surprised to see some licensing of patents and IP that result in a cash infusion, as it will be cheaper than a settlement or judgment against them.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  8. #28  
    imagine apples portfilio if they bought palm
  9. #29  
    If HTC bought Palm, you better believe that you would see some HTC built WebOS devices, which would be sweet imo.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    imagine apples portfilio if they bought palm
    I don't want to imagine that, too scary to see competition quashed!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    imagine apples portfilio if they bought palm
    theyd probably just buy palm to hide webos so that noone could use it against them
  12. #32  
    apple would be more powerful than fricking god
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthtoad05 View Post
    No, she'd be Hillary Clinton.
    Or she would be Janet Reno. Either one would be the correct answer.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    except, when PalmOS died, iPhone OS smacked it to pieces. as it stands now, iPhone OS, Android, and WebOS are very comparable. In fact, WebOS's use of "synergy" is a big plus for me regarding multiple gmail/google app/exchange accounts. granted, it was a stupid name, I hate the term.

    If palm were to go belly up in 1.5yrs, it would be a huge loss IMO. The competition is great.

    However, all this doesn't really matter. as much as I'd like to believe someone would not let webOS die... even if it was bought, I bet it will be a no name company that mucks it all up anyway. Or, apple will buy it. and sit on it.
    PalmOS was dead before the iPhone. It hung on while the newer platforms like iPhone, Android, and WebOS were developed, but the PalmOS didn't see significant development or adoption after Palm started shipping the Windows-based Treo Wx.

    PalmOS hung on because many of us loved its speed and functionality for contact and calendar mgmt. We prayed (and continue to pray) that Palm would leapfrog everyone with their next product. It took too long, but WebOS is really a generation ahead of Google and Apple... but Palm doesn't have the resources to retain that lead by themselves.

    I've often wondered if Nokia couldn't buy them, and postion WebOS as the next generation of Simbian... SimbianXP, or Simbian-Vista, or Simbian7...

    Whatever, if Sony and Nokia got behind it... you'd have some serious muscle to keep Apple and Google from winning based on how much money and resources they have to throw at their products...

    ...Simbian2000, Simbian95... One of those names should work. I'll see if I can pull a focus group together...
  15. #35  
    Intel should buy WebOS if Palm goes down.
    Last edited by JohnnyPre; 03/15/2010 at 05:32 PM.
  16. #36  
    WebOS is prolly the best mobile OS out there so WebOS will live for a LONG time. Palm is another story but either way someone will pickup the OS to keep that going. Stock is perdy low now so I vote webos internals should buy them out!
  17. #37  
    Symbian has released the road map in Feb. And showed screen shots, and phones, and the direction it is taking "QT".....

    Maemo has merged with Intel for MeeGo.

    Nokia is working with Intel... This gets confusing. Isn't nokia behind symbian and maemo? And now intel's meego?

    so... Why not Palm's webos... :-)
  18. leroove's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #38  
    If HTC bought Palm, you better believe that you would see some HTC built WebOS devices, which would be sweet imo.
    Nexus One + WebOS =
  19.    #39  
    Seems like my thread started 2 weeks ago might again be worthy of a second look....

    Who's gonna buy Palm? Better question, and this should be addressed seriously and not in a fantasy world, who is the best partner for what Palm has in its war chest?

    Frankly, and it doesn't feel like the sexiest buyer, I think those proposing HP make the most sense. They have nothing of their own including lagging phone hardware. All the others mentioned (including HTC with Sense) have way too much invested in their own stuff to really want to take WebOS and Palm.

    But I'm open to other ideas? HTC is certainly the most attractive because of their sick hardware. But I don't feel like that's reality speaking.
  20. #40  
    its dying, and dying is not good
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions