Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today I took my Pre in for a tuneup before vacation - battery life had dropped by half this week, email and message screens open upside down, no idea why.

Anyway, the Repair Store declined to look at my Pre or do anything to it because it had Preware - third party applications - not sanctioned by Palm or Sprint.

They in particular noticed the Developer Mode button and battery percent. Since I had "hacked" it, they will notate this. Allegedly it has fried my software and there will be no more repairs on it. If it needs replaced, I will pay insurance deductible.

I'm not happy, I'm downloading 1.4 and might fix, can live with wierdness, but do not like being told Preware, WOSQI is bad, and webdoctorSprint is bad.

So has anyone had any experience - I might or might not need repairs in the future, but it looks like the only way is to call Exec Desk and whine if I do, or shell out $100 after paying monthly forever. This is why I do that.

Has anyone else had this happen? What do you do if you need repair? Its not like Preware is writing and changing codes.
    ive heard this happen before.....the people then go home, doctor their pre, and bring it back and sprint looks at it cuz preware is gone
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    +1 doctor it before repair or they won't work on it
    *shrug* I'll always fix a phone with Preware on it. Guess it depends on the store.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    These are the risks we take when using Preware/Patches. Doctor phone and go back.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post
    *shrug* I'll always fix a phone with Preware on it. Guess it depends on the store.
    Too bad you dont work at my store! I have to take my wife's Pre in soon because the Power button has NO travel and is very hard to press. Unfortunately, most Sprint repair techs are just following protocol, and you cant blame them. A few months before I got my Pre, the guy wouldnt look at my 700p because it had the corroded copper athena connectors on bottom, but it passed the moisture test (I had the device for over a year in humid Fla) and the issue had NOTHING to do with the charging!

People, just delete Preware and the Package Manager before going in (I dont think they can keep up with the apps, since there is an official Palm beta feed not in the App Catalog).

Hey, what if there was an EPR that also erased the Package Manager and Preware, but left a log/file that can help Preware reinstall all patches once you reinstall Preware?
  7.    #7  
    Allegedly the guy "notated" it so nothing can be done to it in the future. Kinda like when something shows wet, you can't go to another store and try again.

I made the comment that I would doctor it and try again in the future if it broke, remove everything, and that's when he said a comment about noting it. I asked why I then pay to have insurance if they won't look at it - he said it was cheaper to buy phone thru it that way than outright - GRRR. Everything I have is Preware, don't buy apps, just tweak and patch for fun improvements. Well, hope it holds up.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Heh. I had a full theme and a messed up OS from modifying code, and the sprint rep still replaced it because it had the "oreo twist"
    since when do the repair stores even attempt to repair the pre?

Last I knew they were not allowed to open it....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I have to take my wife's Pre in soon because the Power button has NO travel and is very hard to press.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...utton-fix.html
    I can't necessarily blame them. It may not be reasonable in your circumstance, but I could see other instances in which someone may claim that their phone has an issue and the patches could be either the culprit or a hindrance to the tech's troubleshooting.

I have had to bring mine in before and just doctored it beforehand. That way, the Tech is comfortable with it, can see the issue on what is clearly a stock device, and I don't run the risk of violating any warranties or insurance policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    since when do the repair stores even attempt to repair the pre?

Last I knew they were not allowed to open it....
    We're not. But for software issues and troubleshooting, power button issues and Volume keys sticking we can get around it. Basically, we just can't 'open' the phone persay. Anything else is kosher.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    I always thought that doctoring your phone before taking in to be "repaired" was kind of a common sense thing to do. (No offense intended, not implying lack of common sense at all)

Anyways, even if he did "Notate" the account, after a doctor they would have no way to "prove" what you did have installed. I'd personally doctor the device to see if you can fix it yourself, and if it doesn't fix your issues I'd be taking that freshly doctored phone right back up there remembering to not mention anything about what you did have on your phone or even doctoring it for that matter. Play stupid like you haven't done anything to it, ever. If you happen to get that same tool just go to the next nearest store.

Just my .02, I've had similar issues before with a different device, don't let them screw you over.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I thought you could smash your phone and return using Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianHal View Post
    your thinking insurance which costs 100 and thats the truth but with the phone being under warranty they wont exchange it under warranty for free if its user error that caused the damage
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Huh, I had the power switch on my hacked phone replaced without question a couple weeks ago-- I've got the battery percentage patch, so it was pretty obvious that I messed with it.

Guess it depends on the problem-- clearly my hardware wouldn't be affected by a software patch.

Kinda surprised that they didn't at least offer to doctor the phone for you and see if you still have problems after the reset...
    hell my sprint store has preware on the store pre and pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Today I took my Pre in for a tuneup before vacation - battery life had dropped by half this week, email and message screens open upside down, no idea why.

Anyway, the Repair Store declined to look at my Pre or do anything to it because it had Preware - third party applications - not sanctioned by Palm or Sprint.

They in particular noticed the Developer Mode button and battery percent. Since I had "hacked" it, they will notate this. Allegedly it has fried my software and there will be no more repairs on it. If it needs replaced, I will pay insurance deductible.

I'm not happy, I'm downloading 1.4 and might fix, can live with wierdness, but do not like being told Preware, WOSQI is bad, and webdoctorSprint is bad.

So has anyone had any experience - I might or might not need repairs in the future, but it looks like the only way is to call Exec Desk and whine if I do, or shell out $100 after paying monthly forever. This is why I do that.

Has anyone else had this happen? What do you do if you need repair? Its not like Preware is writing and changing codes.
    As a former sprint Tech manager.. they can notate the account where even cut care can see the notations and even lable the phone DBR (Damaged Beyond Repair) .... Sounds like you got a ****... because any REAL tech knows that software can not corrupt hardware unless its specifically made to interact with the board.. which preware is not... its like saying Windows media Player fried my Motherboard... Ummm NO it Didnt...
    magnasun moss act<sp>

learn it
    live it
    USE IT

It basically states that THEY have to prove something is the culprit to deny warranty. In the car industry it kind works like if you add new tires that are not approved, they cannot deny warranty work on your a/c etc. But if the rims caused the hubs to wear wrong...well then they have a case.

In your case, s/w is something that cannot affect hardware. But they can ask you to remove the software or refresh the device to factory specs.

Either way I would deal with someone else. Some people are just on a power trip....

EDIT: P.S. and what software is sanctioned by palm and sprint? There is a reason that there are beta feeds etc. After all that though i think you should "tune it up" yourself by running the dr or ask them to do that for you (which would get rid of preware)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianHal View Post
    If you have insurance and want to pay $100 for a replacement then yes, lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast