Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    dont think you need freetether on the GSM Pre, isn't that just for CDMA (US) phones?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

2.    #22  
    No Fre/My/Tether no patch.
    Try this link for more info: (can't get the link to work)
    h-t-t-p://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/226463-auto-enable-ip-forwarding-mobile-hotspot-6.html#post2179547
    Gonna Dr my phone now and try again later, thanks for all your help. I have a feeling that what you have said is actually working fine and it is O2 UK blocking the connection.
    @flying do you have any more info as you say you have it working on O2 UK.
    Works great!

Thanks a lot!
    well got it working but then i get a notification saying "NO SHARING SERVICE, sharing a internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan. Contact your carrier for help." what sucks is that i used to tether all the time with my mogul even had it hooked up to play xbox live from work! shhhh i didn't say that out loud haha. is there anyway around this?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    well got it working but then i get a notification saying "NO SHARING SERVICE, sharing a internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan. Contact your carrier for help." what sucks is that i used to tether all the time with my mogul even had it hooked up to play xbox live from work! shhhh i didn't say that out loud haha. is there anyway around this?
    Follow that Mobile Hotspot for Sprint thread. Free/MyTether shuld help you
    sweet thx
    well i think i found the answer (there's A LOT to read) i turned off blue tooth but still get that notification.... i'm on 1.4 if it makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by colop View Post
    Works great!

Thanks a lot!
    Colop, are you in Germany ?

Just trying to narrow down whether it is O2 UK causing my problem.
    running 1.4 on a German unlocked Pre, in Singapore on M1.

Installation of ipk and copy of mobilehotspotd went smoothly, after a reboot i can turn on the service.
    A few issues, however. When I try to connect my Vista laptop to the Pre, WPA2 takes forever. When i disable the authentication (open), both devices connect smoothly; but Vista tells me "local access only". Could it be my service provider locking me out? :S
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by christcentric View Post
    running 1.4 on a German unlocked Pre, in Singapore on M1.

Installation of ipk and copy of mobilehotspotd went smoothly, after a reboot i can turn on the service.
    A few issues, however. When I try to connect my Vista laptop to the Pre, WPA2 takes forever. When i disable the authentication (open), both devices connect smoothly; but Vista tells me "local access only". Could it be my service provider locking me out? :S
    Did you try "repair connection" or disable and enable WLan on PC?
    Is your netconfig as showed in my picture on page 1?
    oh wait it now works perfectly. restarted wifi on my laptop and the hotspot app on the Pre. Sweet!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stueybuk View Post
    Colop, are you in Germany ?

Just trying to narrow down whether it is O2 UK causing my problem.
    German O2 Pre used in Austria.
    I am on O2 UK and am also having problems with my 1.4 software Pre. Got the MHS service running but can't connect my laptop to it even though the laptop can see the wifi hotspot. Got the ip forwarding patch installed but nada - no dice.

Gotta be O2 putting the block on!!!

EDIT- Check the O2 forum UK site in the Palm Pre section for a thread called Internet Tethering con. This could be the cause.
    Last edited by beastobadness; 03/05/2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Found a thread at O2 uk's forum site
    so do you need to run the script if this is a first time instal on 1.4?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    so do you need to run the script if this is a first time instal on 1.4?
    Run what script? The problem is that in 1.4 they changed the behavior of the mobilehotspotd. If you use bluetooth tethering the mobilehotspotd (daemon or service) will be started when needed.
    This does not work for the Mobile Hotspot app using WLan.
    So you have to place this script in the startup folder of the upstart.
    Then the service will be started when the phone (re)boots.

If you don't place the script there, then the mobile hotspot app will tell you that the service is not running, and you can't switch tethering on.
    Last edited by somline; 03/08/2010 at 02:58 PM.
  17.    #37  
    Some news:
    With this method the mobilehotspotd (service/daemon) restarts every 5 min.
    May drain the battery a bit.

I extracted the Mobile Hotspot App from Verizon. Installing with WebQInst I noticed, that after installing the App is not on the filesystem.
    Looking in the postinst script I saw these 2 lines:
    Code:
    rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot -rf
    rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspotupdate* -rf
    So the app removes itself in the postinst task.
    I commented these 2 lines out and the installation works.

And now the Mobile Hotspot App is starting the mobilehotspotd. No need for the startup script in /etc/event.d

Remember: Tethering (using this method) will only work, if your provider accept tethering. O2 Germany allows that.

- I will try to build an ipkg to install the mobile hotspot app (without the remove part)

EDIT: ipkg build and tested successfully, but not allowed to share a link here (see below).
    EDIT2: Remove the old MHS before installing the new one (thanks GermanPre)
    EDIT3: confirmed working for O2 germany by other members
    EDIT4: confirmed working on simyo germany by dl1ely
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/30/2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Link to illegally distributed software
    Hi, looks nice, but what do you mean with "mobilehotspotd" restarts every 5 min? Is it a software issue? Or intended?
  19.    #39  
    I think they implemented it to save battery. It's not crashing just terminates. I think it terminates if not used after 5 minutes.
    And then upstart is restarting it (because of the respawn entry).
    The verizon version (1.0.11) starts the daemon when needed.
    Last edited by somline; 03/07/2010 at 06:12 AM.
    I thought you don't need the upstart script if you use the Mobile Hotspot application?

/ OK, thanks.
    Last edited by damnregister; 03/07/2010 at 06:14 AM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast