Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Frankly, I think the new 1.1 update is only marginally better than the previous version, and the "bookmark" app that comes loaded on the Pre is pretty useless too!

The best way I've found to see FB exactly as it appears on your computer is to go to the web and type in facebook. com in the search box (no spaces -- had to insert it because PreCentral won't let me post a link yet), login in with your username and password info, then when your newsfeed comes up, bookmark that page. If you turn the phone sideways and use the pinch/pull feature to zoom in, it is very easy to navigate and see every single thing that is hitting your news feed exactly as you would see it if you were on your computer. The mobile versions leave too much out.

Just my 2 cents...
    I have to respectfully disagree, I have used every possible thing I could find to make my facebook experience enjoyable.. The Web version is clunky I find myself having to reload constantly, double tapping forwards me to unwanted pages or links.. etc..

By far the latest update to Facebook, allows me to do everything I want .. The only issue i have seen so far is when adding new friends ; as I have not seen the option.. (its not biggie though I get an email notification and add them through there.. I deleted all of my links and apps and will soley use the Palm one from now on.

To each is own I guess.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    There's much to be said for why a native app is "better" than a web page, but...

I'll just say it: I do not like having to zoom. This is not a pleasant user experience. I don't care for the mobile (x, m, and lite) versions of Facebook, but at least they don't require me to zoom in and out to navigate.

This is like going to Louvre and being told that you can only look at one square inch of the Mona Lisa at a time. You're allowed to zoom that square inch as much as you like, but you're not allowed to view the whole thing. Except shrunken down that one square inch.
    hrdcamjc, have you tried it after the update?
    The web verison of facebook is now completely functional as it is on any computer since 1.4 came out. Even on the Pixi, everything loads fast and clear. I use it in landscape mode. The only caveat is some sections of the website require you to zoom a lot.

Since 1.4 the web is the best way!!

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    There's much to be said for why a native app is "better" than a web page, but...

I'll just say it: I do not like having to zoom. This is not a pleasant user experience. I don't care for the mobile (x, m, and lite) versions of Facebook, but at least they don't require me to zoom in and out to navigate.

This is like going to Louvre and being told that you can only look at one square inch of the Mona Lisa at a time. You're allowed to zoom that square inch as much as you like, but you're not allowed to view the whole thing. Except shrunken down that one square inch.
    i like your analogy ... LoL... but ttytt i dont mind the pinching and zooming on facebook.com however if there where a better way to do everything i want say, an app ... as long as it fills my needs than i would rather have the app
    My facebook webpage is no longer working properly. I can log in, but as soon as I touch the screen, all the updates disappear and I have a blank page. Before, just the comments would disappear. The new FB app is much better and easier, plus I don't have to log in anymore.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I agree with the op about using facebooks official page. My only problem with facebook. com is the chat bar isn't locked on the bottom like on my desktop. Instead, I find myself scrolling down to see the bar unlocked and in the middle of the page. This gets a little annoying. Honestly, thats the only advantage for me.

I havent really searched for this, but facebook chat now uses jabber. Someone needs to patch the messanger app to be able to add jabber client, thus adding facebook chat.
    since the 1.4 update I mostly use the regular web page. It works great now. I also use friends book. It does eveything the neww app does and you can upload videos through it. And get notifications.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I certainly respect your right to disagree but here's my beef with the 1.1 app -- about 2/3 of the info on my newsfeed doesn't show up on the app. For example, photos of friends tagged by non-friends don't show up, friends commenting on non-friends' photos don't show up, and those are pics I might want to see. Comments aren't readily available, you can't see what groups your friends are joining, who became friends with who, etc. Now, I realize that some people may not want to see all of that but I DO.

As for only seeing the screen inch by inch -- if you put it in landscape mode you can see the entire newsfeed which has way more information than the app. Not trying to be confrontational; just frustrated by how limiting the app is. Open the app on your phone and then open FB on your computer and compare the newsfeeds -- you'll see just how much info is being left off!
    Last edited by jifmom; 03/04/2010 at 10:36 AM.
    I like the mobile site because it shows notification & etc. I like the app because of the way it syncs with synergy. I installed the messaging pluggin and I now have access to the facebook messenger via jabber thanks to greg. I have a sms sent to me from facebook when I get a notification so using just the app and pluggin is fine with me.
    No not yet but I will chekc it out...

I really believe the only shortcoming of the new app is the lack of notifications; and friend requests... I have really interesting conversations on facebook, and I like to keep up with them (the lack of native notifications irritates me).
    @ Jifmom : : No issues you have a right to disagree .. i will try the web page again.... but definitely always looking for speed as it pertains to FB =)