Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I decided I didn't want the new Facebook 1.1 app because it auto-added hundreds of Facebook contacts to my Pre phone contact list. I definitely don't want all these acquaintances clogging up my phone. I deleted the 1.1 app, but when I go to delete the FB contact from my phone, it says "Facebook contacts cannot be deleted." So the app is gone but all these contacts are still showing up.

Any ideas how to get rid of them? Very annoying to go from 150 contacts to 800 all of a sudden! I hardly know some of these people! I've already restarted the phone, powered down and up, but no luck removing them so far...
    Reinstall the FB app, then delete the account from your contacts before uninstalling.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    go to accounts/preferences in contacts, go to facebook, remove account
    wow, could you imagine deleting 650 contacts one at a time lmao...

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    I wish I could keep some of the added facebook contacts and delete others. This would be great because a pic is usually included. Is there anyway to do this (patch?) through the Pre? Is there anyway to do this through facebook, without unfriending the friend, just unselect the contact info for syncing?

Thanks in advance.
    same thing happened to me but with gmail. added every contact i ever had on there and i use it for business. had to delete at least 1000 one at a time. it was not till the last 200 or so i realized there was an app for the swipe delete feature.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone! I don't know why it never occurred to me that the Contacts page itself would have a way to turn off FB syncing. You guys are the best!

By the way 05... I did search before posting. Guess I just didn't type in the "correct" search terms. Then again, if I had known the correct search terms I would have also probably known how to solve my problem in the first place...
    Quote Originally Posted by japclev View Post
    I wish I could keep some of the added facebook contacts and delete others. This would be great because a pic is usually included. Is there anyway to do this (patch?) through the Pre? Is there anyway to do this through facebook, without unfriending the friend, just unselect the contact info for syncing?

Thanks in advance.
    No, there's currently no way to have select Facebook users in your contacts. It's either all or none.

I just let them all populate. It's not really "cluttering up" my contacts, because I don't just open my contacts list and browse. Instead, I use universal search, start typing a person's name, and they show up.

The concept behind the Contacts app on the Pre is that it lists your Contacts, it's not an old style address books. So, it lists your Facebook contacts, Email contacts, Phone contacts, etc. All together.

Use Universal Search for contacts. It's your friend.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    You can in fact remove certain facebook friends from your contacts. On facebook.com remove the friends that you don't want in your phone, and resync the account. The downside is, you permanently loose that friend until you send a friend request back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jifmom View Post
    I decided I didn't want the new Facebook 1.1 app because it auto-added hundreds of Facebook contacts to my Pre phone contact list. I definitely don't want all these acquaintances clogging up my phone. I deleted the 1.1 app, but when I go to delete the FB contact from my phone, it says "Facebook contacts cannot be deleted." So the app is gone but all these contacts are still showing up.

Any ideas how to get rid of them? Very annoying to go from 150 contacts to 800 all of a sudden! I hardly know some of these people! I've already restarted the phone, powered down and up, but no luck removing them so far...
    On a side note, this is exactly my point about facebook! if these people are not deserving to be on your phonebook, why then have them as a "friend" on facebook? to increase your (not talking about you jifmom specifically) friend count and the "i'm cool" cause I have 5000 friends?

I am so sick of people without lifes letting me know about their stupid movie review, or what they are doing at this moment. I deny friend requests every day from people that see me on the street but don't say hi, however I get home and I have a friend request from them - I don't get people these days

Why do I have fecebook then you may ask yourself, I don't know is the answer! or maybe cause if I want to have access to a couple of things that are usefull I must deal with all the rest that comes with it.

End of rant! sorry
    "I'm sorry your phone is smarter than you"
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I hear you zx. In my case, my personal FB account has only 40 of my closest friends and family members. I have a FB account that I use for my business and the public, and while some of those people ARE important contacts, I certainly don't every one of those hundreds of "friends" in my cell phone! I wanted to link both accounts to my Pre for ease of use, but I think I'll just do it the old fashioned way and access it through the "official" FB website.
    What I ended up doing was syncing my Facebook contacts. After they all came in, I exported out using the Email contacts patch (good patch). I imported in gmail and played with them through there and synced them back in using my gmail account. Seems to work, no pics however, but at least I can keep the Facebook contact info I want and delete others.
    Quote Originally Posted by jifmom View Post
    I hear you zx. In my case, my personal FB account has only 40 of my closest friends and family members. I have a FB account that I use for my business and the public, and while some of those people ARE important contacts, I certainly don't every one of those hundreds of "friends" in my cell phone! I wanted to link both accounts to my Pre for ease of use, but I think I'll just do it the old fashioned way and access it through the "official" FB website.
    Not trying to be "in your face", but why do you not want them in your cell phone?

I'd think, especially for the business account, that it would be very impressive if one of those obscure business acquantances called, and you saw on your Pre that it was from Joe Customer (who you don't really know, but he's in your FB list), you could answer the phone "Hi Joe, what can I do for you today?".